Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

HDR - a whole new world

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cheddar-caveman
22 Sep 2012 - 8:15 AM

What a lot of fun, and how fast time goes. Just got into the world of HDR, downloaded the prog' from Photomatix, and now spend hours playing between Lightroom and Photomatix. Some weird results but also some amazing ones.

I've put a couple of the Cheddar Gorge on my website

I think probably the mistake a lot of people make is to go "over the top" with the effects so I'm trying to contain myself and keep the images "natural"

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Sep 2012 - 8:15 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeA
MikeA  91179 forum posts England
22 Sep 2012 - 8:47 AM

Hi, I use Photomatrix, you might also want to try this one:, very easy to achieve "Natural" looking images.

http://www.oloneo.com/

PaulSR
PaulSR  9511 forum posts England
22 Sep 2012 - 8:57 AM

i dont normally do Hdr but there is a hdr effect in Picassa 3. not sure how good it is compared to others mentioned

clintQB
clintQB  351 forum posts United Kingdom
22 Sep 2012 - 8:59 PM

I do a lot of HDR, mostly for my urbex shots...it gives them that something extra

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
22 Sep 2012 - 9:15 PM

Quote: HDR - a whole new world

Crikey mate, Where the heck have you been hiding.....Grin

Seeing as you have finally discovered HDR, Check out Nik Softwares HDR Efex Pro 2.

Guaranteed to maul your pixels into something, Not sure what though....!!!

Good fun when your bored with everything else....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 22 Sep 2012 - 9:15 PM
cheddar-caveman
22 Sep 2012 - 9:26 PM

I've been doing all sorts of things other than HDR! My son reminded me of it last week so I looked again and saw this picture and thought, "that's quite nice, I'll have a go"! So here I am having a go and finding it quite fascinating - for the time being!

User_Removed
24 Sep 2012 - 11:30 PM

AAAAAARRRRRRGH!!!!!!!

Seriously, no objection to folk using HDR software such as Photomatix or the much superior HDR Efex Pro to create what they consider to be "artistic" images if that is what floats their boat.

But don't lose sight of the original purpose of HDR processing - to compensate for the restricted dynamic range of a digital camera sensor and compress the tones of an image of a high dynamic range subject so that it can be reproduced within the confines of a computer monitor or photographic print.

To my mind, the best HDR images are those where no-one can tell they have been HDRed, even if they were created from 9 exposures at one-stop intervals. I recently took a photograph of a scene where the dynamic range far exceed the ability of the human eye to see. The sunset was so bright that it blinded the eye to the extent that no detail could be seen in the shadow areas. Yet, with 9 exposures and HDR processing, an acceptable photograph was possible. That's the real magic of HDR.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014845 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 12:03 AM

Quote: much superior HDR Efex Pro

You'll you want to do batch processing that is.... then you reach for the proper programs Wink

wasper
wasper e2 Member 8532 forum postswasper vcard Ireland1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 4:56 AM

I think Photomatix got worse after v3.2.

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 7:31 AM

Quote: I think Photomatix got worse after v3.2.

I couldn't agree more. It was brilliant up until then. It wasn't broke but they fixed it anyway.

cheddar-caveman
25 Sep 2012 - 7:44 AM

Color Efex Pro 3 - Is this the same sort of thing? Much cheaper than the Efex Pro so probably a previous version?

One on Ebay

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014845 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 12:42 PM

Quote: I think Photomatix got worse after v3.2.

I couldn't agree more. It was brilliant up until then. It wasn't broke but they fixed it anyway.

what specifically got worse?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014176 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 12:54 PM

Quote: what specifically got worse?

I was wondering that - I thought the engine had actually got a lot better LOL

cheddar-caveman
25 Sep 2012 - 12:54 PM

Yes, what got "worse"? After all as the user, you have full control of what comes out of the program. The program is simply a tool. From what I've seen of it so far it can take a photo to extremes and back again and every where in between!

ade_mcfade
25 Sep 2012 - 1:04 PM

I think it's vastly improved - the exposure fusion results are far more realistic, halos are less prevalent, the batch processor works a treat, the UI is faster, the abililty to select areas NOT to tone map is great if you want nice skies...

if you're going to slag something off it's best to give reasons behind your thoughts

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.