Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Have Apple lost the plot?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
16 Dec 2012 - 12:47 PM

"I think ergonomically using a touch screen on a laptop feels very awkward, and on a desktop it's virtually impossible"

You need to go try it, reaching out your hand to swipe backwards and forwards between web pages or photos feels very natural and intuitive compared to mouse or trackpad.

Virtually impossible? Go and touch your screen, how hard was that? Pinch to zoom? Easy? And there's nothing to stop you from using your mouse and keyboard, so nice to have the choice Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Dec 2012 - 12:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72329 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 2:00 PM

Touch screens are the way ahead, although having just invested in a quality screen, I would prefer a special glove(s) to stop it from getting covered in greasy smears and prints.

User_Removed
16 Dec 2012 - 2:17 PM

Quote: Am I the only one who can't see the purpose of have a touchscreen laptop?

No. Me too. In fact, I can't see the purpose in having any laptop. I have my big beefy desktop with its two 27" HD monitors at home for my photographic processing and an iPhone for checking my e-mails or web while away from home. My wife, on the other hand, has an iPhone, an iPad, a Macbook Air and a Kindle (as well as her desktop PC). So I guess it is all down to personal preferences.

sparrowhawk
sparrowhawk e2 Member 5268 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 2:22 PM

tried touchscreens on pcs and don't like em either give me a mac anyday much better than anything windows could ever produce

User_Removed
16 Dec 2012 - 2:24 PM

Quote: Tried touchscreens on pcs and don't like em either give me a mac anyday much better than anything windows could ever produce

ROFL (just learned that one).

Jestertheclown
16 Dec 2012 - 2:25 PM

Quote: Touch screens are the way ahead, although having just invested in a quality screen, I would prefer a special glove(s) to stop it from getting covered in greasy smears and prints.

I can see your point but gloves to use your computer?
Would you (or anyone) really bother?

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7576 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
16 Dec 2012 - 2:29 PM

Sorry, I have to disagree with the touch-screen 'boosters' here. Have a t/s desktop such as an iMac or any PC and you have to reach up or across to it. It will be great at first but see how long it takes for your elbow or shoulder to start screaming in protest at the awkward angle and the need for a much wider motion simply because the screen is bigger (I know because I tried a demo device for about an hour a couple of years ago, my arm gave up after 20mins).
We want to look at our photos on larger screens which is why many of us use desktops but that's a disadvantage in a touch-screen situation. If the screen was on your knee (a la Wacom Cintiq tablet) it might be easier but that's just not feasible with a desktop. That's why Apple realised that the ergonomics didn't work on larger devices and didn't pursue it. I will concede that a hybrid screen may be an option in the future but imagine the cost of a touch-screen 20" monitor, it would be beyond the financial reach of most of us.

I use a Wacom tablet with my iMac for everything, not just graphics/photo work and I never have RSI and it's much quicker than a mouse.

User_Removed
16 Dec 2012 - 2:35 PM

Quote: but imagine the cost of a touch-screen 20" monitor, it would be beyond the financial reach of most of us.

I don't think you know what you are talking about.

16-12-2012-14-33-41.jpg

Last Modified By User_Removed at 16 Dec 2012 - 2:35 PM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72329 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 2:35 PM

Quote: Touch screens are the way ahead, although having just invested in a quality screen, I would prefer a special glove(s) to stop it from getting covered in greasy smears and prints.

I can see your point but gloves to use your computer?
Would you (or anyone) really bother?

Skintight latex gloves Jester - you wouldn't know they were there Smile
Alternatively, some kind of sensor that recognizes when your fingers are close to screen(without gloves ).

User_Removed
16 Dec 2012 - 2:37 PM

Fingermarks are such a problem that it's mean the iPhone, iPad etc have been a big flop Wink

paulcookphotography

Personally, I use a Wacom tablet with my PCM and laptop. Much more sensitive and accurate than using a mouse, and much more comfortable than using a touchscreen.

For my touchscreen devices I have screen protectors to keep any dirt and grime out. Not quite as simple to do that on a monitor or laptop

User_Removed
16 Dec 2012 - 3:06 PM

Quote: T

Skintight latex gloves Jester - you wouldn't know they were there .

Lubricated for sensitivity and ribbed for her pleasure.

Wink

redhed17
redhed17  8663 forum posts England
16 Dec 2012 - 3:43 PM

Touch screens may be the latest fad, and indeed are the future for many devices, but for a desktop PC, and to some degree laptops, I don't think they work. I have a friend who has had a touch screen for about two years and doesn't use it, and indeed doesn't like anyone touching the screen because of the finger marks. She has an iPhone and iPad though, so is not 'anti' touch screen. They are used for different things.

The screen on my desktop is 2-3 feet away, and most peoples screen are at, or beyond arms length, so a touch screen would be useless imho. Ah!, you say but you don't have to use it, like my friend, which is obviously correct, but as far as PCs and Win 8 are concerned, they had ruined the OS to cater for touch screens. From the limited play I have had with a Win 8 machine, and trying to use it as a traditional mouse and keyboard OS, it is terrible. I occasionally teach IT to beginners and the vast majority will have no clue with Win 8. If I find it confusing, then most beginners have no chance imho.

I think Apple have the same thoughts, keep the touch devices separate from the more powerful computers with the more capable OS able to run more powerful programs. And once people have bought into their Apple family, they are more likely to buy other Apple products for the integration, and yes, it has to be said for style/design/snob value. Wink M$ may want this as well, but they would just be selling an OS on other companies devices (for the most part), and they are paying catch up, and they are not just up against Apple with touch devices, but also Android devices too.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 5:24 PM

LOL...Grin

Nice one Chris, We needed a little entertainment on a dull Sunday afternoon....Smile

Glad to see the misinformed/Misguided Mac users diving in with their usual nonsense.......Tongue

On the touchy feely thing, Small screens and phones, Touchscreen OK, BUT take a 30 inch Dell display, To be able to see it properly it needs to be around three feet from your nose, Somewhere around the back of most standard desks at least, Next start waving your arms around the screen for, Lets say 35 minutes continuously whilst editing a few images.....!!!

The first thing you will notice is your arms start to get heavy, The second thing you'll find is accuracy becomes a thing of the past, Especially when trying to locate a single pixel, Something else that starts to infuriate, Trying to clone out non existent dust bunnies ( Or if you pick your nose Boggies ) That are welded to the display screen.....!!!!

No screw that, For serious computer work on a decent sized display, Its still down to mice & keyboards, The whole touchy thing will keep the toys R us brigade happy, For a while at least.

Will Apple catch up...? Maybe once they get over their shares going down the pan recently.....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 16 Dec 2012 - 5:26 PM
sparrowhawk
sparrowhawk e2 Member 5268 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Dec 2012 - 5:32 PM

they don't need to catch up there way ahead of the market ! superb quality and usability in every aspect rather than pc frozen pages viruses and other nonses that you are plagued with when you use a windows based pc

Last Modified By sparrowhawk at 16 Dec 2012 - 5:38 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.