Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Have I crossed the line?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

studioline
28 Jul 2010 - 10:15 AM

I have tried to increase my scope of photography and have dramatically changed my style. In the last few shoots I have moved from the usual studio work to outdoor shoots involving a greater degree of photoshopping. The last two shoots have been work on conceptual horror but wondering whether there has been such a dramatic change in the quality of my work to go down from 30 plus votes to single numbers. Are the photographs not that good anymore or is it the subject matter not as enticing?
Any thoughts welcome good or bad.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jul 2010 - 10:15 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
justin c  104526 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2010 - 10:24 AM

Why on earth do you base the quality of your work on how many votes an image gets?
It gets discussed weekly. If you type click into the search box, all will be revealed and you'll have enough info to read through to keep you busy for a lifetime.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2010 - 10:38 AM

Looking at the last two they don't stand out at thumbnail level so many will not have opened to view the larger version. You should be able to check percentages compared with your earlier brighter stuff.
There seems to be a lack of detail to probably done to the size and compression. working in dark tones is difficult because not everyone will have their monitor correctly balanced, and this will mean some will so a huge amount of dark with a few areas of light where skin tones are. Also horror vs glamour is no comparison in likes stakes. If this were a goth site I'm sure they'd do better. Hope that gives you a few ideas.

As Justin says don't worry about the votes...keep uploading what you enjoy doing. It will encourage others to do the same - it's good to be diverse.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014812 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2010 - 11:08 AM

look at it this way...

stuff that everyone's doing gets lots of votes

if you're not getting lots of votes, then you're ploughing your own furrow Wink

its not such a bad thing if you think of it in those terms

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
studioline
28 Jul 2010 - 11:56 AM

Pete. I have been researching brighter versus darker and indeed my research shows that the brigher stuff seems to be more appreciated. Glamour versus horror- glamour wins everytime however what I find about glamour is that the votes mount up even if it is not a great photo (my photos included).
In this pic the detail has been blurred in areas to give a sense of movement but I will take that into consideration as I think sharp always is a winner. Certainly I notice that the hair cannot be seen on some monitors and hence this is evidently an issue with pushing the limits on tones.

studioline
28 Jul 2010 - 11:58 AM

Quote: Look at it this way...

its not such a bad thing if you think of it in those terms

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I was thinking the same as you today. I do enjoy this genre as it gives me more scope to do fantastic work whilst hiding my poor photoshopping skills in dark tones.
I am going to try a fairy style shoot or a super human shoot to see how that goes.

studioline
28 Jul 2010 - 11:59 AM

maybe also the thumbnails need to be bigger.

User_Removed
28 Jul 2010 - 12:21 PM

quite profound that Ade, i will surely quote you for that one

studioline
28 Jul 2010 - 12:47 PM

quite profound that Ade, i will surely quote you for that one

The furrow is deep!

rossd
rossd  111061 forum posts England
28 Jul 2010 - 8:59 PM

Quote: Why on earth do you base the quality of your work on how many votes an image gets?

So what exactly do you base the quality of your work on ??

Also, how come it's generally the members with lots of votes and awards who advise others that votes don't really matter?

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2010 - 9:18 PM

Quote: Why on earth do you base the quality of your work on how many votes an image gets?

So what exactly do you base the quality of your work on ??

Also, how come it's generally the members with lots of votes and awards who advise others that votes don't really matter?

Because they are not a reflection of the standard of the image. The number of votes is based on too many other factors to be relied upon. Time of upload, as stated for the OP the pulling-power of the thumbnail, genre, etc. Then there are the other criteria, how many images have you voted/commented on recently, how many members have you met recently, and so on and so on.

Black and white normally scores lower, wouldn't matter if it were the best pic ever taken, a lot of the viewers expect colour and probably don't even bother to view full-size B&W images.

Looking at the last two images I would say that the thumbnail will explain the lack of viewers, which will result in a decreased number of votes. Even with my recent uploads you can see the thumbnail effect, bird with golden coloured background = more votes than bird in more action pose but greenish background.

Not sure what you can do except create a thread, which wouldn't be subtle on day to day basis Wink Find like minded photographers on here and comment on their pics which may prompt them to look at yours or you could lighten the images a bit, or as you are e2 post a bright image and then post this style in the variations asking for comments. That way you can trick people in to looking. I can loan you a kingfisher shot to pass the thumbnail test Wink

Jestertheclown
28 Jul 2010 - 9:47 PM

I don't vote at all and haven't done since this daft up/down business began and I don't think it's made a scrap of difference to the number of votes I receive.
Instead I might make a comment if I think an image warrants some kind of recognition or perhaps an indication of how I think the image might be improved.
Athough that's not always popular, the site is full of people who's work simply cannot be improved upon, or so they think.
Recently, I've started using the Critique gallery and posting what I hope is useful feedback in there and the positivity of the responses I'm receiving, in the gallery and by pm. far outweighs a few pointless votes.

Jester.

javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jul 2010 - 10:13 PM

Quote: Although that's not always popular, the site is full of people who's work simply cannot be improved upon, or so they think.

I think you will find it is full of people who do not warm to critique from people who don't demonstrate any knowledge of the subject or photographer they are critiquing or particularly high technical competence in their own portfolio. I think most people on here are fine with critique (and those that don't want it can mark their photo such).

Where you go wrong (or at least went in my case) is that you believe photoshop is a magic wand that should be applied irrespective of how realistic looking the result is.

Bringing this back to the OPs original question, if you are happy with them that is all that matters and do not take 'death by thumbnail' as an indication that the image is bad. Very dark does not work on here often and that is a limitation of the medium not the audience or the potential appeal of a the same image printed out and hung on a wall.

The flip side is that there are indeed subjects that do well on here, but some of my most voted on shots are over saturated sunset landscape shots and naked shots of my wife which i am objective enough to realise are far from my best work.

If you want votes, post what the majority like, if you want to make yourself happy and explore your own style accept that it may be of limited appeal however well it is executed.

User_Removed
28 Jul 2010 - 10:22 PM

Quote:

I think you will find it is full of people who do not warm to critique from people who don't demonstrate any knowledge of the subject or photographer they are critiquing or particularly high technical competence in their own portfolio. I think most people on here are fine with critique (and those that don't want it can mark their photo such).

Bingo Neil, you have just hit the nail on the head, and put it far better and more succinctly than i could

Jestertheclown
28 Jul 2010 - 10:50 PM

Strange, but I don't remember mentioning anyone by name. My comment was a generalisation,.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.