Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hard to believe II

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2010 - 8:53 PM

This article from the BBC is very strange

A similar case in Derbyshire a year or two ago had the unfortunates, or is it misfortunates, having to demolish their "home".

Seems to me this verdict is telling people to do what they want regarding planning laws and if the authorities do not find out about it for four years, they are OK!

Adrian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jan 2010 - 8:53 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
29 Jan 2010 - 9:07 PM

I read this earlier Adrian.

I agree with your synopsis inasmuch that it would appear to to be the case in that LA area. Whether that would have relevance in our LA area I don't know.

As you say though... most odd.

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2010 - 9:32 PM

Just a thought Mike, but the bean counters at the LA might have realised how much Council tax they could now screw out of the owners Smile

Adrian

User_Removed
29 Jan 2010 - 9:39 PM

Possibly... or even the fact that the place looks like...

A farm?

Have to say... I'm not impressed with it at all.

Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315362 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2010 - 10:03 PM

Would loose a lot if sold, who would buy that as a home ?

Overread
Overread  63763 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2010 - 10:24 PM

I recall someone trying this on a few years ago -they built a castle and hid it behind hay yep really!
I don't recall the end of the tale (and google is just giving me new reports of the main discovery) but I seem to recall that he lost the appeal and it was pulled down even after the 4 year wait (on the technicality that no one had seen it to object)

Last Modified By Overread at 29 Jan 2010 - 10:25 PM
mcgannc
mcgannc  5389 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2010 - 10:31 PM

Quote: I recall someone trying this on a few years ago -they built a castle and hid it behind hay yep really!
I don't recall the end of the tale (and google is just giving me new reports of the main discovery) but I seem to recall that he lost the appeal and it was pulled down even after the 4 year wait (on the technicality that no one had seen it to object)

If I remember right, this guy managed to find an old law that says a man is legally entitled to build himself a castle...think he was waiting on the outcome of that appeal last I heard! Fair play though, it takes some balls to try and get away with something like that.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012603 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2010 - 10:40 PM

Planning laws are very complex these days, we' ve even had to submit design and access statements for garden sheds on some developments.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
30 Jan 2010 - 12:32 PM

I doubt if the laws as they stand took into account someone going to these lengths. However nice inside who would really want to live in such a monstrosity?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139444 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2010 - 12:53 PM

Quote: However nice inside who would really want to live in such a monstrosity?

Indeed. A "luxury home worth 500,000"? With no windows?!

I wouldn't give them 5 for it! Grin

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2010 - 1:27 PM

Quote: With no windows?!

Perhaps the run Macs, CB? Wink

SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2010 - 4:32 PM

Looking at the pic it does appear to have windows in the roof. I expect they've got a cunning light-maximising design strategy inside. Smile Bizarre, all the same.

Last Modified By SuziBlue at 30 Jan 2010 - 4:33 PM
kaybee
kaybee  103823 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2010 - 6:44 PM

I bet now it is deemed 'legal' there will be changes made to it to make it look more homely

chris.maddock
30 Jan 2010 - 9:04 PM

Quote: I bet now it is deemed 'legal' there will be changes made to it to make it look more homely

And I bet the local authority planners will be keeping a very close eye on it, insisting on planning permission and building regs for anything they spot Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2010 - 9:13 PM

Quote: I bet now it is deemed 'legal' there will be changes made to it to make it look more homely

However, any changes may well be subject to the planning regs, now it is known.

Which could turn out to be a bit awkward! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.