Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Guest Editors

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Steve_S
Steve_S e2 Member 8176 forum postsSteve_S vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 9:45 PM

Should have stuck with ECs and HCs Pete Grin If people don't agree with your decisions why should they agree with Guest Editors? And to make even more awards available was IMHO not the way. If you enter a competition and have to write a jingle or something, and you don't win and don't agree with the judge or judges, they won't say well we'll let everyone win to keep everyone happy. Its just tough.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Jun 2012 - 9:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 9:48 PM

Quote: Should have stuck with ECs and HCs Pete

Hindsight is a wonderful thing Smile and, to be honest, every time we do a poll on what people want the majority are happy

Last Modified By Pete at 12 Jun 2012 - 9:50 PM
Eviscera
Eviscera e2 Member 81102 forum postsEviscera vcard United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 10:02 PM

Im off to poundland then.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73852 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 10:17 PM

Quote: When it comes to moments like this I always think back to a fable Ian Andrews sent me when we had a similar - "you should do it like this" moment many years ago. Here's the fable

A MAN and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: “You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?”

So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: “See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides.”

So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn’t gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: “Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along.”

Well, the Man didn’t know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said: “Aren’t you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor Donkey of yours—you and your hulking son?”

The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the Donkey’s feet to it, and raised the pole and the Donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge, and his fore-feet being tied together he was drowned.

“That will teach you,” said an old man who had followed them:

“PLEASE ALL, AND YOU WILL PLEASE NONE.”

Ab Lincoln summed it up more succinctly Pete

"You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

.... Not that it did him much good Wink

Last Modified By Nick_w at 12 Jun 2012 - 10:20 PM
Steve_S
Steve_S e2 Member 8176 forum postsSteve_S vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 10:21 PM

Of course I can undertand why you want to keep the majority happy Pete, but if you are going to have a policy of making awards available, keep the numbers of them at a level where if you get one you might have a half decent image otherwise there's no point. I posted a few photos on flickr some time ago and couldn't believe some of the things on there....if you accept this award you have to give 10 out ! Is that where EPZ is heading? I hope not.....I soon stopped posting. I'm sure there's loads of happy people on there though Wink

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jun 2012 - 10:22 PM

Quote: Im off to poundland then.

You can get some amazing bargains there amongst all the regular stuff

Quote: Is that where EPZ is heading?

No Steve we just heard lots of feedback regarding the limited award and decided to make it one a day. It's not too much considering there are 800 or so photos posted each day

Last Modified By Pete at 12 Jun 2012 - 10:24 PM
Steve_S
12 Jun 2012 - 10:32 PM

Quote: It's not too much considering there are 800 or so photos posted each day

But that means at least 800 awards available every day (more really because you don't have to post to make an award) plus GEAs plus HCs plus ECs !

Steve_S
12 Jun 2012 - 10:38 PM

Oh. And POTW but they are a rare bird Grin Tongue

flamesworddragon

Well as the offending GEA in question, I am deeply sorry to have caused so much offence by being a little overzealous with my awards a few weeks ago!

For what it was worth:-
I visited every day, and looked at every picture posted!
I considered genre that was different to my own interests and perspectives!
I didn't get hung up on equipment used, or nessarily the perfect shot!!
I considered all types of members - from juniors through to "obvious" professional!

I had a lot of pleasant emails and for that I enjoyed my week as GE. To now have read this public outburst I can confidently say that I will not be volunteering again!

I may only have 2 pictures posted on here, but elsewhere I have a more extensive portfolio - I enjoy taking the pictures and capturing the moment - I am not so happy about the public roasting!!!

flamesworddragon

Quote: When it became apparant that the no of awards were on the high side maybe a friendly nudge via pm may have been more beneficial, after all he isn't a regular on site.
I agree - assuming that you mean a PM from the site management.

Yes it would have been nice to have been warned that I had exceeded my allowance - but the lesson has been learnt after such a public roasting!

scrimmy
scrimmy e2 Member 6365 forum postsscrimmy vcard Scotland5 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 6:44 PM

I will register an interest here and now as being a recipient of a GEA being discussed. I was "chuffed" to bits to receive it, should I now regard it as being demeaning or of less consequence? I don't think so. An honest man did an honest job. You may not agree but that's what it is all about, personal opinion. I think it is a great shame that flamesworddragon feel's he has "offended" and that he will not be volunteering again. Personally I would like to express my thanks.

Think I'll go off now and start another wedding photography thread, take the heat off the poor man. Tongue After all Lucian has no images in his portfolio Tongue

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43858 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 6:45 PM

Quote:
Yes it would have been nice to have been warned that I had exceeded my allowance - but the lesson has been learnt after such a public roasting!

There is no "allowance", but perhaps you should have read the guidelines, and this extract in particular, a bit closer:

Quote: Please look at all photos uploaded to the gallery in your allocated week and only select the photos you think are outstanding - it's quality over quantity please. You can still vote as normal on pictures you like while reserving your awards for those you think are special

Malc

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315244 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 6:54 PM

Quote: Well as the offending GEA in question, I am deeply sorry to have caused so much offence by being a little overzealous with my awards a few weeks ago!

From what I`ve seen and read you have done nothing wrong, I would not let it worry you.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114511 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 9:46 PM

Done & Dusted, lets all move on Grin

Ade

John_Frid
John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 10:03 PM

I would have thought that the concept of having a GE is to ensure a broader spectrum of people have the chance to highlight images that they feel are worthy of specific and more high profile attention. I am not sure the individual GE should be constrained from giving awards to those images that they feel worthy simply because they have reached an arbitrary cut off number. If the GE thinks an image is worthy then give it an award - it matters not if that is just 1 image or a thousand (or any other number).

There will always be those who will disagree with what is chosen (or not chosen), but that is not the fault of the GE. As long as the GE feels an image is worthy it requires no further explanation. The beauty is that anyone can be a GE - so if you don't like what one GE chooses then have a go yourself.

The one thing that isn't necessary is some kind of personal and public attack (or at least criticism) of someone who took the time and trouble to have a go.

We are all entitled to an opinion, but how we express that opinion says as much about the type of person we are as the opinion we express.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.