Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hands on with the Sony Alpha A700 Replacement - New Prototype

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 - 3:51 PM

sony-a700-replacement-new-proto--2---custom-.jpg

sony-a700-replacement-new-proto--4---custom-.jpg

sony-a700-replacement-new-proto--3---custom-.jpg

sony-a700-replacement-new-proto--1-.jpg

sony-a700-replacement-new-proto--5---custom-.jpg

A non-working prototype is on display, Sony were kind enough to let me have a more "hands on" look at the camera - they said it will use the translucent mirror technology as featured in the a33 and a55. I'm guessing it uses SD memory, and has a swivel screen on the back. Anyone else want to guess or speculate on what it might feature when it is released?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Mar 2011 - 3:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96307 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2011 - 4:21 PM

Quote: Anyone else want to guess or speculate on what it might feature when it is released?

Video Recording ?

dwilkin
dwilkin  724249 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 - 4:46 PM

I've heard rumors of a new sensor, APS-C with 24MP. Believe it if you will...

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 - 5:25 PM

sony-earlier-prototype--small-.jpg

Full HD (AVCHD) Video

This is the earlier prototype shown at Photokina - and on the A700 the dial was for S,A,C,M focus.

Last Modified By joshwa at 7 Mar 2011 - 5:27 PM
mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2011 - 5:27 PM

Looks a bit plasticy Wink
Although the see through body does look a bit funky,

dwilkin
dwilkin  724249 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Mar 2011 - 5:45 PM

Quote: on the A700 the dial was for S,A,C,M focus

Looks a bit big for that - although the A700 version was a little small and fiddly for me, so it may be OK...

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
7 Mar 2011 - 6:17 PM

Quote: Although the see through body does look a bit funky,

That would be a great option, Now all it needs is an " Apple " logo, Call it an " iSony " or " iCam " and they will sell by the Trillions, Even if they are rubbish......!!!

Some nice options in tinted acrylics, Say one to match your eye or hair colour, Maybe even custom to match your nail polish too......Grin

Now that will up the sales by another trillion or so.....Wink

Why should cameras be mainly black...? I really fancied one of the new Pentax models in " Red " Smile Until they pointed out that the red matching lens was just for advertising...Sad

Last Modified By cameracat at 7 Mar 2011 - 6:21 PM
Thincat
Thincat  7616 forum posts
8 Mar 2011 - 4:45 PM

These old pictures of Sony mock-ups have been around for a long time.

What seems to be probable is that the new Sony A7xx (successor to the A700) will be an SLT (Sony representatives have said that). It will have a much better EVF (Sony have said that). It will have a much better high ISO capability (Sony representatives have said that). It'll also have an alloy body and be priced to compete with the Canon 60D (Sony representatives have said that).

The rest is speculation, but it seems that it'll be called the A77, it'll probably have a new 18Mp sensor (with an even better sensitivity than the current 16Mp sensor) and it'll be more pro-oriented (i.e. it'll have more buttons, like the A700). Most of the so-called problems with the A33/A55 will be solved (Sony have promised to resolve the over-heating issue with extended video) and it'll be released in the Autumn.

Nice wind-up though. But I guess it'll blow the 60D and D7000 into the weeds.

Last Modified By Thincat at 8 Mar 2011 - 4:49 PM
strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
8 Mar 2011 - 5:21 PM

Quote: Nice wind-up though. But I guess it'll blow the 60D and D7000 into the weeds.

I hope so, but if past performance is an indicator it will be better in parts and worse in other parts and end up quite comparable.

Thincat
9 Mar 2011 - 8:59 AM

We'll have to see, but Popular Photography voted the A55 as the camera of the year for 2010, so I guess the A77 will get the award for 2011.

strawman
9 Mar 2011 - 9:18 AM

When the A77 is actually on sale and people can buy it then it is relevant. Till then it is not wise to make pronouncements on its capabilities, especially based on web rumours. Sony have yet to release its specification let alone the camera so how you can judge its performance? There is a lot of internet hot air about the camera, but Sony are not saying much. There is a chance that Sony will roll out a camera with the A55 sensor and EVF plus improved robustness and functionality. In that case image quality is already known. That would not make it a bad camera, but it would not match the hype from the fan boys.

As for Awards, The Nissan Leaf is Car of the year, is it relevant to my car choices?. Lets judge the A77 when and if it actually goes on sale. Till then it is vapour wear.

The EP1 for example also won a camera of the year award, and from memory the Pentax K5 also did along with a few others.

strawman
9 Mar 2011 - 9:50 AM

P.S It is for everyone's benefit that the A77 makes to production and is good in order to make competition and drive advances as long as they improve the photographic experience everyone benefits.

Last Modified By strawman at 9 Mar 2011 - 9:51 AM
5500K  5 Northern Ireland
11 Mar 2011 - 3:49 PM

I really hope they sort out the high ISO problems. I don't see Canon releasing a new DSLR with all kinds of new tech every other week. They've got the basics right in their good quality 7D or 5D - maybe Sony should take a leaf from Canon's book and stop trying to be different - just better! I mean that stupid flash mount for instance - WHY?

heidfirst
heidfirst  5 Scotland
11 Mar 2011 - 4:17 PM

what high ISO problems?
You may not have noticed that the likes of the A580 perform comparably to equivalent Canon & Nikon bodies (actually that's true going back years if you use RAW).
& the iISO mount is easier to click on & off, that's why!Wink
It's also of course a carry over from Minolta.

Thincat
14 Mar 2011 - 3:35 PM

Quote: I don't see Canon releasing a new DSLR with all kinds of new tech every other week. They've got the basics right in their good quality 7D or 5D - maybe Sony should take a leaf from Canon's book and stop trying to be different - just better!

No, Canon update their models about every 18 months. The A77 is a replacement for the A700 which was released nearly 4 years ago. Sometimes being better involves doing things differently. I'm not sure that Canon actually did get the basics right with the 5D. Its focusing system is pretty poor (and it's the same on the 5D MkII) - and focusing is pretty important. As for high ISO, the new Sony 16Mp chip outperforms the Canon 18Mp APS-C sensor in terms of sensitivity - as it should do, being a newer design.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.