Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Guest Editors

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64404 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jun 2012 - 3:34 PM

I hope you swore that on your Canon instruction manual Ann. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jun 2012 - 3:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64404 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2012 - 12:32 PM

What a bumper crop of GE awards we've had this week.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43858 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2012 - 3:24 PM

Quote: What a bumper crop of GE awards we've had this week.

279 and counting...

JJGEE
JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2012 - 3:38 PM

Quote: 279 and counting...

Is that not too many for one week ?

Brian_Scott
Brian_Scott e2 Member 542 forum postsBrian_Scott vcard United Kingdom27 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2012 - 3:45 PM

Or is it that the standard of work is just amazing this week Tongue

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43858 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2012 - 3:55 PM

Quote: 279 and counting...

Is that not too many for one week ?

Quote: Or is it that the standard of work is just amazing this week Tongue

Easy to confuse quality and quantity...Wink

Last Modified By saltireblue at 10 Jun 2012 - 3:56 PM
bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91899 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2012 - 9:10 PM

Pete wrote recently.

Quote: IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS
When you log in on that week you will have a new button under the photo that allows you to select Guest Editor awards for pictures.

Please look at all photos uploaded to the gallery in your allocated week and only select the photos you think are outstanding - it's quality over quantity please.

The guy this week obviously did not read this.

Some excellent images have been awarded this week - amongst the worst I have ever seen on site.

eye-chart.jpg

Might have been worth him looking at this first.Grin

User_Removed
10 Jun 2012 - 9:24 PM

Seems to be that the GE might have awarded images they'd normally have click voted on rather than only outstanding images. The problem with awarding one well-shot - but not that special image - is you then may feel obliged to award all others of the same standard...

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 10:25 AM

The person concerned only has two images in his gallery - one a distinctly average picture of a Vulcan bomber and the other a so-so shot of Brian May performing - so it's rather difficult to tell where his particular photographic interests lie or even where his images fit in the quality-spectrum (on the strength of thsoe two, I'd say towards the low end...Wink)

Perhaps it should be harder to award a GEA? Maybe after pressing the BRB* a requester could pop up reminding the Guest Editor of a few basic points and asking if s/he is really sure about giving the award?** It won't be 100% foolproof but it should give people pause for thought.

Just a suggestion...

*Big Red Button Smile
**If that hasn't already been implemented. It's been a while since my last stint.

Last Modified By joolsb at 11 Jun 2012 - 10:26 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 10:40 AM

Generally the system works well. As long as the GE visits this forum and reads the instructions below it should be fine. You have to remember that everyone has different ideas and that's one of the advantages of the GE Award. It's different each week, and no one can complain that they are constantly being singled out, or that the judging is biased (like they do with my choice )

Thanks to all recent GEs and to those who volunteered to step in if one doesn't turn up

This week it's
11 - 17 Jun: jdthecat

then
18 - 24 Jun: danielwaters
25 Jun - 1 Jul: AnnChown
2 - 8 July: efactsphoto
9 - 15 Jul: Laurel_Steinbeck
16 -22 Jul: NaturesHaven
Week in August: GLENVIC

IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS
When you log in on that week you will have a new button under the photo that allows you to select Guest Editor awards for pictures.

Please look at all photos uploaded to the gallery in your allocated week and only select the photos you think are outstanding - it's quality over quantity please. You can still vote as normal on pictures you like while reserving your awards for those you think are special

Also please do not just select pictures from your favorite genres or ones uploaded by your connections or friends. We are looking for an unbiased selection. If you don't feel you can meet any of this criteria please stand down.

The button becomes active at 0:00 on Monday and runs right through the week and stays active on the following Monday so you can catch up with Sunday's uploads

many thanks

Last Modified By Pete at 11 Jun 2012 - 4:42 PM MODERATOR POST
saltireblue
11 Jun 2012 - 12:08 PM

As I was bored at work, I went through the past week's awards - I know, get a life, etc, but I was very bored todaySmile

325 awards
30 people recieived 2 awards during the week
6 people received 3 awards

Today's useless informationWink

Suppose I'd better start to look as if I am actually working nowSad

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 11 Jun 2012 - 12:19 PM
Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114511 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 1:15 PM

It's a shame when this happens as it takes away any kudos or respect for the award. I believe we should still keep it. Although a maximum of 14-21 awards in any one week or 2-3 per day I'd have thought is more than enough for anybody.

325 in a week!........Shouldn't be possible IMHO

Put a limit on the amount and it would make the GE of the week consider his/her decisions all the more.

Ade

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 11 Jun 2012 - 1:20 PM
CaroleS
CaroleS e2 Member 434 forum postsCaroleS vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 1:41 PM

I received my first GEA last week. I have been working towards and looking forward to getting a GEA for 2 years and however delighted as I was to receive it, the sheer quantity and quality of the Awards given last week tarnished the experience for me. I was far happier to receive a single vote on one of my images from Pete recently.

Carole

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 2:03 PM

Hmm.... looks like the GEAs may be going down the same road, in terms of credibility, as RCs. Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 2:11 PM

Quote: Hmm.... looks like the GEAs may be going down the same road, in terms of credibility, as RCs

Lets not get too dramatic - it's just a blip - one GE with a much lower threshold.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.