Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Had a bad day

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    col.campbell
    13 Feb 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hi everyone

Yesterday, after a visit to the dentist which saw me shaking like a leaf in the chair, to cheer myself up I went for a walk with my girlfriend, dog and camera, which promptly packed in.

It's a Nikon D100; I shouldn't be surprised as it's had a fair innings. When I release the shutter it fires but jams half-open, with the mirror in the raised position.

I don't think it'll be economically viable to have it repaired; I seem to recall an initial fee of c. 100 when I bent a pin in the memory card slot shortly after buying it. I think I'd be lucky to be offered more than 200 in part exchange if it were in working order.

So, the question: what would you suggest I replace it with?

I have a modest investment in Nikon gear:
    Sigma 17-35
    Nikon nifty-50 f/1.8
    Nikon 85 manual focus
    Nikon SB-800
    Nikon stock 28-80, 70-300
    Nikon F80

My priority is replacing the camera body and then, if I'm still in a spending mood, the stock lenses. I wouldn't say I'd never switch camp, but I think that I've invested just enough in the past to make me stay put with Nikon. So if anyone thinks the case for Canon/ Sony/ Pentax etc. is compelling, I'm open to suggestions.

I don't have a specific photographic interest so I can't say I'm mainly into landscapes or sports, but besides general purpose photography I do like a bit of architecture, low-light photography and the occasional concert. So I think that long exposure noise and high-ISO performance will be important. I'd also like to try a bit of macro.

I've always fancied a D700 which I believe has excellent performance in long exposures and high ISO's, although I stand to be corrected. I've never been particularly interested in video recording.

As for lenses, I realise that VR lenses are growing in popularity but they tend to have smaller max apertures. I think I favour a faster lens, although I've never had the opportunity to test the theory.

I've avoided setting a limit for the budget, needless to say I'm bracing myself and I think the D3s of my dreams will have to wait Wink
    That's all the relevant information I can think of, so it's over to the wise people of epz!

Last Modified By col.campbell at 13 Feb 2013 - 10:28 AM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Feb 2013 - 10:26 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

col.campbell
    13 Feb 2013 - 10:36 AM

I should have added that the film camera doesn't get the use it ought to. I actually forgot to mention it in my list of existing kit!

I'm not sure where I stand with regard to it and compatibility, and brand-loyalty. At the moment its main use is occasional wide-angle shots of interiors, fitting more into the frame than I could with the digital. A full-frame body would cancel that advantage.

Perhaps selling it with the stock lenses would soften the blow slightly.

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41216 forum posts United Kingdom200 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Feb 2013 - 10:41 AM

You'd be lucky to get anywhere near half that in fully working order. For a trade-in, more like a third.

Are your lenses FX or DX? Do they all work ok on the F80? If any are DX, you will need a crop sensor, or you will need to replace them too if you want a full frame camera.

The D700 is a good choice, and is still holding its own price wise compared to the D600/800. A very capable camera.

Nick

scottishphototours

Yep, D700 any day. Brilliant camera...

col.campbell
    13 Feb 2013 - 11:02 AM

Yep Nick, I'm not surprised, that was just a guess. It's definitely beyond economical repair, then.
    The lenses are all FX, the idea being that I'd be able to swap freely between film & digital. At least that means that I don't need to replace them all at once.

Railcam
    Railcam  8480 forum posts Scotland
    13 Feb 2013 - 11:33 AM

I moved from the D200 to a D700 two years ago. It is brilliant and I am not looking to change as it does everything I need. It is especially good at high ISOs.

KNS
    KNS  5106 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Feb 2013 - 12:40 PM

Pay your money take your choice - both Nikon and Canon have price points on new equipment set at levels for almost any budget now.... Personally I might be thinking towards used D3, but that's only beacuse I don't own one at present Smile

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7822 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Feb 2013 - 1:42 PM

You're in for a treat as any of Nikon's current DSLRs are going to be a massive step up both in terms of resolution and low-light sensitivity. Their consumer models might disappoint in comparison in build quality and ergonomics - no top plate/second dial, but they easily beat the D100 on image quality.

The D700 is a very fine camera if you do want to go full frame, but its price has not dropped so significantly that it doesn't look like poor value against the D600, which for a little more gives you double the resolution [by area] and probably better low-light capability when downsampled. Brilliant AF system and dual card slots [although both SD] what's not to like?

col.campbell
    13 Feb 2013 - 2:39 PM

Thanks Chris. Thanks everyone. I said I wasn't setting out with a budget in mind but I think we may have found it there. c. 1.5k for a body only, seems too steep for me unfortunately. I may end up spending that kind of money, but I had a gut feeling that I should be getting at least one lens as well if I do. I think a used D700 may be the way to go.

If only Camelot would sell me a Lucky Dip which was actually lucky!

Last Modified By col.campbell at 13 Feb 2013 - 8:12 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.