Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Hacked Email Account

FatHandedChap 9 1.3k England
25 Aug 2008 8:09AM
I'm assuming that some kind person has hacked into my email account as I'm now getting hundreds of undeliverable mail returned to my mail box each day.

Is there anything that can be done or is it just a case of weathering the storm and all will return to normal eventually?

Tony

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy Plus
11 14.4k 13 United Kingdom
25 Aug 2008 8:11AM
No - they haven't hacked into your account. You have got on a spam list & they are using your address as a senders address - happens all the time.

Get yourself some anti-spam software now.
25 Aug 2008 8:21AM
Cheers Chris's, I was assuming my account had been hacked as the personal info on my webmail account had been changed, and there was a rogue email in the sent items box which I hadn't sent.

I don't really want to change my address as it's my business one. I'll just keep deleting and see how it goes.

Tony
lobsterboy Plus
25 Aug 2008 8:24AM
hmmm well it's possible I suppose you could have been hacked. Best to change all your passwords to new (secure) ones ASAP
25 Aug 2008 8:49AM
Passwords changed and I found lots of useful things in the control panel of my site which most probably should have been enabled ages ago.

Hopefully the flood will be stemmed slightly now the horse has bolted!
lobsterboy Plus
25 Aug 2008 9:07AM

Quote:Anti-spam software won't be that useful

Except you can mark the rejections as spam and then you can prevent them arriving in your inbox.

If its a business email & it is on a website somewhere it will get picked up by spam-bots and used against you.

Have you received any website login (or worse internet banking) details through that email account? If so - beeter change them to be on the safe side too.

Quote:I'm now getting hundreds of undeliverable mail returned to my mail box each day.

Wouldn't be registered with Friends Reunited would you?
lobsterboy Plus
25 Aug 2008 10:14AM
Works for me - 2 or 3 hundred rejections a week just get picked up by my spam filter and I never see them (unless I want to).
lobsterboy Plus
25 Aug 2008 2:32PM

Quote:You've configured your spam filter to filter out what isn't actually spam.

Yeah I know.

Quote:So if you sent someone an important email and it bounced back you wouldn't be aware as the rejection warning would be filtered.

Nope - I get those. I assume it has learnt some of the info in the header.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.