Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Guest Editors

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139461 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 2:24 PM

The suggestions, about being a bit more discriminating about who is chosen to be GE, are valid though. Smile

Interesting you implicitly agree about the RCs, Pete. Lol! Tongue Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Jun 2012 - 2:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 2:31 PM

Quote: The suggestions, about being a bit more discriminating about who is chosen to be GE, are valid though.

True totally valid as I have not given any level of discrimination. Apart from this latest incident the process and awards have been very well received.
Quote:
Interesting you implicitly agree about the RCs, Pete. Lol!

Sadly yes

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 2:43 PM

I don`t know what the problem is, get over it and move on, the GE only last one week.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43927 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 3:37 PM

Quote: I don`t know what the problem is, get over it and move on, the GE only last one week.

Paul, people discuss it because they are interested in maintaining a certain standard, and would rather the standard be maintained than see the GEA disappear.
By openly discussing what has happened this week helps to highlight 'the problem' and even though it is only concerns one week, the discussion might help.
We wouldn't post about it if we didn't give a proverbial.

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 11 Jun 2012 - 3:38 PM
User_Removed
11 Jun 2012 - 4:41 PM

Pete, stick in the instructions something like "don't forget you can still vote as normal on pictures you like whilst reserving your awards for those you think are special."

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 4:43 PM

Quote: Pete, stick in the instructions something like "don't forget you can still vote as normal on pictures you like whilst reserving your awards for those you think are special."

good idea - done - and made bold, along with the line quality over quantity Smile

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 5:17 PM

325 GEAs in one week and I didn't get a single one of them?!? I guess I should have uploaded a picture of a kitten.... Wink

Still, I got two HC's in that time so I must be doing something right. Smile

Last Modified By joolsb at 11 Jun 2012 - 5:18 PM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72277 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 5:50 PM

I was quite dissappointed when I didn't get a GEA for my last upload...... had to settle for a EC...Wink

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 6:14 PM

Quote: I was quite dissappointed when I didn't get a GEA for my last upload...... had to settle for a EC...Wink

Which is still only someones opinion on your picWinkTongue

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64440 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 6:26 PM

Well I don't know why we have GEs then if you don't think they're worth anything. We'd all like an HC or EC but hardly any of us are likely to get one.
I'll bear the above in mind if I'm ever a GE again, not that anyone'd be bothered. Wink

Last Modified By SlowSong at 11 Jun 2012 - 6:27 PM
lawbert
11 Jun 2012 - 6:51 PM

Quote: Well I don't know why we have GEs then if you don't think they're worth anything. We'd all like an HC or EC but hardly any of us are likely to get one.
I'll bear the above in mind if I'm ever a GE again, not that anyone'd be bothered. Wink

I recieved 2 GE awards this week and it filled me with pride, If the GE had looked at the exif and my explanation of the pics as advertised on the upload page then maybe that was taken into consideration, I would like to think so and I thank the GE very much for the awards.
As for EC and HC awards I have only ever recieved one which was to be fair for probably the least original or technically correct image compared to many others in my PF, I was however chuffed to get it and it got far more votes than it deserved!!
The GEA should be left solely to the person that week and however to pick as many choices as they want, It may even encourage members to post more, I know this at the cost of not showing the ultimate pics on the front page of epz but who has the time to spend weeks setting up a shot and contless hours processing it!! Not me and im guessing 90% of epz members!!
Guest Editors shouldnt be restricted to rules or else people wont want to do it, or just the ones that are a bit anal willTongue

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43927 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 7:05 PM

Quote:

Guest Editors shouldnt be restricted to rules or else people wont want to do it, or just the ones that are a bit anal willTongue

So I am anal am I, Paul?

Because I wanted to do the week, and I chose to stick to the guidelines of quality over quantity?
If the GE cannot accept that proviso, then they should not do the week.
EPZ lays down the guidelines, and although they are not fixed-in-stone rules and regs, they should at least be respected.
And contrary to what you say, I would guess that 99% do not spend weeks setting up the shot and countless hours processing.
I feel you are exagerrating a great deal.

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 11 Jun 2012 - 7:37 PM
lawbert
11 Jun 2012 - 7:13 PM

Quote: Guest Editors shouldnt be restricted to rules or else people wont want to do it, or just the ones that are a bit anal willTongue
So I am anal am I, Paul?

Because I wanted to do the week, and I chose to stick to the guidelines of quality over quantity?
If the GE cannot accept that proviso, then they should not do the week.
EPZ lays down the guidelines, and although they are not fixed-in-stone rules and regs, they should at least be respected.
And contrary to what you say, I would guess that 99% do not spend weeks setting up the shot and countless hours processing.
I feel you are exagerrating a great deal.

Oh, and BTW, even though my skills behind the viewfinder are limited, I can recognise quality, and many of those 325 images left me ( and others) shaking heads in confusion at the choices. That is not getting at your images as I haven't seen them.

Malc

As I was bored at work, I went through the past week's awards - I know, get a life, etc, but I was very bored todaySmile

325 awards
30 people recieived 2 awards during the week
6 people received 3 awards

Today's useless informationWink

Suppose I'd better start to look as if I am actually working nowSad

Malc

Ahem, no disrespect Malc but only you can be the judge of thatTongue

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91904 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 7:20 PM

Quote: If the GE had looked at the exif and my explanation of the pics as advertised on the upload page then maybe that was taken into consideration, I would like to think so and I thank the GE very much for the awards.

Thats a cracker- Naivety with a capital N - he barely looked at the images.GrinGrinGrin

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jun 2012 - 7:24 PM

Quote: Paul, people discuss it because they are interested in maintaining a certain standard

What standard, who`s standard ?

Seems to me a very small minority are upset again.

I thought that the idea of the GA was to award what was in your own view the very best, not Pete`s, not Joe Bloggs, your very own, we are all different.

Quote: So I am anal am I, Paul?

Your words, not mine, get over it and move on Smile Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 11 Jun 2012 - 7:27 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.