Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Has anyone used One Stop Digital to purchase SLR Body?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
frankiej
frankiej  2 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2013 - 6:23 AM

Hi there,

I'm looking to get a D600 body and after an internet search the cheapest was around 1150 with pro camera shop and the next one 1999 with OSD. The cheapest UK price I could find was 1449, so quite a big difference! I had a quite a comprehensive look at OSD and I realise if anything went wrong I'd have to send it back to HK at their cost. They also claim to refund any import costs incurred, has anyone experience of this? Also, has anyone purchased the Mack Insurance policy? Any advice welcome! It doesn't state what's in the box, so I've emailed them asking. I know a lot of Hong Kong sellers set up to make it look as though they operate from the UK, which is why I was more attracted to OSD as at least they state they're in HK!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jan 2013 - 6:23 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

geoffash26
geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Jan 2013 - 6:29 AM

It's always nice to save some money Grin but if things go wrong you'll wish youd bought local Sad

frankiej
29 Jan 2013 - 6:30 AM

I've just come across HDew cameras, who are also selling at a competitive price, does anyone have any experience with them?

frankiej
29 Jan 2013 - 6:31 AM

Yes that's true! I suppose the inconvenience of sending it back to hong kong and then awaiting it's return is a big drawback!

kodachrome
29 Jan 2013 - 7:32 AM

I bought a Tamron lense from OSD about 2 years ago, it took about 10 days to arrive from actually placing the order. There were no problems or hitches and it was delivered by DHL.
It all boils down to whether you trust them or not. I have heard of one or two bad experiences but also good. Simply electronics are another over seas seller probably Hong Kong, and I have heard they are slow and you can't track the item which can be a worry. It took nearly 3 weeks for my Tokina lens to arrive from SE. Big sigh of relief when it arrived.
Pete

boov
boov  1 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2013 - 9:19 AM

HDEW seem to be ok, bought a lens from them , arrived within the week. I phoned them up to actually check them out, very helpful and upfront

Cantley
Cantley  2 Wales
29 Jan 2013 - 10:01 AM

I used One Stop a couple of years ago for a Sigma lens and they were excellent. The tracking (until it got to the UK) worked, delivery was fast and the price was very good. I would use them again along with a number of other distant suppliers, good luck.

puertouk
puertouk  21012 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2013 - 10:26 AM

Try Panamoz. Its 1128 on there and they guarantee to pay any import tax back to you.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62359 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
29 Jan 2013 - 2:39 PM

The main reason for the price difference is no VAT is paid on the camera bodies and overseas suppliers rely on few imported parcels being opened by customs.
The small print on the website usually makes you responsible for declaring the camera for tax and, at least in theory, if you do not you can be prosecuted.
The cameras are unlikely to be 100% legal in the UK unless they come with a CE charger and EEC certification, meaning UK retailers should not sell them.
What happens about warranty work is an open question. You do not get your UK legal right for up to a six month period for a refund from the retailer if a fault develops.
There are reports a few sources are "extra cheap" - and the camera comes without a battery, charger etc Sad
On a legal point in law higher-priced cameras and lenses imported this way do not legally belong to you unless someone pays the VAT, and if a lens the additional import duty.
As a rule of thumb much more than 10% less than UK street price (minus VAT plus extra shipping) seems about the going rate for what seems to be a form of tax evasion.

frankiej
29 Jan 2013 - 2:58 PM

I see with HDEW that they're based in Surrey and the cameras are already here and the warranty is through them not the manufacturer. It gets repaired in UK, so a lot less hassle than sending it back to Hong Kong. I just wonder whether an independence insurer would cover this camera (as I'd want to take out accidental damage), I emailed them and they said it's UK specification.

MartinBrown
MartinBrown e2 Member 394 forum postsMartinBrown vcard England
29 Jan 2013 - 3:02 PM

I have used one stop on many occasions for lenses - the service and speed of delivery was first class. Also if you are hammered with import duty they will pay the duty for you.

caromal
caromal  5 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2013 - 11:46 AM

I ordred a sigma lens from Pro Camera Shop, it took 3 days and I was able to track the order at all times. I think they are based in Carlisle, Cumbria.

LenShepherd
3 Feb 2013 - 12:23 PM

Quote: I see with HDEW that they're based in Surrey and the cameras are already here and the warranty is through them not the manufacturer. (snipped) I emailed them and they said it's UK specification.

Surely if it is UK specification it comes through the agency of Nikon UK with the Nikon EEC 12 month warranty, and if a Nikon body with the free Nikon UK 2 year warranty extension option?
On a detail it is important to understand where the invoice is issued is not always the country where the goods are shipped from. If the invoice is not from the UK with VAT included it is often very difficult to find this detail on the company website.
If you have house contents insurance it is fairly straightforward to include all your camera equipment for damages and theft away from home by way of an all risks type extension

nikon777
nikon777  2
31 Dec 2013 - 4:09 AM

Quote: I've just come across HDew cameras, who are also selling at a competitive price, does anyone have any experience with them?

I has buy from HDew, very good service and great Warranty. Replay me a New Nikon D600 in a few day. and it much cheaper. I am sure will buy it from them again

LenShepherd
31 Dec 2013 - 9:05 AM

Quote: I've just come across HDew cameras, who are also selling at a competitive price, does anyone have any experience with them?
I has buy from HDew, very good service and great Warranty. Replay me a New Nikon D600 in a few day. and it much cheaper. I am sure will buy it from them again

If some-one stole a camera from a UK camera shop most people would expect them to be prosecuted for the crime if they made a public statement that they had stolen the camera.
It is a crime not to declare tax on personally imported goods on which tax is due because in effect you are stealing the tax due from all other taxpayers. It seems tax has not been paid when shipping from overseas from either trading name mentioned. Those who do not declare tax which should be declared would seem to be stealing the equivalent of 20% of the price paid for a camera body and about 27% on the price paid for a lens.
Often the price is not competitive if allowance is made for the probable potential theft of the 20% tax likely to due on a camera body when personally imported from outside the EEC without declaring and paying the tax.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.