Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Has the law changed or have we changed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
AlexandraSD
AlexandraSD e2 Member 2432 forum postsAlexandraSD vcard United Kingdom
19 Oct 2011 - 2:16 PM

Back in the rave days there used to be 6 of us crammed into a VW Jetty, the wheel arches would constantly rub on the back wheels and it was covered in rust, no one wore a seatbelt in the back, some of us even **** ***** and got properly *** *** **** (censored by rob) and we are still alive today Smile

We need H&S because we are idiots who would end up in A&E in no time covered in cuts and bruises if it wasnt for good old H&S regulations.

My mum works in a local spacial needs school, who regularly has to attend H&S meetings, so far she has learned to make a cup of tea, stand up correctly and how to boil an egg.......

....safely.

Now, i know my mum quite well, im quite sure i never saw her making a cup of tea while doing handstands or standing up incorrectly or boiling an egg to an inch of its life or testing how hot the water is by dipping a finger into the boiling water.

H&S is just there to cover employers arses, who are terrified of being sued for neglecting that we are all idiots!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Oct 2011 - 2:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2011 - 2:17 PM

Quote: H&S is just there to cover employers arses

Spot on.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2011 - 2:22 PM

and you wonder why employers have to cover their 'arses' http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2139036/Caretaker-who-fell-off-stepladder...

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 19 Oct 2011 - 2:28 PM
Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2011 - 2:25 PM

Quote: My mum works in a local spacial needs school

Small school is it?
Smile

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2011 - 2:35 PM

Quote: H&S is just there to cover employers arses

Spot on.

A lot of the trouble stems from ambulance chasing lawyers & the culture of sue, sue, sue for anything.
People take no responsibility for their own safety these days & the common cry is "you never told me I couldn't do that!" regardless of how idiotic their action was.
However I do agree with the tightening of rules on building sites; some of the observations my son makes on sites would make your hair curl, even in todays H&S climate. The comment about the burning drill into a bucket of water IS realistic.

Jestertheclown
19 Oct 2011 - 2:47 PM

Quote: Why did it used to be so dangerous Bren?

When I was an apprentice the college I attended took us all on a tour of the Bowater-Scott plant somewhere near Dover. That was in about 1970.
When we got there we were given strict instructions that we should go nowhere near any of the machinery as it was so potentially dangerous that a loose cuff or scarf might be enough to see you dragged between a set of enormous rollers.
Without giving you a lesson in papermaking, I'll suffice to say that the woodpaste or "mulch" started at one end of the building and was passed through lots of sets of rollers which gradually squeezed out all of the water leaving (something like) paper at the other end.
It's not quite that straightforward, as I dare say you know but what would happen was that the "strip" of mulch/paper kept breaking and some foolhardy soul would have to climb out onto the machine and feed the break back in by hand.
Unsurprisingly, it wasn't that unusual for the foolhardy soul to get fed in with it.
The guide took great delight in showing us some photographs of the aftermath and reeled off a list of stats regarding the annual number of deaths and serious injuries, mostly lost limbs that occured in the industry. According to him, at that time, it as the most dangerous industry there was.
It can't possibly be like that nowadays and that dubious title has obviously moved on but watching those machines in action, it was easy to see how easily acidents could occur.

AlexandraSD
19 Oct 2011 - 2:48 PM

Very small school, for midgets and leprechauns Smile

IMO, if someone is stupid enough to put a burning electrical appliance in water then they deserve to have their eye brows singed off!

Jestertheclown
19 Oct 2011 - 2:54 PM

Quote: testing how hot the water is by dipping a finger into the boiling water.

. . . back to my appernticeship and the college that I attended.

We were apprentice compositors, part of which inbvolved setting type using molten lead.
This lead was stored, molten, in an open pot on the back of the machines. Each of them, whatever their exact function, had one.
One day, one of the lads said to the dopey one (there's one in every class). "Is that metal hot yet Trev?
Trev, I told you he was the dopey one, tested it by sticking his right index finger into it.
As you can imagine, he took it back out pretty quickly but there wasn't much left of it.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 19 Oct 2011 - 2:54 PM
AlexandraSD
19 Oct 2011 - 3:06 PM

When i left school in 89, 8 months early, i walked into a job at a local injection moulding company, initially as a machine minder, then as polymer mixer/regrinder, and later as a tool fitter, even though i had no desire to be an engineer or mechanic.

We didnt wear steel toe capped boots, i used to wear my Fila trainers to work, t-shirt and shorts (Bermuda shorts, they was trendy once lol) I never once dropped any tools on my feet, though id often burn myself on the injection nozzles occasionally, but that was part of the job, we got on with it. Many times i went home with huge burns on my hands and fingers, blisters which now would warrant at least a week off work.

I was not even formally trained, i just watched the tool fitters do their thing and took it in, helping out occasionally, until i felt confident enough to do it myself.

There is no way a school leaver can do that now, no way in hell, and times were pretty bad in 89, very grim, but their tougher now, and all these rules and regulations have done nothing but turn us into a nation of scardy cats, out of work and out of hope.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45766 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2011 - 3:09 PM

And so were born the 'Darwin awards'.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  2722 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Oct 2011 - 3:09 PM

Quote: Very small school, for midgets and leprechauns Smile

IMO, if someone is stupid enough to put a burning electrical appliance in water then they deserve to have their eye brows singed off!

Speaking of schools and stupidity...

I work in a school. If you saw what I see you would despair. Parents with no aspirations for their kids who, of course, have no aspirations either. Probably spent their early years in front of the telly and never even saw a book until they went to school. Bright enough, some of them, but disaffected when they can be bothered to turn up. More heartbreaking are the kids who are, to put it bluntly, dimmer than a five watt bulb. Often the sweetest kids in the school, who behave well and try the hardest they possibly can. You know that the best they will be able to manage is a cleaning job somewhere -- if they are lucky -- but still they have to follow a curriculum that is just not appropriate for them. Then you have the Austistic Spectrum Disorder children. Again, not their fault for being the way they are, but often disruptive in class and affecting the learning of the others in class. Some of them will never be able to get a job. In the old days they would have been in special schools, but they have mostly been closed down. So, before condemning people for stupidity please consider that it might not always be their fault.

Last Modified By oldblokeh at 19 Oct 2011 - 3:10 PM
AlexandraSD
19 Oct 2011 - 3:18 PM

Im not poking fun at those with severe learning difficulties, im poking fun at morons who proclaim to be intelligent then go and do something utterly foolish and get hurt just cos they want to cut corners and save time, big difference.

AlexandraSD
19 Oct 2011 - 3:26 PM

The bottom line is we all take risks, in fact we are continually doing risk assessment in every waking hour of our lives, and the dangers are quite obvious? Tell me if im wrong, but placing an electrical appliance in water is pretty obvious in my book, and incredibly stupid, its like jumping into the path of a lorry to escape a reliant robin. DoH!

User_Removed
19 Oct 2011 - 3:27 PM

Quote: A school caretaker who was injured falling off a six-foot stepladder is suing his employer for 50,000 claiming he was not trained how to use it properly.

What is so annoying is that some greedy solicitor probably put him up to that and they see schools and councils as easy prey.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Oct 2011 - 3:40 PM

Possibly but who knows, talking of solicitors I somehow feel that the Dale Farm compensation bid might be next... Sad

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 19 Oct 2011 - 3:42 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.