Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Gumtree

miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 10:54AM
Usually its ebay that I sue to sell items, but recently have become aware of Gumtree for classifieds.

GUMTREE

What, if any, are your experiences of Gumtree to sell items, and how do you think it compares with ebay?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

25 Nov 2012 11:19AM
Put a post on here yesterday or day before about this strangely enough. My son now swears by it. Plus side is that very often it is a local person replying to your ad & most people will then collect or arrange with you to drop items off for a nominal charge thereby cutting out postage costs and risks of damage. He has sold a number of items on there recently and finds it a lot less hassle and also finds it quicker to dispose of things. Like everything I am sure it has its downsides but to date he is pretty impressed with it! Again though each to their own! Grin Lou
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 11:23AM
There are a lot of scammers on there, particularly with high value items, luckily most are quite obvious if you are careful.

That said, I have bought and sold quite a few things, and the benefit is that you can trade with people that might be more local (unless you are trading hard to get items or ones that there aren't many for sale, like specific lenses for example). For things like camera kit, where viewing is imperative, it can be good if local, but I would be reluctant to buy and sell at distance. Stick to Paypal for the protection, or cash on handover, and follow the guidelines for meeting/buying/selling and be aware of your own safety at all times (both physical and financial).

There are a lot of honest people out there who just want to buy and sell honestly, but there are also sharks in the pool.

Nick
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
25 Nov 2012 11:44AM

Quote:There are a lot of scammers on there, particularly with high value items, luckily most are quite obvious if you are careful.

In the context of selling photographic equipment, which is likely to be high value, always to be careful if you agree to allow the buyer to collect in person. This is especially the case if they pay via Paypal. If you do agree get the buyer to sign that they have received the item (in its entirety). If you do not then they can claim that they have paid but not received the item. You have no proof they have received it and under Paypal (and most on-line auction site regulations) buyer protection means they get their money back and they have your item.

Be very careful - lots of scammers use this trick.
mohikan22 e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 11:59AM
i use gumtree every week to sell my business, picked up well too. as or selling, ive sold some biutsok. never a prob. nor buying either. seems good to me Grin
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
25 Nov 2012 12:08PM
Electronic version of the back-street market. Beloved by con artists, scammers & fraudsters.
There are a few genuine traders, but you need to be very careful when metaphorically walking round.
widtink e2
2 406 2 Scotland
25 Nov 2012 5:33PM
I have sold quite a few things on gumtree its local thats the main benefit not had any problemsWink

Rod
tomcat e2
9 6.2k 15 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2012 7:14PM
Usually its ebay that I sue to sell items, but recently have become aware of Gumtree for classifieds.

No wonder you are thinking of changing marketsWink
capto e2
2 1.5k 7 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2012 9:22AM
I advertised a DSLR on there, I was inundated by spammers and fraudsters .... never again. Stick with lost cost items and it may be OK.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
26 Nov 2012 10:46AM
Gumtree's great for getting rid of stuff you might consider only suitable for the tip, we got rid of our old settee like this. Just placed an add with a picture saying free to whoever wants it collects it......It was gone the next day!!! A young family in the village where we live had it and they came round and walked it (about a mile to where they lived) home. They even made a donation to my Hedgehog/Fox food fund bless em'.

Ade
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2012 1:03PM

Quote: free to whoever wants it collects it.,,,

http://uk.freecycle.org/ is another good one for getting rid of stuff for free.
"Freecycle groups match people who have things they want to get rid of with people who can use them. Our goal is to keep usable items out of landfills. By using what we already have on this earth, we reduce consumerism, manufacture fewer goods, and lessen the impact on the earth. Another benefit of using Freecycle is that it encourages us to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community involvement in the process."

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.