Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Guest Editors

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KBan
KBan  9456 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 8:05 PM

OK with me

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Apr 2013 - 8:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 9:29 PM

Thanks all
Please check rearranged dates Keith and Anne
22 - 28 Apr - KBan
29 Apr - 5 May - AnneWorner
6 - 12 May -NaturesHaven
Any members who have not been guest editors want a go?

KBan
KBan  9456 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 9:43 PM

Got ya Pete

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6602 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 9:58 PM

Me too.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85835 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 10:07 PM

.we've all just received an EPZ mail about the Big Dog
Quote:

Who the f*** is the Big Dog?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014006 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
20 Apr 2013 - 10:15 PM

Quote: Who the f*** is the Big Dog?

he can often be found chasing tomcats....

WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41022 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England132 Constructive Critique Points
21 Apr 2013 - 5:07 PM

I survived my first bash a while back so willing to go again.

I regularly look in the Forums 'latest topics' but rarely in the others. Maybe a new 'locked' comment requesting volunteers and link it to this one for the rush of people to sign up on ? (Do I get a camera strap for the suggestion? TongueGrin)

Last Modified By WhiteRose1 at 21 Apr 2013 - 5:08 PM
PhillipMinnis
22 Apr 2013 - 12:42 PM

Well, that's my week done and dusted!

I viewed EVERY image (in large format) that was uploaded during the seven days I carried out the role of Guest Editor....and, in my opinion, that's how it should be done, if it is to be done fairly! Consequently, every photograph that was uploaded during the seven days had an equal chance of winning a Guest Editor's award.

Although the job is time consuming.....over an hour each day, it is quite enjoyable!

Whenever I carry out the duty, I try very hard not to let my personal preferences (genre-wise) influence which images receive awards. There were some images that did not appeal to me personally (genre-wise), however, they were technically very good, and they had a certain 'wow' factor, hence they received an award. Conversely, there were some images that appealed to me, genre-wise, consequently, I had to be sure that I was not awarding specifically for that reason.

I especially made an effort to award images from a wide range of genres. Yes, I really like long exposure seascape images, and to be perfectly honest, I wanted to award nearly every one that I viewed...and a fair share of them did receive an award from me. However, a great number of photographers on the site don't capture this genre of image, so I felt that during my time as Guest Editor, to be fair to all of the photographers on the site, who don't prefer to capture this genre of image, it was important that I carefully viewed the images that they prefer to shoot......flowers, people, architecture etc. etc. and give them an equal chance of receiving an award.

Birds are a genre that I have never tackled during my photographic journey. I have to admit that I know nothing about birds that live in the UK (or Australia, for that matter)....the ones that are particularly rare; the ones that are relatively common; the ones that are easy to capture, or the ones that are very difficult to capture. Without this knowledge, I could only award a bird image if the bird was pin sharp (where it really mattered); it was well positioned within the frame; captured with what I believed is was an excellent use of depth of field, and, once again, that had a certain 'wow' factor. I'm very aware that there are photographers on the site, who specifically capture bird images, and, perhaps, were not too impressed by my choices. However, like all forms of art or photographic judging, it can be very subjective, and I guess this was the perfect example of that.

I am quite sure there are photographers on the site who were mortified by the number of awards that I issued during my time as Guest Editor, this time round. I have not counted how many awards I handed out, however, I guess it would be in the vicinity of 120-140 during the seven days that I carried out the duty. Perhaps there are others who feel that number is not too many. Once again, I guess it's another example of subjectivity.

Anyway, I guess, by now, many of you will be thinking that I'm prattling on, so I'd best stop writing, and let you get on with shooting some great images!

I urge my fellow photographers on the site, who have not, as yet, devoted a few hours in a seven day period to nominate for being Guest Editor. I think it is important that we have a wide range of judges carry out this duty....not the same ones. I've carried out the duty three times in the last six or seven months, and that's probably too often in some people's eyes! Grin However, I nominated each time because the site was at risk of not having a Guest Editor during the period in which I carried out the duty. Let's pull together to ensure the site has a wide range of photographers carring out the duty of Guest Editor, otherwise, in a couple of months' time, you might be lumbered with me, again! Grin

Last Modified By PhillipMinnis at 22 Apr 2013 - 12:49 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
22 Apr 2013 - 12:57 PM

Great summary Phillip, thanks for your detailed appraisal, and also your suggestion that those who haven't done it do so Smile

AnneWorner
AnneWorner e2 Member 6602 forum postsAnneWorner vcard United States41 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2013 - 2:41 PM

I apologize for short notice - again.

I've developed complications after a surgery and will not be able to do the GE spot next week.

Anne

Pete
24 Apr 2013 - 3:56 PM

No problem Anne, and sorry to hear of the complications, hope things get sorted.

Any one else want to take over next week's spot?

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Apr 2013 - 4:45 PM

I wouldn't mind helping out Pete , wont be around on the saturday but free all week if that's any good for you ?

Andrew

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 24 Apr 2013 - 4:48 PM
WhiteRose1
WhiteRose1 e2 Member 41022 forum postsWhiteRose1 vcard England132 Constructive Critique Points
25 Apr 2013 - 2:10 PM

Quite happy to do it if Andrew's offer is not taken up.

Dave

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Apr 2013 - 6:57 AM

Havent heard anything back so presuming not needed ?

PhillipMinnis
26 Apr 2013 - 7:18 AM

What is going on on this site? There have been hardly any awards being given out since I carried out the duty of Guest Editor. There used to be quite a few HCs and a couple of EC's given out each day. In the last few weeks, the awarding process appears to have become quite spasmodic and less are being handed out. Does this mean that the standard of images being uploaded has significantly dropped, or is the concept of having awards on the site being weaned out? Just wondering....

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.