Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hahnel Wired Controller

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    sallybea
    sallybea  441 forum posts United Kingdom
    20 Feb 2012 - 7:21 PM

I was recently been given a wired Hahnel Remote Controller but it came without the supporting documents. I am wondering if I have set my Nikon D200 correctly because I cannot get the camera to take the shot!

I have set the camera to Bulb, manual Settings and although I can see the remote is 'talking' to the Camera the camera will not fire. I have a green light and also a red light flashing for three secs - has anyone got the time to point a novice in the right direction. A step by step of the Nikon D200 camera settings for a wired remote control would be wonderful. I have searched high and low for some help online, found the supporting documents for the controller but the manual for the Nikon D200 does not have any detail about how to set the camera. This Hahnel has a ten point plug which then attaches to the shoe. I don't fully understand what 'bulb' mode is. I think I am correct in thinking that I cannot use program auto with the controller so I have to assume I can only use manual mode. I would appreciate it if anyone could help me please. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Feb 2012 - 7:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jimthistle73
    20 Feb 2012 - 7:48 PM

Bulb mode is for exposures longer than the camera can do by itself. The slowest shutter speed my D300 can manage for instance, is 30 seconds. If I wanted a one minute exposure, I'd have to use bulb setting. Without a remote, bulb only works for as long as you keep your finger pressed down on the shutter release button - this is obviously less than ideal, so a remote would normally be used. Most remotes will have a sliding panel which holds down the shutter release switch so you don't have to hold it in for the duration of the exposure.

That all said, your remote should fire the D200 in any setting, so far as I know. Try setting the D200 to 10 seconds at f5.6 (for example) in manual mode. If the remote doesn't fire the shutter, it's either faulty or the wrong model for your camera.

Hope that helps!

User_Removed
    20 Feb 2012 - 9:45 PM

Not much help to the original poster - but I really did prefer when cameras had both a B and a T setting. With B the shutter remained open for as long as you help the button down whereas, in T, it opened at the first press and remained open until the next press.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.