Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Guest Editors

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

andytvcams
andytvcams  1210396 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Dec 2009 - 12:45 PM

Quote: Now that everyone ON EPZ!!!!, has e2 membership, I have to view EVERYTHING large!!!
Jonah

One would hope that none E2 members would be given E2 membership for the week that they are GE.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Dec 2009 - 12:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NickParry
NickParry  91016 forum posts Wales79 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2009 - 2:21 PM

I'm looking forward to my stint from the 28th.

I have set myself some ground rules too. I wont be looking at the names of the photographers, or looking through my favourite photographers. I do hereby declare that all subject matter will be appraised, every image viewed, and that I will afford the task sufficient time during the week ... so help me God Smile

Nick Smile

Last Modified By NickParry at 25 Dec 2009 - 2:21 PM
tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95940 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2009 - 3:56 PM

best of luck Nick Wink

No doubt you will be lambasted whichever route you chose Smile

However it will be have been your choice at the end of the day and it is that what really matters

Have a great day,or what is left of it

Adrian

MikeH
MikeH  9217 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
25 Dec 2009 - 6:22 PM

Nick, you have chosen to follow a steep and tricky path and for that we are all thankful.
Remember the saying 'You can't please some of the people any of the time' ! LOL
I think your idea of not looking at names will be interesting and a damn good idea, lets see what comes out in the wash.
May God ( or suitably qualified protector) be at your side,
Mike

User_Removed
25 Dec 2009 - 8:24 PM

Its just Guest Editor Awards. and FUN.... if any-one takes the chosen images seriously then they have a serious lack of confidence.

Smile

Alan_Coles
26 Dec 2009 - 10:19 AM

Quote: Its just Guest Editor Awards. and FUN.... if any-one takes the chosen images seriously then they have a serious lack of confidence.

Think you will find that most awards on here are taken very seriously by quite a lot of people wether they are picked by Pete or the Guest Editor - that is why there are so many threads shall I say fall into the "juicy" category.

jonah794
jonah794  51723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2009 - 10:25 AM

I am thoroughly enjoying my role as guest editor. However, I do agree that the shots I choose HAVE to be fairly chosen, worked out WHY they are good and WHAT I like about them. Then I am able to comment and give an award. There are shots I have come across that sort of made me go hmmm.... but never actually gave them an award. I know that people for all I know might celebrate an award I gave and get drunk and be ill! (no that won't happen...). But anyway, people to appreciate receiving an award, and I DO enjoy giving them, mainly to appreciate their appreciation, but I do take it seriously and focus on the task at hand and give out the right award to the right pictures.
Jonah

Alan_Coles
26 Dec 2009 - 10:47 AM

For a Junior to take on the awards task shows great confidence in one's ability Jonah and for that I am sure will do you well in your future life.

From your selections I would make some observations. Not noticed much difference to the regular selections and this can mean a few things really. Those getting awards on a regular basis have filled the majority of your choices this week - which for me means that either your selections have been "safe" (for want of a better expression) or it shows you have made choices that shows you have a good eye for the "more excellent" image shall I say - ie, those that Pete has regularly awarded his prestigious awards too. No one is ging to agree with you, Pete or anyone on all the awards selected as shown by previous threads but if you are happy enough with them that is all that matters I would say.

Just one observation on your selections I noticed....pete awarded a footie action shot and looking at the times frames on your selections you seem to have gone back and given it the the award after Pete's approval?.. did you not think that it was worthy until it had Pete's selection or was his award a prompt to go back and have another look?

jonah794
26 Dec 2009 - 10:59 AM

Ahh...

Thought someone would point that out. I saw it in the gallery and dissmissed it for a while. Then later on, I go through the different galleries especially RCs to see if there was anything I have missed. Then I saw this one again. It took some coming back to but I grew to the image - I think that is fair to say. I did the same to 'arhb's' picture of the eagle owl and the squirrel, I commented, didn't like it much, came back and it really made me go wow the second time - when I had time to actually stand back and admire the picture itself. So - I gave it an award.

My choices - you are right do tend to be "safe". But, I only choose images that make ME go wow! There are some images that Pete chooses as HCs or ECs that just don't mean much to me. That is why - I dont give them my award! I love the precise wildlife shots. I gave you one for example on an LTT (I actually did that about 20 mins ago as I was surfing through your PF..). The one place where I would disagree with safe is when I awarded in an area I am not familiar with at all. I awarded my first portrait shot - to somebody who had no photographic past I could recognise because he had just joined, with what I thought was a good picture. I cannot really judge that type of picture - I don't know what I am looking for in a portrait - I just compared it to any image I would be looking at for different styles. I loved the lighting especially, the face, the pose, the composition - everything was right, whatever the picture it may have been. That same picture then went on the make an EC!! And then he sent me a PM saying thank you VERY much for that - it made his day. Then the next day, Pete started to recognise him, and have him an HC, on a superb picture. I also have GEA on that shot before he gave an HC.

The way that many of Pete's choices seem to be mine is odd. Maybe great minds think alike Wink But, it tells me I am choosing the kind of pictures he agrees with. If other people don't agree - fair enough, that is what the GE is for. That person can volunteer for next time, and then they can have their say on what THEY think deserves a worthy award.

Jonah

jonah794
26 Dec 2009 - 12:56 PM

Quote: prompt to go back and have another look

Yes it was

NickParry
NickParry  91016 forum posts Wales79 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2009 - 1:47 PM

Quote: Best of luck Nick

No doubt you will be lambasted whichever route you chose

However it will be have been your choice at the end of the day and it is that what really matters

Have a great day,or what is left of it

Adrian

Thanks for that Smile

Although some see the process as not one to be taken seriously, I will take it seriously.

I will also not be looking at what Pete awards with EC/HCs for my week. If we come up with the same shots then it will be down to coincidence, and the fact that the shot is an all round good one in the eyes of two judges.

Nick Smile

jonah794
26 Dec 2009 - 2:02 PM

Quote: I will also not be looking at what Pete awards with EC/HCs for my week. If we come up with the same shots then it will be down to coincidence, and the fact that the shot is an all round good one in the eyes of two judges.

Thats exactly what I have tried to do this week. It was utter coincedence that a few of my shots I chose for GEA were also chosen for his awards. If you look at timings - he awarded his HCs and ECs after I awarded my GEAs.

Jonah

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2009 - 4:41 PM

Quote: Although some see the process as not one to be taken seriously, I will take it seriously.

Glad to here it...you can be sure that I take it seriously too, but I understand if people prefer not to take them seriously...your prerogative. Rest assured they're considered serious by the team or we just wouldn't bother...they've caused enough grief over the years it would be much easier to discontinue the awards.

Quote: I will also not be looking at what Pete awards with EC/HCs for my week. If we come up with the same shots then it will be down to coincidence, and the fact that the shot is an all round good one in the eyes of two judges.

Also glad to hear.

Quote: It was utter coincedence that a few of my shots I chose for GEA were also chosen for his awards. If you look at timings - he awarded his HCs and ECs after I awarded my GEAs.

True I viewed some of the gallery later and it was good to see you'd already picked some that I awarded. I must say I am impressed at not only your ability (although seemingly biased towards wildlife/birds), but also how you react in the forum, very sound minded. A star in my eyes.

Last Modified By Pete at 26 Dec 2009 - 4:43 PM
jonah794
26 Dec 2009 - 4:53 PM

Quote: True I viewed some of the gallery later and it was good to see you'd already picked some that I awarded. I must say I am impressed at not only your ability (although seemingly biased towards wildlife/birds), but also how you react in the forum, very sound minded. A star in my eyes.

Thanks Pete Grin Yes I am a bit of a fan of wildlife shots...

I am pleased that you made up the idea of GEA, it gives others the chance to have their say. Yes my choices are VERY similar to some of yours, but I think they show techinical excellence! I am a fan of the wildlife shots - but I also appreciate landscapes, as you can see I have awarded several of them also. I also like abstracts and portraits. If you read my earlier post you would have seen how I gave awards to people who had never received awards before.

Pete, that picture of a portrait taken by 'aleci' called 'for bitter or worse'... did you see that in my gallery and give it an EC or did you go through the normal gallery and see it? That member was producing some super stuff! I was quite pleased to get them recognised. I was also pleased I gave Ron, 'Maiwand' an award as his pictures are also very impessive - and in my view, he deserves many awards.

Can you put the GEA awards people have received at the top of their PFs? Or is that spot reserved for your awards. Sometimes, I feel that GEA is a recognisable award, and that they should be able to showcase the fact that they got one. It would give a chance for some people to have a bar at the top of their gallery with a superb picture there.

What do you think of that?

Thanks for your comment... I like to mingle in the forums... I have met some great people here!

Jonah

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
26 Dec 2009 - 5:00 PM

Quote: did you see that in my gallery and give it an EC or did you go through the normal gallery and see it?

I always give awards before looking beyond the photo, and then when I've made a decision and I've clicked the award I sometimes spend time seeing who's taken the shot, what people have said and, in this case, that you gave an award.

Quote: Can you put the GEA awards people have received at the top of their PFs?

No it's a new feature and that element hasn't been considered. The same goes for User Awards and RCs. We are having a gallery revamp in the new year and will be building in some new functionality that will help.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.