Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Has anybody got the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens ?

Tell me if you've got this lens, what your opinion is and give me a link with your photos so I can have a look.
Or suggest an alternative. I would like to take photos of butterflies and other shy creatures.
Thank you,
Jean-NoŽl

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

flyingseale 7 400 3 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2008 5:23PM
Looking at your portfolio, you already have the Sigma 105 Macro. If you got the Tamron 70-300 you'd be very disappointed. I have the model prior to the one you quote, but it's essentially the same. Focus is very slow and noisy and image quality is not exactly stunning...but what do you expect for £100. If you want a 70-300 then the Sigma APO will give a better quality image for about £160, but focus is still slow. If it were me, I'd save my pennies and get the Nikon 70-300 VR for about £330 or if you want a true macro for butterflies get the Sigma 150 or 180. The Nikon and both Sigma's have SWM/HSM which is a big advantage in my opinion.
If you want to see the i/q of the Tamron send me a pm with your email address and I'll send you a jpeg or two taken today at Monkey World using said lens attached to a D50.

Mike
Thanks Mike.
16 Apr 2008 6:39PM
I've got one and i'm quite happy with it - can be frustrating sometimes as it 'hunts' noisily and can go off focus easily and has to hunt again but I do like it. Some of my recent work is taken using it and I was pleased with the quality
Liz x
Thanks Liz. Your photos are great and sharp. I'll wait a bit and do do some research.
Jean-NoŽl
IanA 11 3.0k 12 England
16 Apr 2008 11:01PM
For the money its a surprisingly good lens, although no match for a prime anywhere in its focal length. As Mike says, you will be disapointed if comparing it to the 105mm Sigma or 90mm Tamron for example.
Having said that, it is also very lightweight and easy to carry in a pocket or small bag! My wife loves hers!

Ian
rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
16 Apr 2008 11:34PM
I've got one and don't have a problem with it, not noticed it hunting for focus either, but I geuss it depends on whether you're shooting an elephant or a bird Wink There's a few wildlife shots I've taken with it near the start of my pf, can't remember what other ones off the top of my head (other than tonight's upload funnily enough!)

EDIT - I remembered there's a couple of flowers in there too that I used the macro setting on, although I was on top of a stepladder to do so!
Artois 8 405 1 United Kingdom
16 Apr 2008 11:56PM
I have the tamron which came as a bundle with my camera. I find it's great for me, but then I have only been taking pics since Feb. My camellia shot was taken from about 5-6 feet away with it and it took a clear pic. For a budget lens I think its great. I have done a few macro bits with it but I have to say that the canon macro I borrowed beats it hand down. As ever I think these decisions often have to come down to budget.
Stella
Thank you very much for your replies. I'll have a look at your photos as well to see the lens "in action".
I will thik hard before committing my pennies.
Jean-NoŽl

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.