Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hard Drive Help

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    warb
    warb  10839 forum posts
    10 Nov 2004 - 6:02 PM

ive been searching and searching to no avail and this sites never let me down before so here goes, ive installed a new hard drive today, which i partitioned into 2, all seems well BUT only one half of the drive is showing in windows, any ideas?

much apreciated thank you :o)

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Nov 2004 - 6:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

UserRemoved
    10 Nov 2004 - 6:06 PM

you did assign a logical drive to both areas after you partitioned it?

warb
    warb  10839 forum posts
    10 Nov 2004 - 6:08 PM

pardon? could you be more specific please? did i miss something out?

UserRemoved
    10 Nov 2004 - 6:23 PM

When you split the partition IIRC you have to assign each partition a logical drive equal to the size of the partition - IIRC - its all a bit hazy warb but I remember getting caught out on that myself a year ago.

GO back to the bios/partition settings and see if any logical drives are assigned in addition to the physical drives.

timiano
    timiano  10894 forum posts United Kingdom
    10 Nov 2004 - 8:00 PM

Hey Warb,

Bit more info dude. OS version, size of disk, how old is the comp?? etc etc...

warb
    warb  10839 forum posts
    11 Nov 2004 - 1:15 AM

XP, 80gig, and about 10 years lol

User_Removed
    11 Nov 2004 - 3:23 AM

In XP, right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage"
    The Computer management MMC screen will appear.

From the list on the left hand side, select "Disk Management" under the "Storage" section. The Disk Management stuff will pop up in the right hand panes.

In the top half of the right hand side you will have a list of all physical and logical disks. As you already have half of the drive showing (I'm presuming that it's the only drive in there at this point...), your C: drive will be listed at the top with a 40GB partitition.

Now, I'm making sweeping assumptions here, but underneath that you will either have a section of "unpartitioned space", or you will have a logical drive that has not been assigned a drive letter - it'll look the same as your C: drive but have no letter. In the case of the former, right click and there'll be some kind of menu option for creating a partition. If the drive is already partitioned then right-click and select the "Change drive letter and path" option and give it a letter. I recommend in either case that you format the partition before you save anything to it.

HTH, give me a shout if you need any more help.

warb
    warb  10839 forum posts
    11 Nov 2004 - 4:43 AM

thanks very much james, and everyone else.

i think (i hope) all seems to be fine now, i went back got rid of the partition and started again, not quite sure what if anything i did different but it seems to be ok now, bloody computers eh!

cheers!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.