Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Guest Editors

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

irishman
irishman  101118 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2010 - 7:04 PM


Quote: I'm doing my best!

Your off to a good start anyway, good variety of photos. Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Feb 2010 - 7:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2010 - 8:42 PM

I'm consciously trying to avoid the obvious stuff and looking for the good but quirky/evocative/intriguing or images which go a little deeper than the norm.

It's been fun so far. Wink

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014403 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2010 - 8:54 PM

I'm conciously withholding my best shots, because I know Jools will be all over them.Wink

irishman
irishman  101118 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2010 - 11:16 PM


Quote: I'm consciously trying to avoid the obvious stuff and looking for the good but quirky/evocative/intriguing or images which go a little deeper than the norm.


And therefore you could be by passing some top class images.

The whole point of the GE award is to award what YOU consider to be the best images of that week, not just what you like or maybe your friends images, forget about Pete and his awards but you will be supprised how many may be the same.

funkeldink
funkeldink  101592 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 12:43 PM

really looking forward to this ... i will be strict with my selections... bring it on

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 6:51 PM

Pete, put me down for a week.

Pete: Your photography is useless ... what kind of camera is that! ... what a loser .. is it Sunday yet ...

hee hee

No seriously. I'd love to do a week. 1 March?

Last Modified By SuziBlue at 5 Feb 2010 - 6:52 PM
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 6:53 PM

Think 1st April would be better for you Suzi with those quotes linedup already! Grin

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318430 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 7:08 PM


Quote: Pete, put me down for a week.

Pete: Your photography is useless ... what kind of camera is that! ... what a loser .. is it Sunday yet ...

Gulp...ok I'm a sucker for punishment

Ok so I have the following GE's lined up
Fred 8-14 Feb
Dave U 15-21 Feb
Scaramanga 22-28 Feb
Suzi 1-7 Mar

Dave and Andrew...are you ok with these dates?

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 7:23 PM


Quote: And therefore you could be by passing some top class images.

With respect, that might be your opinion. But this isn't about your opinion. It's about mine.

I'm trying to look beyond mere technical perfection to what the photograph says to me. There are so many images here which are technically first rate but which leave me totally cold. There are also a few which might be a little rough around the edges but which actually say something of interest. This is what I mean when I say I'm looking for images that are 'deeper than the norm'.


Quote: The whole point of the GE award is to award what YOU consider to be the best images of that week, not just what you like or maybe your friends images, forget about Pete and his awards but you will be supprised how many may be the same.

Ignoring your patronising tone, if I found that to be the case, I would be rather worried. I respect Pete's decisions but if his choices and mine are the same in most cases then there's something wrong.

I take it you're not happy with some of my selections?

Good.

Last Modified By joolsb at 5 Feb 2010 - 7:25 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014403 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 7:31 PM

Chees! There'll be no talking to Jools now.Wink

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 7:39 PM


Quote: There are so many images here which are technically first rate but which leave me totally cold.

So that's pictures of snow out of the running.
Quote: There are also a few which might be a little rough around the edges but which actually say something of interest.

Time for Pete to start scanning in those pictures of his old girlfriends.
Quote: This is what I mean when I say I'm looking for images that are 'deeper than the norm'.

None of these will do then.
Smile

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 8:04 PM

LOL!

Rockwell's stuff is actually pretty interesting. (And I'm talking about Norman - not Ken Wink)

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 8:05 PM


Quote: Chees! There'll be no talking to Jools now.

'sok, Denny. I've had my rant. I'm back to my usual placid self.

Honest! Wink

irishman
irishman  101118 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 9:11 PM


Quote: With respect, that might be your opinion. But this isn't about your opinion. It's about mine

That is true Jools, what photos you like and I like may be compltely different.

But the week that I did GE, sometimes I put what like to one side and looked at other photos for their quality and more often I would see the same names, names that often appear on Pete's choices.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
5 Feb 2010 - 9:36 PM


Quote: But the week that I did GE, sometimes I put what like to one side and looked at other photos for their quality and more often I would see the same names, names that often appear on Pete's choices.

I'm judging each picture on its own individual merits and I am consciously trying to use more personal criteria to evaluate an image. Not necessarily what I like so much as what causes me to linger over one image more than the next. It may be careful and original composition, a striking approach to the subject or that the image evokes a feeling or a mood. It's a highly personal choice and awarding sheer technical excellence that lacks, for want of a better word, soul (imo) is not my aim.

EDIT: Reading this back, I hope I haven't offended any highly talented photographers who probably do shoot with soul. Like I say, each image is judged individually and sometimes an otherwise perfect image just doesn't grab me, for whatever reason. No offence meant. Wink

Last Modified By joolsb at 5 Feb 2010 - 9:56 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.