Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Have 430, 580?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Mozzytheboy
    Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jan 2013 - 10:38 AM

I have a Canon 430 flash which seems to work very well indeed. Now I can use in manually and with a bulb or Gary Fong thing in place it really does do what it says. I've been thinking though (I know it hurts), what if I kept it as a slave and got a 580 II flash. They seem pricey but reports seem amazing. On the same vein I see a Yongnuo YN565EX YN-565EX Flash Speedlite which is allegedly supposed to do same as 580, but for just 99. Can't see how personally.

Anyway, as an enthused hobbyist who is trying really really hard to improve, am I potentially wasting my money on a 580? I use it when low light conditions favour a flash and when visiting Bonsai exhibitions to simply take shots of displayed trees etc.

I won't be in the slightest bit offended if you say the 580 would be beyond me. I figured though you would give me a direct answerSmile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Jan 2013 - 10:38 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk
    puertouk  21063 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jan 2013 - 1:38 PM

I have the 580 and its a excellent pro flash, highly recommended
    Stephen

RoyBoy
    RoyBoy  9168 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jan 2013 - 1:45 PM

Hi Mike

I have three Canon flash guns (including two 580's) plus a Canon compatible flashgun that I bought from Jessops. The Jessops job does not work with my TT5 pocket wizards and does not have the same functionality or quality as the Canon makes.

Based on this, my recommendation would be to keep the 430 and get the Canon 580. You can do some amazing things with remote flash and radio triggers. I also have some simple radio triggers bought from Calumet. (about 55 for a pair - one transmitter and one receiver). They are more compact than the Pocket Wizards (although they don't have TTL and the PW's other functions) and therefore always in my camera bag.

Happy New Year
    Roy

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.