Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hard to believe...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85749 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jan 2010 - 8:25 PM

..unless one is there to witness it

...and we moan over a tad of snow and a few degrees minus

Mongolia

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Jan 2010 - 8:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jonah794
    jonah794  41723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jan 2010 - 8:33 PM

Sheesh... pretty horrible! You are right Sad

User_Removed
    27 Jan 2010 - 9:10 PM

That is horrendous... A million livestock.

chalkhillblue
    chalkhillblue e2 Member 5143 forum postschalkhillblue vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jan 2010 - 9:16 PM

Certainly puts things in perspective Adrian, your heart goes out to these poor people.
    David

Jay44
    Jay44  81443 forum posts Wales
    28 Jan 2010 - 12:32 AM

And the fact that our schools close because of 2inches of snow is disgraceful!

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139368 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jan 2010 - 1:32 AM

Quote: And the fact that our schools close because of 2inches of snow is disgraceful!

Most schoolkids would prefer one or even half an inch of snow to be the criterion! Grin

Jestertheclown
    28 Jan 2010 - 9:37 AM

Quote: And the fact that our schools close because of 2inches of snow is disgraceful!

The head at the school where I work wouldn't normally allow the school to be closed if there was an act of God. But unfortunately when roads become so impassable that teachers and other staff simply can't get there, she has little choice.
    Jester.

kaybee
    kaybee  93703 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jan 2010 - 11:28 AM

How did we ever manage in years gone by?
    Kids (and teachers) used to walk when the weather was bad. Classes would be amalgamted if teachers didn't make it

User_Removed
    28 Jan 2010 - 11:36 AM

The college I work at hadn't closed for snow in 30 years until this year. The problem with walking to college for staff and students is distance. Most of our staff live well outside the town we are in, I am 12 miles away and the students from all over the county.

However, learning doesn't stop. Most colleges use their VLE's to give students work to do while the college is closed. Staff and students can interact via it and work set and marked. So just because a college is closed doesn't mean learning and work stops. Not sure if this happens in schools as much, but certainly in Somerset every school has the ability to work in this way.

Overread
    Overread  53745 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jan 2010 - 11:38 AM

Ahh but in those days schools and students were generally a lot closer to each other. 35mins by car (partly down a main road so not all slow backroads) and 20mins by car were the best times to the two schools I went to. I would hate to think how long that would take me to actually walk to. Chances are by the time I arrive it would be time to turn around and head home again.

The idea of having serivces and work close to home has rapidly fallen away and now most people have a commute to get everywhere.

Jestertheclown
    28 Jan 2010 - 2:31 PM

Quote: How did we ever manage in years gone by?
    Kids (and teachers) used to walk when the weather was bad. Classes would be amalgamated if teachers didn't make it

There's a grain of truth in that.

I was at school during that famous winter of 1963 and my school remained open. But as AHobbs has said, it's mostly a mater of distance. All the children where I work do live within walking distance, though many would expire from shock if you suggested it but the teachers have to travel to get there. Many do come in on foot but for most, it's just not possible.

As for amalgamating classes. Whilst in theory it would work, in practice it would fail because the ratio of pupils-to-teachers would be too high, according to the figures passed down to us from the government (who know absolutely everything there is to know about absolutely everything.)

Jester.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 28 Jan 2010 - 2:31 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.