Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Guest Editors

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

chavender
chavender e2 Member 3209 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2012 - 10:11 PM

Quote: I would have thought that the concept of having a GE is to ensure a broader spectrum of people have the chance to highlight images that they feel are worthy of specific and more high profile attention. I am not sure the individual GE should be constrained from giving awards to those images that they feel worthy simply because they have reached an arbitrary cut off number. If the GE thinks an image is worthy then give it an award - it matters not if that is just 1 image or a thousand (or any other number).

There will always be those who will disagree with what is chosen (or not chosen), but that is not the fault of the GE. As long as the GE feels an image is worthy it requires no further explanation. The beauty is that anyone can be a GE - so if you don't like what one GE chooses then have a go yourself.

The one thing that isn't necessary is some kind of personal and public attack (or at least criticism) of someone who took the time and trouble to have a go.

We are all entitled to an opinion, but how we express that opinion says as much about the type of person we are as the opinion we express.

I agree 100%

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jun 2012 - 10:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

flamesworddragon

Thanks for the support on the last two comments-

OK, so I have been lambasted for my high count of awards in my week as GEA,

I reviewed every image posted that week, and yes my count was high .... but I looked beyond the size of peoples wallets (in other words I didn't get excited by the kit they used!) .... I was happy to commend junior members, as well as established professionals. Pictures do not have to be pixel perfect. People make mistakes, and that is how they learn .... but at the end of the day did the picture capture the moment! Did it tell a story! Was it pleasing to the eye!
I connected with a lot of the 325 images that I awarded that week! And going on the amount of messages from glowing photographers that received a pat on the back - I am pleased!!!

As for the critical waffle in this feed - I can really see people lining up to be a GE when all they can expect is personal digs, from people who have ego's larger than their super zoom!

To the Bullies on this site ... I shake my head! I stand by my awards ... and to the people out there with their point and shoot compacts ....Don't give up on taking those pictures and nurturing that talent, your creative talents are not measured by the size of your lens (or your ego!) .... keep capturing the moment .... and for Gods Sake Enjoy IT!!!!!

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2012 - 9:13 AM

I was GE a few weeks ago(as a stand-in for a no-show) and I have not received any negative messages about the choices I made. I chose the images on their quality regardless of who they were. I never even looked at the gear they used or whether they were pros or amateurs................I looked at the image first and foremost.

As to Bullies, it seems that in the modern world anyone who has a differing opinion to someone else is labelled a bully........I think you are wrong on this, obviously some folks were unhappy but they are entitled to their thoughts. There are people on here with VERY BIG EGOS........but that's life............GrinGrin If I had a pound for every bad word spoken to me during my time on earth I seriously would be worth millions......GrinGrin

During my time as a Pro I met some disgusting Egotistical photographers, but I also met some genuine and helpful photographers..............swings & roundabouts............to be honest you have to have a rhino skin.

In July I'm the guest editor again and I can honestly say I'm looking forward to it immensely, I'm one of those people who enjoys looking at other peoples work and the images they create.........should be fun.

TTFN.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2012 - 9:20 AM

Quote: There are people on here with VERY BIG EGOS........but that's life............Grin If I had a pound for every bad word spoken to me during my time on earth I seriously would be worth millions...... Grin

During my time as a Pro I met some disgusting Egotistical photographers, but I also met some genuine and helpful photographers..............swings & roundabouts............to be honest you have to have a rhino skin.

So true!!!!

martin.w
martin.w  12350 forum posts United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2012 - 9:52 PM

I am curious to know if anybody noticed how many awards ( HC's & EC's ) Pete awarded during flamesworddragon's GEA week. A rough count came to over 90! Did Pete read his own guidelines.....or was it just a great week for stunning photography Wink

Just a thought Tongue

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
20 Jun 2012 - 10:42 PM

Well spotted Martin. If you'd asked I would have said probably about 20, but I gave 87 (53 HCs and 34 ECs) It seems like it was a particularly good week.

flamesworddragon

After seeing the last two posts, and if I was not in my 40's, I would probably come out with a statement like "Right back at yah!!!!!" Tongue

So it looks like both Pete and myself looked favourably on the pictures posted a couple of weeks ago!

I have learnt a valuable lesson, and intend to stay around .... who knows I might even volunteer for GE again (when I find a supplier of Rhino skin armour!!)

So let's get back to what this is all about picking up your camera and having some fun ......after all the catch line says "Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community."

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54169 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2012 - 11:00 AM

Fair enough, but you've been on the site for two years and I can only see two images in your portfolio. Sometimes people will look more favourably on those who've actually contributed something. Just a suggestion. Smile

flamesworddragon

Quote: Fair enough, but you've been on the site for two years and I can only see two images in your portfolio. Sometimes people will look more favourably on those who've actually contributed something. Just a suggestion. Smile

Planning on it Wink

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54169 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2012 - 5:30 PM

Glad to hear it. SmileSmile

AnnChown
AnnChown e2 Member 4183 forum postsAnnChown vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jun 2012 - 9:59 PM

My turn next week - tin hat ready. Smile

Last Modified By AnnChown at 21 Jun 2012 - 9:59 PM
Pete
21 Jun 2012 - 10:38 PM

I wouldn't mind borrowing that tin hat and rhino skin armour - I could have done with those over the years Wink

keithh
keithh  1022726 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2012 - 1:48 PM

Maybe EPZ could buy a Onesie_Rhino suit which they then send out to whoever is Guest Suck..oops Editor.
Wink

Pete
10 Jul 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thanks to all the recent Guest Editors for their efforts. This week Laurel_Steinbeck is back in the chair
Then we have
16 -22 Jul: NaturesHaven

Volunteers needed for the following weeks. Claim your space by posting in this thread with the week you'd like Smile You can have been GE previously but we would also like to encourage those who have't had a go yet
23 -29 Jul:
30 Jul - 5 Aug
6 - 12 Aug
13 -19 Aug
20 -26 Aug
27 - 2 Sep

Could GLENVIC please confirm which week you want in August thanks

IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS
When you log in on that week you will have a new button under the photo that allows you to select Guest Editor awards for pictures.

Please look at all photos uploaded to the gallery in your allocated week and only select the photos you think are outstanding - it's quality over quantity please. You can still vote as normal on pictures you like while reserving your awards for those you think are special

Also please do not just select pictures from your favorite genres or ones uploaded by your connections or friends. We are looking for an unbiased selection. If you don't feel you can meet any of this criteria please stand down.

The button becomes active at 0:00 on Monday and runs right through the week and stays active on the following Monday so you can catch up with Sunday's uploads

many thanks

Pete
16 Jul 2012 - 9:10 AM

Thanks Gerry for your efforts last week
This week, under the editorship of NaturesHaven, is the last week of the GE unless we have any new volunteers

Last Modified By Pete at 16 Jul 2012 - 9:11 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.