Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Has any one bought a lens from Amazon ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SGIBBONS
SGIBBONS  556 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2009 - 10:33 AM

Hi All

Hope you are all well !

Just wanted to ask a quick question have any of you bought lenses from Amazon ? If yes....how do you rate them etc ?

The reason im asking is im thinking of buying a Canon Lens and ive never bought camera equipment from them before.

Thanks again

Sam Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Sep 2009 - 10:33 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2009 - 10:35 AM

From Amazon or Amazon Marketplace?

Metalhead
Metalhead  61864 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2009 - 10:40 AM

I haven't bought a lens from them but I bought my 400D from them in August 2007 just before the money-off offer ran out. I paid the extra few quid for Express Delivery and sure enough it arrived very safely packaged the next day to my work's address. The price was cheaper than elsewhere at the time too.

That was direct from Amazon themselves, not a Market Place seller. Beware of the Market Place as you may not have the same "comeback" as direct from Amazon, especially on a high price item like a lens.

I've bought dozens of other things direct from Amazon over the years, mainly CDs and DVDs, and the service has always been great, by the way.

collywobles
30 Sep 2009 - 10:41 AM

I use Amazon an awfull lot in the last 6 years and have never had any problems.

drewd
drewd  831 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Sep 2009 - 10:42 AM

Yeah I've got a lens from them, very good service and quick delivery if the item is in stock.

irishman
irishman  101118 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2009 - 10:46 AM

Quote: From Amazon or Amazon Marketplace?

Amazon are great for cameras and lens but be careful of Amazon marketplace, there can be some very dodgy dealers on there.

Metalhead
Metalhead  61864 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2009 - 10:51 AM

Quote: I haven't bought a lens from them

Correction! I bought the 50mm f/1.8 from Amazon some while ago too, so I have bought a lens from them, and yes the service was still excellent!

SGIBBONS
SGIBBONS  556 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2009 - 10:53 AM

Yes i thinking of buying direct from Amazon themselves....it is a little more expensive than the Marketplace dealers, but still cheaper than anywhere else and ill have peace of mind. Just wanted to check first.

Thanks all again for your responses !

Sam Smile

Nickscape
Nickscape  8693 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2009 - 10:59 AM

Amazon are very tough with their marketplace dealers, if you buy from a reputable name on there you should have a problem as amazon sets seller standards and if they have any problems they simply get banned from trading on amazon. It is vastly different to buying from ebay and such. I think to sell electronics like the clothing you have to pass tests to prove you are a reputable seller and are not selling fakes and such.

Buying from amazon direct is often the cheapest anyway so go for them, they have always been perfect and i have used them alot.

lej
lej  4 Colombia
30 Sep 2009 - 12:43 PM

I bought a 50mm there, and also my camera. It's a great site for buying things and very reliable.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2009 - 12:50 PM

I bought my Canon 5D Mk II from Amazon.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2009 - 2:30 PM

I've bought several lenses from Amazon.co.uk over the years.

The main issue appears to be stock, because they don't hold the stock themselves, so whilst the page may say its in stock, quite often you'll find when they check with their supplier after the order is placed that the stock has run out. It took them about 4 months to stock the 70-200mm f2.8 IS I eventually got from them.

For that one I used the next day before 1pm delivery and that was fine. For other lenses I've just used their standard delivery and they've always come within a week.

A friend recently purchases one of those Sigma 50-150's that won't focus on a canon, and they accepted the return and handled the replacement process for him well.

GazzaG2003
GazzaG2003  11252 forum posts England
30 Sep 2009 - 4:15 PM

I bought the Canon - Telephoto zoom lens - 100 mm - 400 mm - f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM - Canon EF through amazon but was "simplyelectronics" that supplied it, I got it within 2 working days, was excellent service and supplied me with a tracking number for DHL.

cmillc22
cmillc22  7
30 Sep 2009 - 4:46 PM

i have purchased several lens from them and have had no problems. quick and easy. The lens are great and no problems.

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
1 Oct 2009 - 10:53 AM

Over the years I bought 3 cameras and lenses from Amazon. So far I've had no problems.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.