Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

HDR Gallery?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
uggyy
uggyy  82104 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 2:14 PM

Quote: and not worried about the lack of soul....

If HDR done right I think you will find a lot of soul in it.

And as for saving time, you need the light to get it to work as much as any normal shot but does let you use other light in ways grads would never work.

As I said before, people seem to think of HDR as cheating, I rest my case Smile..

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Jan 2008 - 2:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin
mdpontin  96016 forum posts Scotland
8 Jan 2008 - 3:06 PM

I've never tried HDR yet... Sad

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014560 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 3:18 PM

Quote: Dont think its cheating but guess it saves time if you cant stick around all day for the right light if your doing landscapes and not worried about the lack of soul....

Soul in a shot is independant of the technique used.

it's a bit like saying that novels written with a pen are better than those written with a laptop.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013939 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 3:29 PM

Quote: it's a bit like saying that novels written with a pen are better than those written with a laptop.

I think ones writ in crayon are best.

uggyy
8 Jan 2008 - 3:33 PM

Crayon rulze...

Though its really hard to get off the laptop screen....

looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 3:37 PM

I remember my first HDR, cartoon like and fuzzy due to slight movement as I pressed the shutter on the camera, since I have included many some tagged some not that have gone totally unnoticed by the sceptics , so yes I use it and like it! My next few uploads will be HDR again as I have no filters, in fact my upload today is a one shot HDR using RAW.

randomrubble
8 Jan 2008 - 4:05 PM

Quote: QuoteGrinont think its cheating but guess it saves time if you cant stick around all day for the right light if your doing landscapes and not worried about the lack of soul....Do you feel the same about grad filters. Both are used to obtain greater dynamic range.

but I have to say I am happier using the grads, at the moment.

I certainly am...

I think that the over-use of grads and such has led to a very prevalent school of landscape photography that sucks the life out of locations and renders them all the same.

It depresses me to see so much work that is soul-less because it is based entirely on an idea of application of a 'correct' technical approach and frequently has nothing to say about place. I think this is often because when it comes down to it the photographer has been more interested in a preconcieved image than Genius Loci and his own experience of it.

Many photographers now carefully make any Seascape/Mountain Scene/stream/whatever look much like any other Seascape/Mountain Scene/Stream/Whatever, regrdless of lattitude or logitude (carefully recoded by GPS of course Wink) by carefully going at 'golden hour' and nuking with 7 stops of ND grad. The exposure carefully rebalanced and then fine tuned in PS to bring out 'the colours he saw' so that there is no trace of the spirit of place or visual experiment, only the pre-concieved stylings of the photographer...

It's not so much that this reduces the photography to a parade of similar work, it's that in my mind it shows scant regard for the subtlety of the experience when you are out in the landscape.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014560 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 4:05 PM

Quote: in fact my upload today is a one shot HDR using RAW

a pseudo-HDR Smile

uses all the same techniques on the PC, but the initial capture only caught a the dynamic range that one shot can produce. I use it as do many of us to good effect, but I think that it's more of a "tone mapping" excercise than true HDR.

A little pedantic, but strictly speaking, a HDR is a "high dynamic range" shot Smile

looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jan 2008 - 4:08 PM

a pseudo-HDR or not the fact is I was rushing down to get the shot before the sun went down and was accosted by a camera club man who wanted me in the local club, in the end I took it hand held as I had to rush down to the beach to get some more real HDR's in the bag Smile

uggyy
8 Jan 2008 - 4:27 PM

The funny thing is.. I wonder how many people who think HDR is "EVIL" look at well done HDR images every day on this site and never know it Smile

Then they see some of the OTT ones and think this is what HDR is all about...

fauxtography
8 Jan 2008 - 4:28 PM

Quote: Soul in a shot is independant of the technique used.

I think Holga and Lomo users would disagree Wink

User_Removed
8 Jan 2008 - 4:34 PM

Quote: The funny thing is.. I wonder how many people who think HDR is "EVIL" look at well done HDR images every day on this site and never know it

Exactly
Col

User_Removed
8 Jan 2008 - 7:17 PM

I think as HDR software has just another tool. I try taking the shot with grads then perhaps if time, a few bracketed shots. I don't think having just HDR galley would work.
I think there will always be over processed images, you see some bad ones processed in Photoshop, i know because i have done some!.
As i say, "you can't knock something till you try it"Smile
Mark

JASPERIMAGE
16 Jan 2008 - 1:33 AM

Well,I am one who has been intro'd to HDR through a contact as I was totally fed up with filters cropping my images on a Sigma 10-20 wide lens.

I am experimenting with HDR using Canon Eos 30D and AEB. So far I shoot 3 RAW and process in Photoshop CS2 RAW process then in Photoshop process all 3 images taken at 3 diff sets in HDR.

Result, absolute brill but still needs development in Photoshop in the Levels, Shadow Highlight, Brightness Contrast and Smart Sharp.

Results in none brill situ so far has been absolute fantastic.

Looking forward to catching some real images in same.

Brian

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
16 Jan 2008 - 6:29 AM

I have found the most recent incarnation of Photomatrix to be much better, I think its down to the viewer, in previous versions it looked dull in the PM viewer, but when you send it to PS it was garish. Not all images I find work with HDR, particularly the noise produced is some i find unacceptable.

In y workflow I tend to use both at the time of capture, often combing in the final image.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.