Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

GX7 Tips

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 1255 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
24 Aug 2014 - 12:01 AM

Starting to get to grips with my new Panasonic GX7. I do keep thinking there's something wrong with the screen because it's gone off but it's because I've got my hand near to the eyecup and consequently the camera thinks I've got my eye at the evf, I've lowered the sensitivity of that feature but it still catches me out.

In one post in one of these threads in the last few days someone mentioned which way they'd set their custom buttons up. I can't find it to read again, anyone?

Things like focus peaking make manual focus an absolute pleasure to use. I do use it in auto most of the time though. I like how I can move the squares around on the screen or tap to choose focal point.

I can't seem to use my preferred autofocus method, point at something, half-press then recompose, I was trying to do that today on a particular subject and the camera shifted focus when I recomposed. I tried again but instead of half-pressing I pressed the AF/AE Lock then recomposed but of course as soon as I pressed my shutter button to shoot, camera refocused. I thought I may be forced to read the manual but I think I've found a setting that controls it, what do you guys set?

The preview has me somewhat puzzled. I like that camera automatically gives one a clear and bright preview of even the darkest scenes in order to aid composition. There's a preview function, which I can assign to a button and press and it will show me depth-of-field preview. Annoyingly it says stuff about the shutter on screen, it seems to contradict the manual, help!

Is there a way to turn on Dof preview and get it to stay on until one decides to turn it off? The full-time preview menu setting in the configuration menus seems to only affect full manual mode. I'd love to be able to use aperture priority mode with full time dof preview, pressing a button to preview final exposure. Any tips on work-arounds or best practice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Aug 2014 - 12:01 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2014 - 1:15 AM

I had the eye sensor switched off on my G2 and OMD, I just found it annoying, I manually switched using a button.

You should be able to do similar but I`m not sure of the set up for the GX7.

Snapper
Snapper  93768 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2014 - 1:22 AM

Quote: Starting to get to grips with my new Panasonic GX7. I do keep thinking there's something wrong with the screen because it's gone off but it's because I've got my hand near to the eyecup and consequently the camera thinks I've got my eye at the evf, I've lowered the sensitivity of that feature but it still catches me out.

In one post in one of these threads in the last few days someone mentioned which way they'd set their custom buttons up. I can't find it to read again, anyone?

Could it have been one of Lemmy/David Thorpe's videos?

Coast
Coast Critique Team 61339 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom292 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2014 - 8:26 AM

Not sure about how the GX7 sets up although I know its customisable like my OMD 10. I mentioned in a previous thread how I have set the front and rear control wheels to change aperture on the front wheel and shutter speed on the rear. In semi-automatic modes then dependant on shutter priority or aperture priority I have the front wheel set to control either aperture or shutter as per mode. The rear wheel in this instance is then set up to control exposure compensation for both modes.

I have one function button set for DoF. On the OMD it acts like the old manual DoF buttons you had on analogue cameras as well as on the 5D III where you press it and hold it down to view the DoF effect. As soon as you let go it reverts to full aperture. I am not aware of any way to set it on permanently.

When shooting in the street I mainly set the EVF to be on and the rear screen onto the Quick control menu. This allows me to compose quickly using the EVF and I have all the settings to hand on the rear screen to adjust quickly if required.

c40uk
c40uk  182 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Aug 2014 - 8:27 AM

i have the g6 and one thing i keep doing is movin the focus point on the touch screen with my nose ,n i dont have a large nose either Grin

Chris_L
24 Aug 2014 - 1:53 PM

@ Paul M, yes there is a button for it so I could disable the automatic setting if I don't get used to it.

@ Peter (Snapper) could well be, have watched a lot of them lately.

Paul R (Coast) that's where I want to get to for GX7 and I think it might have been your previous mention that I'm remembering.

@ Andrew (c40uk) I do know that feature can be turned off on the gx7, think it's called Touchpad, it's where when looking through evf the screen display still goes off but screen touch remains active like a touch pad. I used it successfully to move focus point when looking through evf but my nose moves it when I don't want it to as well so will turn it off.

lemmy
lemmy  71943 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Aug 2014 - 7:43 PM

The auto lvf/ monitor function can be a bit too sensitive. No way around that other than manual switching. I tend to use custom modes on my camera a lot, so set the switch to auto or manual depending on my task.

Focusing: I use (among others): AF/AE Lock - AF Lock; AF/AE Lock - On; Shutter AF - On; Half Press Release - Off; Quick AF - Off;

That gives you focusing on a half press of the shutter and held while you half press it. Press the AF/AE Button on the rear and it focuses and locks on until you press it again.

The Preview - go to the Custom menu and Fn Button Set. Set a button to Preview. When you press that button the first function that comes up is depth of field preview. The second is shutter speed effect. It's a bit counter-intuitive in that DoF preview is denoted by 'shutter speed effect off' but it cycles though off/DoF/shutter effect as you press the Fn button. If you keep it pressed I think you can keep on shooting (I'm not certain as I don't use it).

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014929 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2014 - 7:55 PM

Quote: i have the g6 and one thing i keep doing is movin the focus point on the touch screen with my nose ,n i dont have a large nose either

I tend to play it by ear.Tongue

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014929 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2014 - 8:15 PM

Is this thread going to rival Joshwa's Olympus OM-D E-M5 thread???Wink

Chris_L
24 Aug 2014 - 8:20 PM

Actually I have some other questions but I think I'll put them in separate threads as it may help other people instead of a really long one.

Thanks Lemmy, I think I've got that now.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64539 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2014 - 8:56 PM

Thank you Chris for posting your queries and findings on the GX7. I followed the OMD thread with great interest and I finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me. I'm tempted by the GX7 but still have reservations. After making a mistake with the Fuji X10 I'll be taking an interest in your posts, so many thanks.

Chris_L
24 Aug 2014 - 9:23 PM

Whatever you do, be careful.

I was poking fun at the bloody things 12 days ago

1-001.jpg

Then I decided to see what all the fuss was about and satisfy myself they were just a silly toy. If they were really good, I could see myself spending 500 quid and using one in place of my nice compact. Maybe use some existing lenses, certainly not buy any new lenses.

003.jpg

Am still on the fence really!!! Blush

fence1.jpg

Anyway, one of them is going back. Cos it seems faulty not cos I didn't LOVE IT

Last Modified By Chris_L at 24 Aug 2014 - 9:26 PM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64539 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2014 - 9:29 PM

Not sure what you mean by your above post, but I love my S100, I bought two of them. I don't fall for any hype and am always interested in reading about equipment. I've already tried out the GX7 and rejected it, but I'm still interested enough to take note of user's views.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 24 Aug 2014 - 9:30 PM
Coast
Coast Critique Team 61339 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom292 Constructive Critique Points
24 Aug 2014 - 9:36 PM

If anyone is unsure about the quality from a current MFT sensor this is an example shot at 1600 ISO for the Macro Challenge.

http://www.ephotozine.com/groups/weekly-macro-challenge-804/photos/my-favourite-...

What was it you didn't like about the GX7 Chris? I know you don't like the Olympus menu system which is turning you off the OMD's although I still think that a little time getting to use the menu and it all soon comes second nature and logical.

Chris_L
24 Aug 2014 - 9:39 PM

Chris (Slowsong) I was pointing out that 12 days ago I didn't like em, 1700 quid later think they are ok Grin

To be serious, I do have a couple of reservations.

I rushed into it and got a good prime lens with the camera, had I known I would have bought an ever better prime lens with it and bought body only instead of kit.

I did used to shoot quite a bit of video and I might get back into it, makes me wonder if I'd have been better off with an Olympus body.

The Olympus lenses seem to be better than the Panasonic ones and people repeatedly say when they are on an Olympus body they are image-stabilized and that Olympus has the better IS. I realise Olympus has IS built in to many bodies but it's as if they are saying it works even better in tandem with Olympus lenses.

I know the Gx7 has in-body IS but appears not to be sophisticated, however one blog I read thinks it's better than the 5 axis Oly version.

Panasonic's IS doesn't work with video which is when you need it more really as fast shutter speed can't help you as it can with stills.

I wish there were a few more manufacturers doing lenses for m43 or that the current guys did more. Hopefully Sigma will start making more, clearly though they have a far bigger market for glass they make for APS-C cameras.

I actually thought you had a GX7 Chris (Slowsong)? Didn't you say that your TV studio shots were taken with one?

Last Modified By Chris_L at 24 Aug 2014 - 9:42 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.