Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Has any one made any cash from photography without portrait pics on here

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

joolsb
joolsb  1027115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2006 - 9:37 AM

It's certainly a new take on the old surf'n'turf combo... Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Oct 2006 - 9:37 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeBonsall
24 Oct 2006 - 10:00 AM

I've just this morning had confirmation that a Trust Company are buying a bulk order of prints from me and are going to use 4 images on their 2007 calendar.

I'm chuffed to bits, my first major sale! Not enough to give up the day job but it will get me that new L lens and pay off the credit card. Smile

The trick is I guess to try and make sure this doesn't end up as a one off!

Mike

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
cf73
cf73  10234 forum posts Australia
24 Oct 2006 - 10:16 AM

Glad to see this thread on here. I am thinking along the same lines of trying to see if I can make a little extra money from photography once my studying is out of the way.

The way I am trying to approach it is, try and find something you are interested in, and it may be more than one genre. For me it could be aviation, motorsport, landscapes or street photography. but more importantly try and see if you can find a different approach to the subject you are interested in. i am thinking along the lines of looking into photography of the area that i live but to do it in a black and white format. This may change but I dont know.

Just my 2 cents worth and I havent even done it yet.....!

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2006 - 10:23 AM

Congrats Mike!
They have left it late to think about their 2007 calendar haven't they? Most publishers will be starting to think about their 2008 calendars soon.

Mattw

MikeBonsall
24 Oct 2006 - 10:29 AM

Quote: Congrats Mike!
They have left it late to think about their 2007 calendar haven't they? Most publishers will be starting to think about their 2008 calendars soon.

I guess so. I know that they've got their own in-house production department so presumably they can turn it around pretty quickly.

Geoffphoto
24 Oct 2006 - 10:39 AM

Another congrats Mike - good for you, mate, and so well deserved. I have always admired your pics here on EPZ, particularly your Burma pics....keep at it and one day you'll earn as much as me !!
Geoff Smile))))

cf73
cf73  10234 forum posts Australia
24 Oct 2006 - 11:13 AM

Mike, I take everything I said back. You dont need my advice, you are streets ahead.
Well done on the sale.
Carl

ronsmith1
ronsmith1  8 England
25 Oct 2006 - 3:38 PM

way to go mike ............. at least some one had some good news ...theres hope yet its not all doom and gloom. .to be made lol

lgc
lgc  1062 forum posts England
25 Oct 2006 - 4:49 PM

I have sold about ten images to surf wear companies, but sell mostly to the surfers directly ( who are always skint). The problem is that I live in Brasil (where the minimum wage is 75 quid a month) so people arent going to have a lot of spare cash to spend on pics. the surf companies here arent big spenders either and sometimes they pay you half in clothing so I would say its pretty impossible to make a living off just photography. I probably made about 400 quid last year( didnt pay any tax Wink)which isnt bad I suppose!

ziddertz
ziddertz  961 forum posts
25 Oct 2006 - 5:55 PM

I have made money out of motorsports stuff(not a living)but I am not complaining,so far this year it has paid for a

D2x
Nikon 300mm f2.8 AF-S II
Nikon 70-200 AF-S VR f2.8
Sigma 24-70 EX f2.8
Sigma 70-200 EX f2.8
Tamrac expedition 7
Sigma 500 DG super flash

Mine was a case of right place etc

theredbaron
25 Oct 2006 - 6:17 PM

I have just won a competition at work, and this has lead to my first paid job for their magazine.
I hope they want some more one day. I have bought a Canon 580EX flash and 50mm 1.8II portrait lens with the proceeds.
Chris Brown (Herts)

thompp
thompp  849 forum posts
26 Oct 2006 - 10:24 AM

Quote:
I have made money out of motorsports stuff(not a living)but I am not complaining,so far this year it has paid for a

D2x
Nikon 300mm f2.8 AF-S II
Sigma 24-70 EX f2.8
Sigma 70-200 EX f2.8
Tamrac expedition 7
Sigma 500 DG super flash

Mine was a case of right place etc

Which is worth a few thousand quid !!!!

I've sold a very small number of images through photographersdirect.com.

MikeBonsall
26 Oct 2006 - 10:53 AM

Quote: D2x
Nikon 300mm f2.8 AF-S II
Sigma 24-70 EX f2.8
Sigma 70-200 EX f2.8
Tamrac expedition 7
Sigma 500 DG super flash

Two 70-200's. Now isn't that being just a little bit greedy Wink

samfurlong
26 Oct 2006 - 10:57 AM

Coming into photography is very difficult without a lucky break to get you going. The memories of this break will also encourage you and help get you through the lean times when you are starting out.

I used to work shifts on local / regional newspapers, do freelance jobs when time allowed and even getting that work can be really, really hard. There is so much competition in every area of photography that you have to keep plugging away and be prepared for the failures. Never talk your work down - there are plenty of people out there willing to do that for you!!!

As you may have gathered I make my living these days shooting news / sport / features etc.. for national newspapers (am sat here at the moment killing time before doing a job for the Sun). Occasionally I do PR stuff (pays too well to ignore).

So yeah - just keep plugging away, you'll get there in the end.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.