Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Have eBay Finally Lost the Plot?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
27 Mar 2008 - 10:48 AM

Hot on the heals of massive fee hikes, and the removal of a sellers right to leave a buyer negative feedback the undead who run Ebay UK, have come up with yet more crap to "improve" its customer experience.

1.) All bidders ID's are to be hidden. This is stage 2 of this particular scheme. Stage 1 introduced this for bids over 100, it is now going to apply to all auctions, so dodgy sellers are totally free to shill bid their own auctions.

2) If you have less than 100 feedback, and a buyer pays with PP, Paypal may hold onto you payment until either the buyer leaves FB or 21 days pass without a complaint being raised.

3) Sellers are now forced to offer PayPal on all auctions, including those that are for pick up only. This despite the fact that PP will automatically refund a buyer who claims item not received because the seller needs to prove the buyer has got his item by providing on line tracking, which of cause he can't do because the buyer took it away in the back of his car.

When this concern was raised with the moron who is head of trust and safety he tried to reassure us that this type of scam was so rare we need not worry about it. Of cause its rare because at the moment we are not stupid enough to take PP when an item is collected.

He also rambles on about we must offer protection to all buyers for all purchases, ignoring the fact that a buyer does not need protection from non-delivery on a collected item.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Mar 2008 - 10:48 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

conrad
conrad  1010874 forum posts116 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2008 - 10:53 AM

Quote: Sellers are now forced to offer PayPal on all auctions, including those that are for pick up only. This despite the fact that PP will automatically refund a buyer who claims item not received because the seller needs to prove the buyer has got his item by providing on line tracking, which of cause he can't do because the buyer took it away in the back of his car.

How about letting a buyer who picks up the goods himself sign a confirmation of receipt of those goods?

Or in future refusing to let people pick it up themselves, this development might force you to leave out that option from now on.

cambirder
27 Mar 2008 - 10:58 AM

Does not work conrad, the only proof PP accept is on line tracking.

PayPal themselves advise against taking PP payments for collected items sold on Ebay, but the parent company (Ebay) don't seem to think its an issue, although there is no buyer protection on Ebay motors so it obviously is.

cambirder
27 Mar 2008 - 11:02 AM

This is a Ebay UK issue, but it likely to spread to other countries, although I think countries like Germany are safe because nearly everyone currently uses bank transfer for all transactions.

BigCol
BigCol e2 Member 131835 forum postsBigCol vcard Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2008 - 11:09 AM

I recently won an auction on ebay for some timber the seller lived just the other side of Miltone Keynes to me so I went and collected it.
I won the auction with a bid of 2.40 (ish) no way I was going to pay by paypal for that!
Ebay is starting to get rediculous (did I say starting?!) and I'm rapidly losing interest in using it. Back to the car boot sales I think, at least with them you can see the dodgy ones a mile off! Wink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014778 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2008 - 11:09 AM

Annoys me when I live near a seller and they won't allow me to go pick up. Usually only businesses of course, and they claim they're not insured to have people coming and picking up stuff.

What they really mean is that they make a killing on over-charging for the postage!

conrad
27 Mar 2008 - 11:10 AM

Quote: I think countries like Germany are safe because nearly everyone currently uses bank transfer for all transactions

That's how it usually works in my country as well, although the use of PayPal is beginning to spread more widely as of late.

Is this thing you mention recent? I only sold something on ebay.co.uk a few weeks ago and saw nothing of this.

Last Modified By conrad at 27 Mar 2008 - 11:11 AM
sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
27 Mar 2008 - 11:18 AM

What scares me about both organsations at the moment is that after a recent purchase that turned out to be stolen property, a Sigma lens, both ebay and paypal have continued to let the seller trade using both there services.

conrad
27 Mar 2008 - 11:21 AM

That should be enough reason to report it to the police, though, shouldn't it?

cambirder
27 Mar 2008 - 11:25 AM

Quote: Is this thing you mention recent?

Announced this week, comes into full operation sometime during April.

sidaorb
27 Mar 2008 - 11:26 AM

Has been and currently under investgation by two forces, the one dealing with the fraud/handling and that dealing with the original theft from Sigma.

crazycucumber
27 Mar 2008 - 11:48 AM

Ebay have stitched me up on a number of occasions .
The only way to beat ebay is not to use them , there are other auction sites now gaining favour over recent ebay changes. But it will only work if there is a mass exodus. There are probably changing there charging structure to pay for the massive mistake when they bought Skype.

cambirder
27 Mar 2008 - 12:04 PM

Quote: But it will only work if there is a mass exodus.

True, the problem is although sellers have incentive to move buyers don't and Ebay has masses more buyers than anywhere else, so thats where the best prices are.

I am currently holding back on putting my 70-200mm f4L up for sale and am considering trying another site, but will probable stick with Ebay, but change from my normal auction format, and switch to a BIN sale.

sidaorb
27 Mar 2008 - 12:49 PM

As if by magic another scam this morning. Just sold my final item ever to be listed on ebay.... and low and behold they want the item sent to there step-daughter in Lagos !!.... for me the funniest thing is the email sent with it saying he cant have it sent to his UK address as he is a police inspector and has had to goto to investigate a case in the US......just emailed him back asking him which station he is based at and his shoulder number Wink

admiles
admiles  8241 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Mar 2008 - 12:49 PM

From a buyers point of view, there are two main problems with using a bank transfer for payment, as is common in Europe.
a) very expensive in bank charges and b) you have no protection if the goods turn out to be not as described or don't turn up at all.

In that respect Paypal is good(ish) as you have some chance of getting your money back.

Cambirder: Good job your Canon 50mm F1.8 you sold me turned out to be fine! Smile No need to send the heavies round!

Anthony

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.