Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

HD 1080p editing software

LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
5 Apr 2010 7:38PM
Hi,

I've been trying out the HD video on my dslr today. I don't have any video editing software on my PC (Running windows 7), can anyone recommend a good software package for editing HD 1080p 25fps video, with YouTube being the intended publication format?

Preferably a freeware, shareware, or trial version, as I can't see myself using this function all that often (too used to autofocus with Stills).

Steve

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
5 Apr 2010 8:16PM
Roxio Creator 2010 has a full suite of all things video.

Not a freebie but there is a trial option.

There is also one by " Cyberlink " can't remember the name, But it is supposed to be HD 1080p compatible....!

Ah! Here it is " Power Director "....Linky thing ...Smile
gary_k e2
9 75 England
6 Apr 2010 11:46AM
I've played a little bit too, having just got a 7D. You can download Windows Live Movie Maker for free ( a sister app to Live/MSN Messenger), it offers basic editing features.

I can't vouch for 1080p, as I haven't tried it yet - because my telly's only 720p.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
6 Apr 2010 12:05PM
You can get a trial version of Vegas Pro 9 from here .

I can confirm it works well with 1080p video. If you decide to use Vegas Pro 9 I can give you a few settings which I myself use.
LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2010 7:04PM
I hit a problem with movie maker in that it wouldn't read quicktime movies, and since I had an entire day's shoot in quicktime movies I wasn't going to upload and convert them all. I did run one through a converter just to test it out, but the converter failed.

I've had a look a quicktime pro, but that looks fairly limited, certainly nothing to rescue my early attempts (but then I expected to lose those - I suspect I'll need to set aside another day given what I've reviewed so far.)

Just downloading Vegas Pro 9 now, so hopefully that will be a bit more user friendly.
LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2010 12:20AM
I tried the Sony software but found that it had too high a learning curve, for what I was prepared to put into it. Instead I've bought Cyberlink's PowerDirector8 Ultra which is so user friendly and intuitive, I struggled with the Sony software for 3 evenings and got no where.

One evening with PowerDirector and I've got a finished film, and without once having to go looking for instructions. Sure its not as powerful as the Sony software, but it has everything I need.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
14 Apr 2010 12:39AM
Interesting - it's always good to hear about user-friendly software. Smile
stomp e2
13 203 England
14 Apr 2010 6:44AM

Quote:I hit a problem with movie maker in that it wouldn't read quicktime movies, and since I had an entire day's shoot in quicktime movies I wasn't going to upload and convert them all. I did run one through a converter just to test it out, but the converter failed.

I've had a look a quicktime pro, but that looks fairly limited, certainly nothing to rescue my early attempts (but then I expected to lose those - I suspect I'll need to set aside another day given what I've reviewed so far.)

Just downloading Vegas Pro 9 now, so hopefully that will be a bit more user friendly.

Try making a copy of the file but renaming it with an .MP4 extension and it could work. Apparently the Quicktime file out of the camera is just an MP4 file under a different name.

BUT REMEMBER TO USE A COPY OF THE FILESmileSmile

Steve

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.