Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

HDR Gallery?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
8 Jan 2008 - 11:49 AM

Think it's time we had a HDR gallery or (Class of photography).

Simply to make comparisons between multi exposed blended images......and those that aren't.

Col

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Jan 2008 - 11:51 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jan 2008 - 11:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 11:53 AM

Well you can find a lot by an HDR tag search.

But is it a category like landscape/close up/glamour? I don't think so as its a technique rather than a subject.

Maybe it should be a checkbox people can filter the gallery on? I see it similar to the film, camera, lens options on the upload.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 8 Jan 2008 - 11:57 AM
Sep
Sep  71330 forum posts England
8 Jan 2008 - 11:54 AM

Not a bad idea.HDR seems to be getting more popular .

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 11:57 AM

The several categories that HRD would already fall into, do we really need more choices Smile

User_Removed
8 Jan 2008 - 12:29 PM

Quote: The several categories that HRD would already fall into, do we really need more choices

Yep..... The really well done HDRs are not easy to spot, they are not usually tagged as such neither.
They'll be a time when every camera has it inbuilt, like a layered sensor that gives a 4-5 stop exposure range combo.
Col

Last Modified By User_Removed at 8 Jan 2008 - 12:30 PM
uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 12:46 PM

An option tag on the film/digital wouldn't be a bad idea but as said its a technique rather than a class of shot.

Tommy

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 12:47 PM

Quote: They'll be a time when every camera has it inbuilt

God, what a frightening thought....

I mean, as if the rash of badly-done HDRs we had to put with in the gallery last year weren't bad enough. Just think what horrors might be perpetrated when it's all automated. Actually, it's better not thought about. That way lies insanity. Wink

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 12:53 PM

well no - the camera will capture sufficient information for HDR, it'll not do cack handed tone mapping Smile

Looking forward to it myself - just think, no more black horizons from ND grads touching the tops of trees and buildings... .

That's why I like it - my Leeds series would never have worked "traditionally" with normal filters... .

many may argue that it didn't work with HDR but they can f*** off :-P

Last Modified By ade_mcfade at 8 Jan 2008 - 12:53 PM
digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 1:01 PM

There are loads of badly done shots of all kinds in the galleries, HDR is just another technique which can be either badly or well done.

I am reasonably confident that my HDRs look right and the technique has allowed me to get shots where I would have really struggled with filters.

As to whether it needs another gallery category, I don't think so. I tag mine as HDR so a gallery search would work. Alternatively, as has been suggested, it could be another filter option fed by a tick box.

Ian

DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 1:05 PM

Yup, the HDR bit is pretty much automatic and just produces a single image file which captures a greater dynamic range than you could ever get with a single exposure. It's the tone-mapping that makes or breaks the final image. Done subtly you'll probably never tell. Done "badly" and you've got a cartoon. Not sure that we need a separate HDR gallery though.

randomrubble
8 Jan 2008 - 1:18 PM

Quote: the rash of badly-done HDRs we had to put with in the gallery last year

Was that partly down to the software?

I think Photomatix is now a much more usable programme than it was a year ago. I've just used the latest version and, after dropping it last year because of the weird overcooked colors, have for the first time got a result that both gives me someting I couldn't get easily in photoshop and is actually pleasing to my eye.

uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 1:22 PM

I think it was also down to style and what people thought would look good, which wasnt to everyones taste.

I still see people who have an aversion to HDR as if its cheating or something, which cracks me up Smile. Its just another tool in the bag to me.

Tommy

Thehammer
Thehammer  761 forum posts
8 Jan 2008 - 1:55 PM

Dont think its cheating but guess it saves time if you cant stick around all day for the right light if your doing landscapes and not worried about the lack of soul....

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 2:02 PM

Quote: Dont think its cheating but guess it saves time if you cant stick around all day for the right light if your doing landscapes and not worried about the lack of soul....

Do you feel the same about grad filters. Both are used to obtain greater dynamic range.

but I have to say I am happier using the grads, at the moment.

theorderingone
8 Jan 2008 - 2:03 PM

Quote: Dont think its cheating but guess it saves time if you cant stick around all day for the right light if your doing landscapes and not worried about the lack of soul....

I would've thought the right light would benefit a HDR image also?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.