Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Hard drive storage and back up

monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
1 Jul 2011 12:40AM
Ok, I have for many years stored every image I have even taken on one hard drive (OK I know I am mad). I moved up from a 320gb to a 1tb when space became an issue. I now obviously want to back up the 1tb hard drive image files to a new 1tb external drive I have just bought. The trouble is that backing it up once took hours so I wonder if there is software that will monitor my main storage drive and watch for changes since backing up ... when those changes and additions to the drive are made they, and only they are written to the back up drive, thus mirroring it without the need to keep backing up the whole drive. Thanks in anticipation of any help. Apologies if this has been covered already.

Cheers, Paul D

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2011 1:31AM
Paul, some good advice on it here
66tricky 8 742 Scotland
1 Jul 2011 1:38AM
I use Memeo Backup that came with a Buffalo 500Gb external drive. It backs up what and when you want, as things change etc. Works quietly and efficiently in the background.
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
1 Jul 2011 2:21AM
Thanks guys .. hopefully some peace of mind will follow soon.
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
1 Jul 2011 5:59AM
I use SyncToy. After the initial backup, it just takes a few minutes at consequent backups to record changes. I have gotten into the habit of using it after I've finished any image editing.
stomp 13 203 England
1 Jul 2011 6:31AM

Quote:I use SyncToy. After the initial backup, it just takes a few minutes at consequent backups to record changes. I have gotten into the habit of using it after I've finished any image editing.

I also use Synctoys to back up from a 1Tb internal disc to an external 1Tb disc. I have it scheduled to do this every morning at 04:00. I also use the CONTRIBUTE mode which in essence will never delete any file on the backup disc but will change files that have been changed on the internal disc or add new files that have been added to the internal disc.

Steve
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
1 Jul 2011 8:19AM
Another good one is Allway Sync , which I use in the same way Steve uses Synctoys.

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.