Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Guest Editors

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2012 - 6:24 PM

No problem Ade I don't think we will have a GE feature in a few weeks anyway. arhab I sent a PM and didn't get a reply, K you can do next week which will probably be the last one.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Aug 2012 - 6:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhab
arhab  243 forum posts Indonesia2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Aug 2012 - 9:23 PM

ok, thanks Pete.

Alan_Baseley
Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13321 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2012 - 9:52 AM

Quote: .....I don't think we will have a GE feature in a few weeks anyway. ........................which will probably be the last one.

What a shame. Is there really no one interested in doing it out there?
For anyone who is thinking about it but thinks it may take up too much time it doesn't. In my experience it takes up to a couple of hours a day that can be done in short bursts spread over the 7 days.
Well worth the time,

Alan

Last Modified By Alan_Baseley at 12 Aug 2012 - 9:53 AM
arhab
arhab  243 forum posts Indonesia2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2012 - 10:32 AM

i believe it is because there is something happen in juni which become hot discussion. you can check it yourself alan. i did it today to try find out why ge will erased.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85882 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Aug 2012 - 8:00 PM

I do not understand the last postSmile

ValSaxby
ValSaxby e2 Member 8132 forum postsValSaxby vcard United Kingdom
12 Aug 2012 - 11:58 PM

Just finishing my week as guest editor - very sad to read that this feature is to be discontinued, this has been a wonderful addition to EPZ and have enjoyed my time viewing all the photos this week.

Really hope that this doesnt have to end.

Val

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314996 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 12:24 AM

You can put me down Pete.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73832 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 12:29 AM

Quote: You can put me down Pete.

That's a bit drastic Wink

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 8:07 AM

How very sad that this feature will probably end........some people on this site will have got what they wanted............I knew the writing was on the wall when the GE was moved to a place hidden away where it is difficult to find. The excuse was that hardly anyone looked at it.........

To make things equal on the site I suggest we scrap ALL the awards NOW. At least that way there will be accusations of bias and favouritism.

Is there any point to paying the subscription to this site??? It seems that he who shouts and moans the most gets what they want.........SadSadSadSadSad

Last Modified By NaturesHaven at 13 Aug 2012 - 8:09 AM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 54245 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 8:20 AM

Quote: .I knew the writing was on the wall when the GE was moved to a place hidden away where it is difficult to find. The excuse was that hardly anyone looked at it...

My thoughts exactly. We have asked that the GE gallery be reinstated in the main drop down menu but nothing happened so we have to assume that its demise is imminent.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 13 Aug 2012 - 8:21 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 8:54 AM

Thanks Val Smile

Quote: some people on this site will have got what they wanted............I knew the writing was on the wall when the GE was moved to a place hidden away where it is difficult to find

No that's not right. No one asked for the link to be removed. The GE link and 90+ other links were moved from the top menu because hardly anyone clicked the links in the menu. That's not to say the feature is not popular. It's been very popular...but...every so often the volunteers dry up. And this time "in a last request" that's not changed. And the previous major dry up point (way before the link was taken away) I put a request in the newsletter but got mostly unknown members who rarely visit the site and had empty portfolios.

There's going to be a revamp of the gallery page and the links to all the sections, including GE, if it's still around, and other galleries will be more prominent at the top in the new filter system we develop.

So this week 13 -19 Aug it's answersonapostcard
20 -26 Aug - Paul Morgan
27 - 2 Sep - NaturesHaven
1 - 7 Oct - charlotte

Last Modified By Pete at 13 Aug 2012 - 9:00 AM
Alan_Baseley
Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13321 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 9:02 AM

I don't think the GE award is being scrapped because of some people not liking it. It's being scrapped because of apathy and/or lack of awareness of how to get involved, particularly for new members. The lack of volunteers has probably made the demise of the award inevitable, I'm afraid.
As for being difficult to find, it's now 2 clicks instead of one and the main menu is less cluttered.

Last Modified By Alan_Baseley at 13 Aug 2012 - 9:07 AM
Pete
13 Aug 2012 - 9:08 AM

Quote: The lack of volunteers has probably made the demise of the award inevitable, I'm afraid.

Exactly - If anyone has any suggestions how to encourage judges - and maybe has connections with people outside epz who would make good judges (gallery owners, picture editors, club judges etc) please feel free to invite.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 9:11 AM

TBF, it is a good feature to let people try to be a judge for a week.
However, when the same people keep volunteering to become GE because no one else came forward, it is like clutching the last straw just to keep the feature going. It lost its way then.

Pete
13 Aug 2012 - 9:31 AM

Quote: However, when the same people keep volunteering to become GE because no one else came forward, it is like clutching the last straw just to keep the feature going. It lost its way then.

I don't see any problem with there being second, third or even fourth goes at being GE over the course of a year or two, but it's when these people, who I thank greatly, are the only ones coming forward. Look back through this thread and you will see me try to revive the enthusiasm on several occasions and that's nothing to do with the link in the menu, just probably apathy and/or lack of awareness as Alan said above.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.