Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Guest Editors

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54203 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 10:50 AM

Ah, normality is resumed. Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Jun 2012 - 10:50 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lawbert
lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 7:10 PM

Quote: Lawbert , you are getting on my tits and birds on sticks.

What criteria would you apply if you were to volunteer to be G.E ?

Youve got birds on sticks on your tits? Each to thier own I guess, Peculiar though that I am involved in your fetish....Im gonna take it as a compliment thoughTongue

As to my criteria for the GE (and if you look back to the start of this thread I did offer but my views werent recieved to well by the guvnor!!)

I would look at equipment used, An L lens or equivalent from a different manufacturer is by far the best as we all should know,
Cameras are a lot less important to a good photo but there should be a clear evidence of understanding of equipment and then PP.
And if theres 50 a day that meet that reqirement then a GE should be awarded.

Totally agree with Steve_S though, and I would add that its one big advert (which it has to be to make money I guess) and would also add that the customers of the site are the bread and butter that pumps up the stats that get the adverts in....Ho Hum..Its a viscious circle.

But lets not knock last weeks GE for having his own mind awarding what what he felt was good photography....He took the time to look through the gallery every day and should be commended for thatWink

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43607 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 7:33 PM

Quote:

As to my criteria for the GE /............

I would look at equipment used, An L lens or equivalent from a different manufacturer is by far the best as we all should know,
Cameras are a lot less important to a good photo /....................................

Sorry, lawbert, but that is rubbish.
An outstanding image is not dependant on an L lens or equivalent.
An outstanding image is far, far more than the badge on the equipment.
The equipment doesn't even figure in the meaning of a what is a truly outstanding image.

Malc

lawbert
lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 7:45 PM

I havent put myself across clearly Malc
The lens or camera doesnt matter to the GE award,
have a search back through the EC,s and HC, The majority are all top end equipment, especially the wildlife ones.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 8:03 PM

Quote: The lens or camera doesnt matter to the GE award,
have a search back through the EC,s and HC, The majority are all top end equipment, especially the wildlife ones.

The last time I looked the most popular image on here was the famous "max" image, that was taken with a compact I believe. (I can't work out how to search images anymore on here to check)

The controversy surrounding last weeks GE has probably meant he will no longer frequent the site, and I can't blame him. When it became apparant that the no of awards were on the high side maybe a friendly nudge via pm may have been more beneficial, after all he isn't a regular on site.

I too am concerned by how many awards are around these days, I always argued for example that the user award should be for images that were special, not to be handed out like confetti each day.

There was a time when only ECs were shown in the PF header, and when I started out I used to browse these with gusto, trying to figure out what made them special. I'm not sure the GEA is used in the same way, or the way it was originally intended.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43607 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 8:08 PM

Quote: I havent put myself across clearly Malc
The lens or camera doesnt matter to the GE award,

Paul...
So why did you say in your previous post that you would look at the equipment used? You are contradicting yourself.

A master will always be able to produce top quality work no matter what tools are used.
Someone without the imagination and the 'seeing eye' and the knowledge of techniques will never produce quality even using the best equipment in the world.

Malc

saltireblue
12 Jun 2012 - 8:12 PM

Quote:
I too am concerned by how many awards are around these days, I always argued for example that the user award should be for images that were special, not to be handed out like confetti each day.

There was a time when only ECs were shown in the PF header, and when I started out I used to browse these with gusto, trying to figure out what made them special. I'm not sure the GEA is used in the same way, or the way it was originally intended.

I agree, Nick, and even though I can use my UA every day now, I am not using it more often than I did before when it could only be awarded once a week. Why? Because as you say, flood the site with awards and they become worthless.
I also believe a weekly /daily limit on the number of GEA's should be discussed/considered.

Malc

Eviscera
Eviscera  81097 forum posts United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 8:36 PM

The dynamic of the site did change for the worse with a daily UA being available.

Its all well and good having the occasional poll on cosmetic changes , but options like daily UAs really should have been a poll decision.

No idea who the numptie was that decided to allow that one through , but maybe it could revert back to one a week , seemed a good status quo then. Smile

I dont think there should be a limit on the number of GEAs awarded salty , just a better vetting process as to who is allowed to do it.

saltireblue
12 Jun 2012 - 8:39 PM

Quote:

I dont think there should be a limit on the number of GEAs awarded salty , just a better vetting process as to who is allowed to do it.

Good point, taken onboard and accepted as a better alternative.

Malc (aka salty)Wink

Last Modified By saltireblue at 12 Jun 2012 - 8:46 PM
bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91887 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 8:43 PM

Quote: When it became apparant that the no of awards were on the high side maybe a friendly nudge via pm may have been more beneficial, after all he isn't a regular on site.

I agree - assuming that you mean a PM from the site management.

Steve_S
Steve_S e2 Member 8176 forum postsSteve_S vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 9:01 PM

Quote: I dont think there should be a limit on the number of GEAs awarded salty , just a better vetting process as to who is allowed to do it.

Agree also, but what criteria are you going to use? A current prescription from your optician? I don't think its feasible. But, yes go back to 1 UA a week, it won't cure the problem but it will help stop the flood. When you think about it, at the moment there are more awards available each day than photos being uploaded....that can't be right can it?

Last Modified By Steve_S at 12 Jun 2012 - 9:02 PM
Eviscera
Eviscera  81097 forum posts United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 9:13 PM

Quote: what criteria are you going to use

1.Being an active member for over a year. (Doesn't matter if E2 paid or not)

2. Having a porfolio of images , at least some of which are current.

3. A basic understanding of what makes a good photograph.

4. Flexible thinking to appreciate cross genre imagery.

5. Absolutely no click club hoes

oops , I digress Wink

Steve_S
Steve_S e2 Member 8176 forum postsSteve_S vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 9:22 PM

But how can you vet points 3,4 and 5?

Steve_S
12 Jun 2012 - 9:28 PM

Oh, and does it matter what standard your portfolio images are Grin Maybe last weeks GE met these requirements

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 9:31 PM

When it comes to moments like this I always think back to a fable Ian Andrews sent me when we had a similar - "you should do it like this" moment many years ago. Here's the fable

Quote: A MAN and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: “You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?”

So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: “See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides.”

So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn’t gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: “Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along.”

Well, the Man didn’t know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said: “Aren’t you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor Donkey of yours—you and your hulking son?”

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the Donkey’s feet to it, and raised the pole and the Donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

“That will teach you,” said an old man who had followed them:

“PLEASE ALL, AND YOU WILL PLEASE NONE.”

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.