Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

HDR - a whole new world

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cheddar-caveman
25 Sep 2012 - 1:10 PM

Well said Ade! My thoughts were somewhere along those lines even though I'm only just beginning to get into it. I can't believe any software producer would put out upgrades that were actually worse than the previous one!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Sep 2012 - 1:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014143 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 1:27 PM

Quote: I can't believe any software producer would put out upgrades that were actually worse than the previous one!

iOS6 Maps
Windows Vista
MSDOS 4

Ewanneil
Ewanneil  41118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 1:33 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding but the internet has been down for a lot of the morning. Weather, I think.

Quote: if you're going to slag something off it's best to give reasons behind your thoughts

I wasn't slagging it off. I use Photomatix all the time. I think it's a brilliant piece of software - I just preferred the old UI.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014815 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 1:39 PM

ah ok - the UI

see - someone could assume that it was now producing rubbish blended shots from your original comment, or anything really Wink

the UI seems ok, never really been an issue as I tend to use batch processing which has a consistent UI from version to version

Ewanneil
25 Sep 2012 - 2:43 PM

Quote: see - someone could assume that it was now producing rubbish blended shots from your original comment

Well it is but it has nothing to do with the software. The old adage of garbage in; garbage out springs to mind. Grin

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014815 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
25 Sep 2012 - 3:26 PM

I agree with that, but when it was said that it had "gone downhill" you could assume that it was "good stuff in, garbage out" Wink

Ewanneil
25 Sep 2012 - 3:38 PM

Well, I only meant in the context of the UI which I now find to be less user friendly than before. Sometimes you just click with a piece of software. It feels intuitive and using it is an enjoyable experience. When they changed to Photomatix V.4 I just un-clicked and didn't enjoy using it as much as I did previously.

User_Removed
25 Sep 2012 - 4:08 PM

Quote: Color Efex Pro 3 - Is this the same sort of thing? Much cheaper than the Efex Pro so probably a previous version?

One on Ebay

No.

ColorEfexPro is a different program. It does not do HDR. But, along with SilverEfexPro, they both use Nik's U-Point technology to allow control points to be used to apply different effects to different parts of the image. That is the hguge advantage of HDR EfexPro over Photomatix imho. - You can, if you are so inclined, apply one HDR effect to the Sky, a different one to the trees, a stronger one to the pebbles on the beach and, of course, none at all to the ripples on the lake.

Having said that, I don't agree that Photomatix has "gone backwards". The latest version is a big improvement on previous versions. Just not yet as good as the Nik alternative (unless you are like Ade and want to do batch processing)

ade_mcfade
25 Sep 2012 - 4:40 PM

Quote: Well, I only meant in the context of the UI which I now find to be less user friendly than before.

fair do's Wink

I'll shut up - but you see the point that generic or even ambiguous comments on forms can lead to people assuming totally different things to intended Wink

Ewanneil
25 Sep 2012 - 4:43 PM

Yes. I agree.

Last Modified By Ewanneil at 25 Sep 2012 - 4:44 PM
ade_mcfade
25 Sep 2012 - 4:43 PM

good - my work is done, back to the cleaning now then Wink

cheddar-caveman
25 Sep 2012 - 4:47 PM

Blimey, how can such an innocent post lead to such passion! I love it, and thanks to everyone for taking the time to take partGrin

ade_mcfade
25 Sep 2012 - 6:04 PM

lol - I do like to defend Photomatix Wink

I know HDR EFEX is a cool tool and you;ve got lots of options... but its entirely useless for large volumes of work, which probably is unimportant to most "hobbyists"

I've been using Oloneo a bit recently too, now I've seen that it can do BATCH too... .all those TVR shots were never touched by photoshop or any selective editing... Just lightroom and oloneo. had them ready for preview in about 25 minutes... they got 2 HCs on here... client loves them...

Were I using HDR EFEX I'd probably still be editing the first one Wink

User_Removed
27 Sep 2012 - 9:52 AM

Going slightly obliquely off-topic, Ade - but I am interested to know what type of photographs you batch-process in Photomatix. I have always thought of HDR as something I might apply to images on a very individual basis rather than in any routine way. But I am clearly missing something and keen to expand my knowledge.

ade_mcfade
27 Sep 2012 - 9:57 AM

Cars and buildings mainly - because that's what I mainly do HDR on.

The rest is usually single shot

You "could" spend a week on every job doing each shot individually I guess.

Probably have to set your client's expectations up front, vastly increase your day rate to cover the extra work etc.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.