Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Have Apple lost the plot?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
16 Dec 2012 - 11:45 AM

Was in PC World earlier and everyone was playing with the new Windows 8 touchscreen laptops. Macbooks were being totally ignored, some interest in the iPad Mini.

Have to say that Windows 8 on a touchscreen is fantastic. Sony, HP and others have fab ultrabooks that convert to work like tablets. Because you're running full-fat Windows you're not just resticted to apps, you can use all of your proper software.

Apple have two operating systems on the go, iOS and OSX. They don't seem to have any touchscreen laptops. Can't help feeling they've missed a trick. Things like Sony's Vaio Duo are outAppling Apple and you can use the same interface on your phone, tablet, laptop and desktop.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Dec 2012 - 11:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72270 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 11:53 AM

I never bought into apple product overpricing.... I mean lifestyle Wink

paulcookphotography

I'm not sure they have lost the plot as such, but may be missing out on a share of a certain market

The MacBooks are great, but they are expensive and for most, i wouldnt think it would be on their Christmas shopping list. Whereas a Windows 8 laptop is a lot cheaper and more accessible. Similarly, An iPad or other tablet isnt 'too' expensive and i'm sure there will be plenty of them under the christmas tree (i know a couple of trees at least, haha).

Apple have and always will have a strong fan base, and i would think that a 'budget' aimed laptop would be a great seller in their range

User_Removed
16 Dec 2012 - 12:02 PM

@ arhb That's always been my bugbear with Apple, overpriced, undersupported (help and software) and completely take the p with repair and upgrade pricing. Always liked a lot of their ideas but not the price. This is a hands on with the Sony Vaio Duo. You really need to see it for yourself. The screen is beautiful, full HD, you can write on it and it's like using a fine pencil. The way the keyboard is revealed is brilliant.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 16 Dec 2012 - 12:03 PM
User_Removed
16 Dec 2012 - 12:08 PM

@paul. The trick I think Apple are missing is you can't use OSX on a tablet or on a phone, seems you can't use OSX with touch. Microsoft have outmanoeuvred them somewhat. Look at the likes of the Vaio Duo and the HP Envy, and these are just the first wave of Windows 8 touchscreen laptops.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014137 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 12:14 PM

Quote: Macbooks were being totally ignored

Not surprised, they are a bit fugly.

Quote: Because you're running full-fat Windows you're not just resticted to apps, you can use all of your proper software.

But switching from one to the other is a slightly jarring experience, to me it feels like 2 seperate OSs, or windows 7 with an option to switch to a second OS

Quote:
Apple have two operating systems on the go, iOS and OSX.

MS have effectively managed to merge the two into one but I think most people will fall into either being touchscreen users who use the new stuff or desktop users who use the old stuff.
For example the mail client in Windows 8 is not that feature rich, if you want the power then you have to use something like thunderbird then switching between the two becomes somewhat awkward.
Its not insurmountable but it is not the slickest experience in the world.

Quote: They don't seem to have any touchscreen laptops. Can't help feeling they've missed a trick.

They will simply say that no one wants a touchscreen mac...till they release one Wink

Quote: you can use the same interface on your phone, tablet, laptop and desktop.

Well you will be able to when there are more apps about...but I am not convinced by the whole "App" paradigm for desktop users. I usually have at least 5 programs open on my PC, often those programs are looking at the same folders and files and I often flick from one to the other. The "full-screen and switch" design of apps and the way the data is often siloed and inaccesible would make life much more difficult to me.

Having said that the native apps on Windows 8 are really lovely looking bits of design and make you want to use them.

robthecamman
16 Dec 2012 - 12:22 PM

pays your money makes your choice

User_Removed
16 Dec 2012 - 12:25 PM

Quote: Pays your money makes your choice

No. Other way round. You makes your choice and Apple takes your money. (a huge lot of it).

Wink

stevew10000
stevew10000 e2 Member 261 forum postsstevew10000 vcard United Kingdom
16 Dec 2012 - 12:25 PM

possibly because most people who go into PC World are looking for MS machines, rather than Apple products.

I understand that Chris, and others, have a strong dislike of all things Apple. I don't. But nor do I have a dislike of Microsoft, i have to use it work, choose to use Apple at home.

paulcookphotography

Quote: @paul. The trick I think Apple are missing is you can't use OSX on a tablet or on a phone, seems you can't use OSX with touch. Microsoft have outmanoeuvred them somewhat. Look at the likes of the Vaio Duo and the HP Envy, and these are just the first wave of Windows 8 touchscreen laptops.

I know what you mean, but at the same time i use a Windows 8 laptop and PC (not touchscreen), and an iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch (all on IOS6), and an Android phone as a back-up and can have them intergrated pretty well. I dont think (most) people really need to have one operating system running across all their devices these days. They are all simple enough to use and most decent apps and software are available multi-platform

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7557 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
16 Dec 2012 - 12:31 PM

I'm a Mac fan but would agree that Windows 8 is a big improvement on previous versions (tho' my other half says 7 is pretty good and she's a pro user of PC's so I'll take her word for it). However I think ergonomically using a touch screen on a laptop feels very awkward, and on a desktop it's virtually impossible. That's why Apple have resisted going down that road and kept it for tablets, iPhones etc. They did consider it at least 2 years ago then rejected it for ergonomic reasons, always a big consideration for Apple.

robthecamman
16 Dec 2012 - 12:33 PM

same old discussion not worth time or energy Smile

User_Removed
16 Dec 2012 - 12:35 PM

Possibly because the MS machines are the ones with the wow factor now?

I don't dislike all things Apple. My favourite gadget in my ePz profile was iPhone for many years from when I got hold of one the first AT&T ones that someone was grey importing. Before that I was wowed by the first iPod I saw in 2002.

I do dislike Apple's approach, which is more like Bang and Olufsen. Glossy design is above usability or performance on the agenda, sell it in your own shops without competing products in those shops. Sell it at mega prices and people will think, like the Emperor's new clothes that must be good if it's sooo expensive.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014137 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 12:40 PM

Quote: They did consider it at least 2 years ago then rejected it for ergonomic reasons, always a big consideration for Apple.

I don't get that, if they have a touch screen there is nothing forcing you to use it but you could use it when you want.
I can't see that a touchscreen laptop would be harder to use than an iPad providing the OS supported it correctly.

As for desktops I have lost count of the number of "wish this was a touch screen" conversations we have had about desktops at work.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
16 Dec 2012 - 12:43 PM

Am I the only one who can't see the purpose of have a touchscreen laptop?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.