Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

HC/EC gallery

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MikefromEbbw
11 Nov 2009 - 4:54 PM

Hi all.
I dont normally post on the forums but thought I would start this as I know a few members feel strongly about it but dont want to mention it.
I regularly visit the HC/EC galleries to see what I hope to be the best pics uploaded on that particular day.I so often get dissapointed in what I see though.I was wondering if along with the award perhaps Pete could give a brief description on why a particular shot was awarded it.Time after time I have a look and see badly composed/processed shots getting recognition.I mean what is going on?
I am certainly no expert in the photography field and am not questioning Petes ability as a judge but I know a bad shot when I see it.This may sound like sour grapes to some but I can assure you it isnt.I take pics that please me and no-one else.
I dont want to start one of `those` debates but I am truly lost sometimes to find the reason behind some of these awards.Your thoughts please folks.

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Nov 2009 - 4:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2009 - 5:09 PM

All is explained HERE

Quote: but I am truly lost sometimes to find the reason behind some of these awards.

Different people enjoy different images. Simple as that really. It'd be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing.

Last Modified By justin c at 11 Nov 2009 - 5:12 PM
NexusImages
NexusImages e2 Member 71844 forum postsNexusImages vcard United Kingdom4 Constructive Critique Points

my thoughts are that those galleries are from the opinion of one man, and just that. Don't get your knickers in a knot about it. It really isn't that important. I'm pretty sure that you have enough taste to work out your own favorites and give them recognition accordingly. I'm pretty sure that we don't need to hang on the opinion of one guy to validate photography?
Mand.

Last Modified By NexusImages at 11 Nov 2009 - 5:10 PM
User_Removed

dont get hung up about it - its just one mans opinion and not that important really is it ?? who are you wanting to please is the question?

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2009 - 5:20 PM

Blimey I thought I was doing well it's been ages...
Mike forgive me for not getting into a debate this time...Justin's provided a link...I do try from time to time to add comments to the ECs/HCs but I have many thinks that I juggle with so cannot always do that.
We've added RCs (readers choice) and UA (user awards) to give more variety to awards...have a look at those if you don't agree with my choice Smile

John_Frid
John_Frid  8514 forum posts United Kingdom56 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2009 - 5:20 PM

Like any form of art, photography is subjective. Often it is not the perfectly composed and correctly exposed images that capture the imagination and interest.

The HC/EC designation is Pete letting us know what has caught his imagination, and whilst being perfectly composed and correctly exposed is important, it certainly isn't the be all and end all.

Far from getting annoyed about it, take the opportunity to ask why do you think Pete found it worthy. This way you will have explored the image at a deeper level than you may otherwise have done - and maybe you'll see something you like, or maybe you'll still feel that it isn't worthy.

For what it is worth, I like the fact that we can all share a love of photography, yet can all have different (and perfectly valid) ideas of what is good.

MikefromEbbw
11 Nov 2009 - 5:21 PM

If I am honest I have always said that it is the opinion of one man but just thought a description would help others improve.That is why I started the thread.It isnt important to me personally no,I couldnt give two hoots who likes my stuff.But some of the folks on here live for them which I find quite sad to be frank.

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
11 Nov 2009 - 5:25 PM

You have 2 HC's. I expect you posted your photos in good faith thinking they were worthy of being up-loaded on EPZ and when you got the Award you thought Pete made a good choice and did not question his choice. JNC

MikefromEbbw
11 Nov 2009 - 5:31 PM

Quote: You have 2 HC's. I expect you posted your photos in good faith thinking they were worthy of being up-loaded on EPZ and when you got the Award you thought Pete made a good choice and did not question his choice. JNC

To be perfectly honest with you I think that the two HC`s that I have are two of the least deserving shots in my gallery.They may be technically good but they were a doddle to take.They were awarded by the old Premier Award Team and not by Pete.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318434 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2009 - 5:32 PM

Quote: But some of the folks on here live for them which I find quite sad to be frank.

I wasn't going to get involved...but...
I don't think they live for them...it's just a pleasant surprise if they get one...no harm in that. It's really not fair to say it's sad. It's sad that you have to say they're sad.

MikefromEbbw
11 Nov 2009 - 5:33 PM

Quote:
Mike forgive me for not getting into a debate this time...Justin's provided a link...I do try from time to time to add comments to the ECs/HCs but I have many thinks that I juggle with so cannot always do that.

Thats a fair comment Pete.

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Nov 2009 - 5:35 PM

Quote: Dont get hung up about it - its just one mans opinion and not that important really is it ?? who are you wanting to please is the question?

Exactly..

Pete
11 Nov 2009 - 5:37 PM

Quote: To be perfectly honest with you I think that the two HC`s that I have are two of the least deserving shots in my gallery.They may be technically good but they were a doddle to take.They were awarded by the old Premier Award Team and not by Pete

That's a shame you didn't agree with the panel's choice either. Any suggestions how we could make it better? I'm not being argumentative or stroppy here either Mike, but it's the same old problem and I don't believe it's resolvable.

Last Modified By Pete at 11 Nov 2009 - 5:37 PM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2009 - 5:39 PM

Try this for an experiment.

Take several hours on any given day, Then try and view every single upload without a break, Whilst your doing that, Try typing a few lines on any or all the ones you like or dislike....!

Now add to the scenario the fact that your running a business, Answering the phone, Answering questions, Answering forum posts, Taking a leak, Having some lunch....Etc Etc Etc.....Sad

Even if a team was doing the job, We would have comments like " Well thats only thier opinion " .....Smile Then there would be the debating factor all over again.

Ask yourself, Would you devote your time, Put in the effort, Whilst at the same time trying to please everyone....Smile

Quite honestly I amased that Pete has the time or the patience, Let alone resilience to judge for EC/HC day in day out....!!!

And for what...!!! Never ending " Flack " winging and moaning from every quarter....Sad

I'm F**cked if I would do it.....!

Last Modified By cameracat at 11 Nov 2009 - 5:40 PM
KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2009 - 5:42 PM

Quote: I dont want to start one of `those` debates

Erm...

Thud

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.