Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hacked Email Account

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    FatHandedChap
    25 Aug 2008 - 8:09 AM

I'm assuming that some kind person has hacked into my email account as I'm now getting hundreds of undeliverable mail returned to my mail box each day.

Is there anything that can be done or is it just a case of weathering the storm and all will return to normal eventually?

Tony

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    25 Aug 2008 - 8:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014142 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2008 - 8:11 AM

No - they haven't hacked into your account. You have got on a spam list & they are using your address as a senders address - happens all the time.

Get yourself some anti-spam software now.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    FatHandedChap
    25 Aug 2008 - 8:21 AM

Cheers Chris's, I was assuming my account had been hacked as the personal info on my webmail account had been changed, and there was a rogue email in the sent items box which I hadn't sent.

I don't really want to change my address as it's my business one. I'll just keep deleting and see how it goes.

Tony

Last Modified By FatHandedChap at 25 Aug 2008 - 8:22 AM
    lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014142 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Aug 2008 - 8:24 AM

hmmm well it's possible I suppose you could have been hacked. Best to change all your passwords to new (secure) ones ASAP

FatHandedChap
    25 Aug 2008 - 8:49 AM

Passwords changed and I found lots of useful things in the control panel of my site which most probably should have been enabled ages ago.

Hopefully the flood will be stemmed slightly now the horse has bolted!

lobsterboy
    25 Aug 2008 - 9:07 AM

Quote: Anti-spam software won't be that useful

Except you can mark the rejections as spam and then you can prevent them arriving in your inbox.

If its a business email & it is on a website somewhere it will get picked up by spam-bots and used against you.

Have you received any website login (or worse internet banking) details through that email account? If so - beeter change them to be on the safe side too.

aftertherain
    25 Aug 2008 - 9:25 AM

Quote: I'm now getting hundreds of undeliverable mail returned to my mail box each day.

Wouldn't be registered with Friends Reunited would you?

lobsterboy
    25 Aug 2008 - 10:14 AM

Works for me - 2 or 3 hundred rejections a week just get picked up by my spam filter and I never see them (unless I want to).

lobsterboy
    25 Aug 2008 - 2:32 PM

Quote: You've configured your spam filter to filter out what isn't actually spam.

Yeah I know.

Quote: So if you sent someone an important email and it bounced back you wouldn't be aware as the rejection warning would be filtered.

Nope - I get those. I assume it has learnt some of the info in the header.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 25 Aug 2008 - 2:33 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.