Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Has the law changed or have we changed?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Oct 2011 - 11:56 AM

Quote: Where we you when we were doing the fish puns, Jas? (Or is that a little too close to home Mr S?

Did all them on here about 6 or 7 years ago, CB! Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Oct 2011 - 11:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022905 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
20 Oct 2011 - 12:02 PM

That was a hake of a long time ago

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
20 Oct 2011 - 12:08 PM

Quote: Where we you when we were doing the fish puns, Jas? (Or is that a little too close to home Mr S? Wink)

someone once told me to cod off or it might have been sod he was eating chips at the time!

pabloisme
20 Oct 2011 - 12:10 PM

Quote: Did all them on here about 6 or 7 years ago, CB! Smile

thought goldfish had memory spans of 60 secs

what were we talking abaaat?

loweskid
loweskid  132042 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
20 Oct 2011 - 1:44 PM

At the risk of getting back on topic....

Quote: Also schools are famous for stories of banning conker fights on the grounds of HS

The conker myth - http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/september.htm

"Myth: there are now more regulations and red tape than ever.
Truth: there were more than twice as many health and safety regulations and laws 35 years ago than there are today. The legislation that remains is now generally simpler and easier to understand."

Source - http://www.tuc.org.uk/workplace/tuc-12559-f0.cfm

pabloisme
20 Oct 2011 - 2:13 PM

Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms/etc. Chairperson, a point of order:

Quote: At the risk of getting back on topic....

but in the old days you just did the job, no "faffng" about.

the "I was supplied with the wrong ladder" (a crap, insulting, ambulance chaser, solicitor's TV ad )

cos you secured the blinking thing properly, because you learnt from the old boys NO?

we dont train anybody now so the point is invalid!

and conkers could be used instead of serious weapons,

and just to really get off topic the hoary old ban hand guns did well did it not?

NOW ONLY OUTLAWS HAVE GUNS!

ps Grin

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3782 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Oct 2011 - 2:22 PM

Quote:
but in the old days you just did the job, no "faffng" about.

the "I was supplied with the wrong ladder" (a crap, insulting, ambulance chaser, solicitor's TV ad )

cos you secured the blinking thing properly, because you learnt from the old boys NO?

we dont train anybody now so the point is invalid!

ps Grin

In the old days you were a damn sight more likely to be killed or injured:

For injuries, between 1974 and 2010:
the number of fatal injuries to employees fell by 84%;
the rate of fatal injury (per 100 000 employees) fell by 83%;
the number of reported non-fatal injuries fell by 75%;

Still want to go back to the old days? I don't. I remember was it was like working in a chemical plant back in 1974. I'm really glad things have improved.

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 Oct 2011 - 3:16 PM

Quote: Also schools are famous for stories of banning conker fights on the grounds of HS

The conker myth - http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/september.htm

Apparently the head teacher at that school had had H&S inspection at his school and he was frustrated with their edicts. So he ordered the kids to wear safety goggles to illustrate how you could turn good legislation to ridiculous extremes then he called the press to publicise his stunt.

brrttpaul
brrttpaul  3203 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Oct 2011 - 5:04 PM

the number of employes fell by 84% also though lol. On a serious note you are talking when factories were at full capacity there were mines, docks steelworks etc. we had hoovers that employed 5000 people in merthyr in 74 doubt theres 30 working there now, and then theres god knows how many that worked in the mines, so yes i still want to look at the old days.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
20 Oct 2011 - 5:08 PM

That world has gone, and its not bad news that. By all means we could go back to the old days, and wages will go down further and the cost of goods up and people will have shorter lives, well the workers will. Perhaps that is what is going to happen when the economy sorts itself out. Its not an attractive vision.

Last Modified By strawman at 20 Oct 2011 - 5:09 PM
tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85908 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
27 Oct 2011 - 8:27 PM

Quote: as far as im concearned the cscs card is nothing more than a scam

The idea of it, is to prove that you are safe to be let loose on a construction site & know the basic rules.
It is not just your well being that is in question, it is also that of your fellow workers.

Under 18 year old workers, without a Young persons risk assessment, are the same.
They do not know the basic rules & why should they.
Providing it is all correctly implemented, then they too, can work on all major construction sites (This by the way, is the law)

Quote: if you dont do it then down the road you go, an i have worked for all the major house builders an they all the same

On this I would agree.
They all (house builders) preach a good H & S standard, but very rarely adhere to it.

They let the industry down

pabloisme
28 Oct 2011 - 8:05 AM

you are 100% rite brrttpaul: but few see it!

hold on we are all talking about factories and people working in job's JOB's WE DONT DO THAT NOW do we?
for a NOW welcoming 48 hours a week graft! (god that was a shock when you were 15!)

now for most its 16 hours a week, in a supermarket or similar...........

and for the rest of us muppets who have learnt new skills, it's 70+ tied to work by new comms, (even when you are on holiday!) email on the phone, laptops, VPN conference meetings argggggh

god bring back the good old days!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.