Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

H.D.R

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    steamy112000
    7 Aug 2008 - 2:16 PM

What is H.D.R. and where can I buy it,I use photoshop at the moment,but I love the way H.D.R changes the look of a photo.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Aug 2008 - 2:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NexusImages
    7 Aug 2008 - 2:18 PM

High dynamic range. Get yourself a copy of photmatix. it's a winner.
    Mand.x. (don't be tempted to overcook the bacon though Wink

bangalicious
    7 Aug 2008 - 2:26 PM

HDR

I use a programme called Picturnaunt. Takes some getting used to, but does what i need in terms of bringing out detail. Try not to overcook HDR.

This
    is one of examples of a HDR images using Picturnaut.

Hope this Helps.

steamy112000
    7 Aug 2008 - 3:00 PM

cheers guys,I will have a look at both of them.
    Bill.

NEWMANP
    NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Aug 2008 - 3:22 PM

be prepared to pull a lot of Hair out, if like me you are trying to work it out by trial and error. best if you have someone to show you, its not as easy as they make out,
    Phil

if you use photoshop cs3 there is a HDR section well hidden but supposed to be the second best system next to photomatrix.

nikon
    nikon e2 Member 11117 forum postsnikon vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Aug 2008 - 3:50 PM

You can down load a trial version of Photomatix Pro3 (not time limited, but it inserts a water mark until such time as you purchase a licence) It will however give you the opportunity to try before you buy. I've downloaded it to fiddle about with until such times as I take the plunge.

Hope this helps, Dave.

RipleyExile
    7 Aug 2008 - 3:53 PM

Quote: if you use photoshop cs3 there is a HDR section well hidden but supposed to be the second best system next to photomatrix

File > Automate > Merge to HDR

I used it on my last 4 uploads and the results aren't that bad at all.

Last Modified By RipleyExile at 7 Aug 2008 - 3:56 PM
    sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82346 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Aug 2008 - 3:56 PM

Another vote for photomatix. Also be aware that HDR is not a panacea - its just another tool in the post production kit bag. A good use of ND grads (for landscape), and some photo montage in PS (based on levels of exposure) can often give better quality results imho, although the hdr effect has a unique feel all of it's own that I really like. Remember too - if the composition is poor the result will be poor no matter how you process exposure!

Mand and Phil are right - the effect is easy to over cook (it's the tone mapping process in hdr that needs to be done with EXTREME care). Go for subtle transitions and avoid unsightly halo's. Finally, hdr images often lack contrast and can be noisy and over-saturated. Inother word they'll need PS work aswell.

Rgds,

Adam

NEWMANP
    NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Aug 2008 - 4:13 PM

what would be very nice and usefull, is if some kind and generous person would set down in clear terms the best proceedure for HDR, (as did pmorgan for layer/curve processing, bless him) so as to help all of those finding difficulty producing a satisfacrory image, sure we can bash one out in a few minutes but some people have a much more in depth knowledge as is apparant in several contributors pictures.

any offers,
    Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 7 Aug 2008 - 4:16 PM
    Hugeknot
    Hugeknot  91212 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Aug 2008 - 4:33 PM

I am no expert, but I have experience of the learning curve.

Taking the photos: most people are successful with 3 exposures that are separated by about 3 stops. If you are using a digital slr (recommended) the range of exposures should match the range on your exposure meter. You might be able to set your camera to take all three exposures automatically - I would recommend this because any movement of the camera (i.e. when you change the settings) could affect the quality of your product. Also any time delays between exposures should be kept to a minimum because of the movement of objects such as clouds. I would recommend a secure tripod! and a good quality lens, and systematic bracketting experiments to enhance the learning process.

Software, I use Photomatix and the great thing is that you get free upgrades as it develops.

You need to be really patient with the processing and be ready to scrap everything and try different settings. Learn about blending layers and produce 2 or 3 versions of the same image that has been tonemapped for the sky, foreground etc.

I hope this has been useful, there is a more detailed version on my BLOG

Last Modified By Hugeknot at 7 Aug 2008 - 4:35 PM
    RipleyExile
    7 Aug 2008 - 4:36 PM

I just play with the sliders until I get a result that looks realistic. Knowing what I was actually doing would be nice.

I've started playing with Picturnaut as well now and despite the sliders being self explanatory, all the other bits and pieces and the difference between tone mapping methods are still voodoo to me (no matter which product I'm using).

Last Modified By RipleyExile at 7 Aug 2008 - 4:37 PM
    MikeA
    MikeA  91177 forum posts England
    7 Aug 2008 - 4:36 PM

Quote: What would be very nice and usefull, is if some kind and generous person would set down in clear terms the best procedure for HDR

May help ? for CS3, not read it myself as I use Photomatix Pro3.

link

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318459 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Aug 2008 - 4:38 PM

We have an article or two on our site here Click on the techniques tag.

Last Modified By Pete at 7 Aug 2008 - 4:38 PM
    jken
    jken  81672 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Aug 2008 - 5:16 PM

Photomatix...as said above have fun but don't destroy your image by going over the top.

jk

agoreira
    agoreira  116001 forum posts Wales
    7 Aug 2008 - 6:40 PM

Quote: Photomatix...as said above have fun but don't destroy your image by going over the top.

jk

I have seen very few that can resist, the majority look way over the top! ; ) When HDR is done well, it's good, it doesn't scream HDR, but there is not a lot of it about. You can normally spot HDR a mile off.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.