Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Guest Editors

irishman
10 1.1k 2 Ireland
1 Feb 2010 7:04PM

Quote:I'm doing my best!

Your off to a good start anyway, good variety of photos. Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
1 Feb 2010 8:42PM
I'm consciously trying to avoid the obvious stuff and looking for the good but quirky/evocative/intriguing or images which go a little deeper than the norm.

It's been fun so far. Wink
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
1 Feb 2010 8:54PM
I'm conciously withholding my best shots, because I know Jools will be all over them.Wink
irishman
10 1.1k 2 Ireland
1 Feb 2010 11:16PM

Quote:I'm consciously trying to avoid the obvious stuff and looking for the good but quirky/evocative/intriguing or images which go a little deeper than the norm.

And therefore you could be by passing some top class images.

The whole point of the GE award is to award what YOU consider to be the best images of that week, not just what you like or maybe your friends images, forget about Pete and his awards but you will be supprised how many may be the same.
funkeldink e2
11 1.6k 1 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2010 12:43PM
really looking forward to this ... i will be strict with my selections... bring it on
SuziBlue e2
12 16.2k 10 Scotland
5 Feb 2010 6:51PM
Pete, put me down for a week.

Pete: Your photography is useless ... what kind of camera is that! ... what a loser .. is it Sunday yet ...

hee hee

No seriously. I'd love to do a week. 1 March?
csurry
12 9.2k 92
5 Feb 2010 6:53PM
Think 1st April would be better for you Suzi with those quotes linedup already! Grin
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
5 Feb 2010 7:08PM

Quote:Pete, put me down for a week.

Pete: Your photography is useless ... what kind of camera is that! ... what a loser .. is it Sunday yet ...

Gulp...ok I'm a sucker for punishment

Ok so I have the following GE's lined up
Fred 8-14 Feb
Dave U 15-21 Feb
Scaramanga 22-28 Feb
Suzi 1-7 Mar

Dave and Andrew...are you ok with these dates?
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
5 Feb 2010 7:23PM

Quote:And therefore you could be by passing some top class images.

With respect, that might be your opinion. But this isn't about your opinion. It's about mine.

I'm trying to look beyond mere technical perfection to what the photograph says to me. There are so many images here which are technically first rate but which leave me totally cold. There are also a few which might be a little rough around the edges but which actually say something of interest. This is what I mean when I say I'm looking for images that are 'deeper than the norm'.

Quote:The whole point of the GE award is to award what YOU consider to be the best images of that week, not just what you like or maybe your friends images, forget about Pete and his awards but you will be supprised how many may be the same.

Ignoring your patronising tone, if I found that to be the case, I would be rather worried. I respect Pete's decisions but if his choices and mine are the same in most cases then there's something wrong.

I take it you're not happy with some of my selections?

Good.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
5 Feb 2010 7:31PM
Chees! There'll be no talking to Jools now.Wink
Boyd e2
11 11.2k 11 Wales
5 Feb 2010 7:39PM

Quote:There are so many images here which are technically first rate but which leave me totally cold.
So that's pictures of snow out of the running.
Quote:There are also a few which might be a little rough around the edges but which actually say something of interest.
Time for Pete to start scanning in those pictures of his old girlfriends.
Quote:This is what I mean when I say I'm looking for images that are 'deeper than the norm'.
None of these will do then.
Smile
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
5 Feb 2010 8:04PM
LOL!

Rockwell's stuff is actually pretty interesting. (And I'm talking about Norman - not Ken Wink)
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
5 Feb 2010 8:05PM

Quote:Chees! There'll be no talking to Jools now.

'sok, Denny. I've had my rant. I'm back to my usual placid self.

Honest! Wink
irishman
10 1.1k 2 Ireland
5 Feb 2010 9:11PM

Quote:With respect, that might be your opinion. But this isn't about your opinion. It's about mine

That is true Jools, what photos you like and I like may be compltely different.

But the week that I did GE, sometimes I put what like to one side and looked at other photos for their quality and more often I would see the same names, names that often appear on Pete's choices.
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
5 Feb 2010 9:36PM

Quote:But the week that I did GE, sometimes I put what like to one side and looked at other photos for their quality and more often I would see the same names, names that often appear on Pete's choices.

I'm judging each picture on its own individual merits and I am consciously trying to use more personal criteria to evaluate an image. Not necessarily what I like so much as what causes me to linger over one image more than the next. It may be careful and original composition, a striking approach to the subject or that the image evokes a feeling or a mood. It's a highly personal choice and awarding sheer technical excellence that lacks, for want of a better word, soul (imo) is not my aim.

EDIT: Reading this back, I hope I haven't offended any highly talented photographers who probably do shoot with soul. Like I say, each image is judged individually and sometimes an otherwise perfect image just doesn't grab me, for whatever reason. No offence meant. Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.