Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Has anyone seen results from the eFilm cartridge yet?

tomato 13 2
27 Mar 2001 7:14AM
The cartridge that converts a normal SLR to take digital photos has been previewed for several years at trade exhibitions in Cologne and USA, but it still has not reached the shops...will it ever?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tom hardwick 13 11
8 Aug 2001 1:28AM
It looked like a con looking for financial support to me. Unless it was a physically huge chip the lenses that were going to be fronting it
would be far too long for anyone but bird watchers. It looked to be a clever idea that all of us chemical photographers wanted to believe in, and if
it's still out there and in prototype form, then lets see some results.

But I'm a doubting tom, and know that digital cams have far more electronic processors inside them than any film fed EOS. It's this thought that fills
me with suspicion. But hey - prove me wrong! Then I can dig out my Canon 1014E Super8 cam, slide in a 720 x 576 chipped dummy film cartridge and away I go.
Instant camcorder. But I doubt it. Shakes head slowly, leaves stage left.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
It reared itself again at PMA this Feb. Once again, it was still in prototype stage and was being beta tested. I want to believe it will happen, but, like you Tom, I feel sceptical.
If you go to the Silicon Film Technologies web site, there are some pictures posted there from the E Film.
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
I work in digital imaging (RIP software to digital minilab printers) and still shoot mainly on film. I have the use of a Fuji S1 which is great, but sticking a digital "film" in a standard SLR detracts from the main advantage of digital cameras - that you can see what you shot and delete it if you don't like it.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
23 Aug 2001 5:44PM
Good point. What would be good is a high resolution back that replaces the exisitng one and has a cable transfering the image picked up trhough the lens to an electronic viewfinder that slides over the eyepiece. Trouble is most of the new cameras don't have a removable back so it's unlikely to be developed. Shame because I have an old Nikon F3 eagerly waiting to be modified! And you can pick up loads of great second hand cameras with a clip off back.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
29 Mar 2011 7:28PM
I'd take it with just a histogram review, which is how I started with digital in the first place.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
29 Mar 2011 7:49PM
Lol @ the ancient thread! Grin
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
29 Mar 2011 7:55PM
Why would anyone want it. I use an old RB67 and an old F2n for film. I use a D3s and D300 for digital. Frankly, I use old film cameras because I love film. I use digital cameras for their convenience, even though, quality-wise, they cannot yet compete with film (although they meet 95% of my needs).

Its a bit like saying that someone has found a way to put an E-type engine in a Ford Prefect. Why???? I loved my Prefect because of all the wonderful sex I had in the back seat in the 1950s. If I wanted E-type performance without having an actual E-type, I'd buy a cheapo Subaru.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
29 Mar 2011 8:02PM
10 years. Phew.
keithh e2
29 Mar 2011 8:37PM
Lol how did that one rear it's head in Recent Activity
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
29 Mar 2011 9:03PM
Someone resurected it ... I wonder who? Have you lost a decade Keith?
spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
29 Mar 2011 9:29PM
So is the efilm cartridge out yet?
keithh e2
29 Mar 2011 9:48PM
I just wish it was real

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.