Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

HDR

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Kool_Kat
    Kool_Kat e2 Member 8141 forum postsKool_Kat vcard United Kingdom
    7 May 2011 - 1:14 PM

Can anyone explain how to set my D300s to take HDR shots please

Thank you Kat

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 May 2011 - 1:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82202 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom119 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2011 - 1:28 PM

Hi Kat,

I don't know your camera, but usually you need 3rd party software to process HDR (e.g. photmatix). In camera you would take a serise of images from exactly the same position (i.e. use a tripod) using a range of exposures (altering shutter speed and not aperture to keep a consistant depth of field). Some users simply set their cameras to take bracketted exposures to adjust the exposure automatically - is this what you mean?

Rgds,

Adam

Kool_Kat
    7 May 2011 - 1:45 PM

That Helps
    thank you

Ewanneil
    Ewanneil  31118 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2011 - 2:06 PM

You need to do a few things to set your camera up:- Read Pages 120-132 of your user's manual.

In addition, for HDR photography make sure that the White Balance setting is not on Automatic. This will remove any chance of variations between shots and switch off Active D Lighting for the same reason.

Good luck

Ewan

Kool_Kat
    7 May 2011 - 2:29 PM

Thank you too will look into that
    Kat

Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4399 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2011 - 4:14 PM

Another method to try, & I do it all the time.....shoot your image in RAW mode !

Then Adobe Camera Raw, create 2 or more separate images varying the exposure for each (say 1 for the sky area, & a second for the foreground-in a landscape for eg.), then blend the images
    together using 'Layers' & different 'Blend Modes' to acheive your desired effect......it's easy, & quite straightforward, & it works !

Hope this helps....Nn.

Robert_Malcolm
    7 May 2011 - 10:28 PM

The RAW method is actually the best way to process for HDR that doesn't look like a colouring in competition entry. It has the added advantage that nothing moves when you have only a single image. The disadvantage, Niknut, is that not everyone has CS5. Not everyone uses Adobe, apparently. Although I understand that there are plenty of RAW processing options available as alternatives.

chris.maddock
    7 May 2011 - 10:34 PM

The only snag there is that multiple processing of a single RAW image to create the source images is not HDR Tongue

Niknut
    Niknut e2 Member 4399 forum postsNiknut vcard United Kingdom60 Constructive Critique Points
    8 May 2011 - 4:11 PM

Hi Robert-M,
    I process my RAW images in Adobe PS Elements....I wish I had CS5, but it's way beyond my pocket money, & quite frankly I couldn't justify it, with perhaps 75% of it's facilities I'd never use !
    I can understand a 'pro' using this programme, or a graphic-designer.....but I know PSE inside-out, & it does everything I can throw at it.......

My methods may not be 'hard-core' HDR......more 'Extended DR' ?....but I try to create images that are realistic & believable, rather than an image that looks too 'comic-book' for my tastes.

But we've all got different tastes with any image, & I wouldn't say HDR is wrong, it's just not for me.....& only Kool-Kat knows how far he wants to take it.......

Lastly, multiple images adjusted in Camera Raw, is no different to taking multiple shots in the camera......hard HDR images can be created in PSE, I've tried it in the past, I just don't like the effect !!!!!!.Wink

chris.maddock
    8 May 2011 - 4:19 PM

Quote: Lastly, multiple images adjusted in Camera Raw, is no different to taking multiple shots in the camera

Oh yes it is - a shot correctly exposed for the shadows is far better than one exposed for the midtones and converted to pull the shadows up, likewise one correctly exposed for the highlights is better than one for the modtones converted to pull the highlights down.

Niknut
    8 May 2011 - 8:08 PM

Hmmmmmm....strange that ?.....I never expose for the mid-tones !

RogBrown
    RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
    8 May 2011 - 9:26 PM

Believe me, if you're in say a cathedral & take one exposure for the mid-tones, you will have blown-out windows & no amount of juggling around with the RAW file will get the detail back. You HAVE to do multiple exposures.

Quote: rather than an image that looks too 'comic-book' for my tastes

This is purely & simply the result of incompetent processing. With a correctly processed HDR, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference. If I weren't so modest I'd say check out my pf - it's almost all hdr. Also check out DaveU's pf.

Just Jas
    Just Jas  1225716 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    8 May 2011 - 11:29 PM

Quote: ... you will have blown-out windows....

Could be pretty drafty in that case, Rog! WinkWinkWink

(You're quite right though, of course, Rog!).

Last Modified By Just Jas at 8 May 2011 - 11:33 PM
    Kool_Kat
    15 May 2011 - 3:16 PM

Thank you I have now got it sorted
    Kat

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.