Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Have you ever been skip ratted ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Kool_Kat
    Kool_Kat e2 Member 8141 forum postsKool_Kat vcard United Kingdom
    10 Jun 2009 - 12:41 PM

We cleared out the loft this weekend getting rid of loads of toys/old records ect & rubbish ( mostly rubbish) rest went to charity shops ect we had some old suitcases which were skipped rang the skip company to collect it Monday no one came it has rained on the skip everything was soaking then last night some time WE WERE SKIP RATTED they had been through the skip opened the suitcase swhich we had packed with junk and thrown it all over the place they must have been around outside for ages we have four dogs who sleep with us in baskets and we never heard a thing YOU HAVE GOT TO LAUGH
    KATH

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Jun 2009 - 12:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    10 Jun 2009 - 12:48 PM

Could have been worse Smile

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2009 - 12:48 PM

In the US going through skips (not destructively) is almost a national pastime. Our friends regularly go 'dumpster diving' and have found all sorts of good stuff, including a piano accordion, fully working and in excellent condition.

Over here we've never been skip ratted, but we have had our skip filled overnight with other people's rubbish.

Ian

BubbaG2000
    10 Jun 2009 - 1:34 PM

When it comes to bulk pickup day, everyone in Glasgow leaves their stuff out on the pavements awaiting pickup. A few choice members of society regulary see what they can salvage. Fair play to them. One man's garbage etc...

Leaving a huge mess behind though is not on!!

pcheywood
    pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
    10 Jun 2009 - 1:39 PM

Quote:

Over here we've never been skip ratted, but we have had our skip filled overnight with other people's rubbish.

Ian

That's about the size of it round here also, though it wasn't just overnight, but in the half hour it took me to nip to the shops.

Paul.

MikeA
    MikeA  91153 forum posts England
    10 Jun 2009 - 1:47 PM

Quote: we have four dogs who sleep with us in baskets

Got rid of the beds as well then Wink

jimthistle73
    10 Jun 2009 - 2:03 PM

My dad is an inveterate skip raker. He literally cannot pass a skip without getting out of the car (no matter who's in it) and spending five minutes rummaging, usually emerging with a bit of timber or somesuch, now destined to lie around his garden for eternity.

Once, memorably for all concerned, he dropped of his ex wife at her clinic (she's a Chinese medicine practitioner) and then made a bee line for the skip over the road. With a gleeful shout, he climbed out of the skip with a manky looking chandelier, nearly knocking over a certain member of the aristocracy (who will remain nameless, but you will have heard of her), who was going to the clinic for her accupuncture session.

Just about the only time I've seen my dad having the good grace to look embarrassed.

Fishnet
    Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2009 - 2:11 PM

I heard on the radio the other day that taking stuff from skips is actually illegal, you have to ask permission of the rubbish owner first.

I've never had a skip but I wouldn't say no to a good rummage.

JBA
    JBA  5341 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2009 - 4:01 PM

It's criminal what some people throw away! Skips are great. Me and a mate liberated an old wardrobe from a skip many moons ago in London, we carried it home and when we opened the door a cat shot out. . . Don't know how it came to in there but that was proof that skip rummaging is A Good Thing Wink

Fishnet
    Fishnet  104976 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2009 - 4:26 PM

Quote: It's criminal what some people throw away! Skips are great. Me and a mate liberated an old wardrobe from a skip many moons ago in London, we carried it home and when we opened the door a cat shot out. . . Don't know how it came to in there but that was proof that skip rummaging is A Good Thing

Have you ever seen the episode of Malcolm In The Middle when the dad rescues and old wardrobe from a skip as a surprise present for his wife, he gets it home, opens it up and out fly hundreds of bats.
    It is hilarious.

User_Removed
    10 Jun 2009 - 4:27 PM

Quote: when we opened the door a cat shot out.

You were lucky - a cat with an AK-47 - how dangerous is that! Smile

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225749 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2009 - 4:40 PM

Quote: You were lucky - a cat with an AK-47 - how dangerous is that!

Catastrophic! Wink

Last Modified By Just Jas at 10 Jun 2009 - 4:41 PM
    collywobles
    11 Jun 2009 - 5:40 PM

It seems to be a pastime for those dregs of society "so called Travellers"

SuziBlue
    SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jun 2009 - 10:16 PM

I love looking through skips too, as well as trawling round charity shops and junk shops.

As far as skips go, and stuff being left outside houses, I do always knock and ask if I can take it but I've never had anyone say no. If you're throwing something out, better it goes to someone who wants it rather than ending up on a dump somewhere being ruined by rain.

Smile

Zonda
    Zonda  5303 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jun 2009 - 10:49 PM

I sent my stuffed herring gull to landfill last week. I hope the live ones dont try and mate with it.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.