Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Has the law changed or have we changed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
User_Removed
19 Oct 2011 - 10:04 AM

On TV I saw some guys getting into the back of a van and it reminded me that in the early nineties we'd regularly pile into the back of my mate's van and go to raves etc.

A few years before that another friend had a pick up truck and we'd ride in the back, sometimes standing holding on to the bar behind the cab facing the wind. Exhilarating.

You'd never dream of it doing it now, was it always actually illegal?

A Sky engineer today can't climb a ladder without doing a risk assessment and using several safety features. Have health and safety laws changed in the last twenty years or is it just that the Law Society relaxed the rules on solicitors advertising and released the US-style ambulance chasers?

Has the law changed or have we changed?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Oct 2011 - 10:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Andy_Cundell
19 Oct 2011 - 10:34 AM

I think it's more the law, especially with seatbelts required to be worn by all passengers.

Andy

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2011 - 10:37 AM

Going to a rave is a bit different to going up ladders at work...

mikehit
mikehit  56332 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2011 - 10:44 AM

Regarding the van, it has been an offence for ages (read well before early 90s) to have people packed into the back of a van or similar. It is something to do with the safety of passengers.
As for the use of safety equipment, the laws have not changed much recently, but interpretation has become much more strict. The one big change is that companies can be fined for not enforcing the regulations even if no accident has actually happened, but equally the employee has a responsibility to follow safety procedures and most companies now treat it as a disciplinary offence to not use safety gear. I was talking to one scaffolder who has been doing this for donkey's years and he is amazed to think back to what he used to do when working on high without safety gear. All changes for the good I think.

User_Removed
19 Oct 2011 - 11:59 AM

Both.

And certainly in the case of 'elf 'n Safety' regulations, not for the better.

brrttpaul
brrttpaul  3203 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Oct 2011 - 12:06 PM

Health and safety in my job (bricklayer) has gone absolutly crazy. we all have to have cscs cards now before being allowed on site which you pay for out of your pocket. The questions are on a touch screen and are an insult to intelligence in my opinion. One of the questions was and I quote
" you are using an electrical drill when it catches fire"
do you

A, switch it off
B, put it in a bucket of water
or C switch it off and report it faulty
total insult i think and i got to pay for that

davey_griffo
19 Oct 2011 - 12:20 PM

So what was your answer Paul? Smile

I didn't notice a "D, drop it like a hot brick & leg it", which is what I'd do. Smile

User_Removed
19 Oct 2011 - 12:28 PM

I guess they need to weed out the people who'd stick them in buckets of water - and I bet there are some.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2011 - 12:30 PM

They have to make the questions obvious as they are intended to test Builders.
Wink

+ another wink for clarification Wink

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3795 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Oct 2011 - 1:07 PM

Given that the construction industry has the highest death and injury rates per head of workforce of any industry in the country, and given some of the ludicrous practices I've seen on my travels, I'm not sure that winks are appropriate for construction workers in general.

CaptivePhotons
CaptivePhotons e2 Member 111541 forum postsCaptivePhotons vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2011 - 1:13 PM

Quote: Given that the construction industry has the highest death and injury rates per head of workforce of any industry in the country

Taken in context, I believe we also have the lowest death rates within the construction industry in Europe.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3795 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Oct 2011 - 1:29 PM

Quote: Given that the construction industry has the highest death and injury rates per head of workforce of any industry in the country

Taken in context, I believe we also have the lowest death rates within the construction industry in Europe.

Perhaps that's due to our 'intelligence insulting' health & Safety stuff.

mikehit
mikehit  56332 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2011 - 1:34 PM

I think it is like subliminal advertising - if you constantly remember the 'stupid' answer because it was 'stupid' then perhpas you by default know what the correct answer was. So the question is a different way of reinforcing knowledge.

Jestertheclown
19 Oct 2011 - 2:01 PM

Quote: the highest death and injury rates per head of workforce of any industry in the country

That rather dubious title used to belong to the papermaking industry.

User_Removed
19 Oct 2011 - 2:05 PM

Why did it used to be so dangerous Bren?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.