Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

HDR mode in the D5200

11 Feb 2013 10:46PM
Hello everyone and looking forward to using the forum.

I have a shiny new D5200 and for some reason, I can't get the HDR mode to work - it's a brand new camera, but the HDR mode in the menu is greyed out no matter what setting I have it on - jpeg, raw, etc, or manual, A, S or M.

Not that I particularly want to use it, I would take bracketed shots and use photomatix to process them, it's just a bit annoying!

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? The manual isn't much use.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KNS 5 106 2 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 11:35PM
P,A,S or M Modes,

Shoot jpg

Check ADL bracketing - should enable
12 Feb 2013 10:23AM
Bingo. It was the ADL that was the problem. Many thanks!!!!!

Now if it will only stop raining.........
KNS 5 106 2 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 11:36AM
You're welcome Smile
FredDee 1 56 United Kingdom
22 Jun 2013 11:52AM
Northerner,
Did you ever get your HDR to 'switch on' ?
I have same prob and in spite of setting S mode, jpeg normal, and enabling ADL,
HDR still remains 'greyed out'.
Any further info would be much appreciated.
Fred
22 Jun 2013 6:29PM
Hi Fred.

Yes - to get it use jpeg and aperture priority - single shot mode, ADL and it should work. I don't think the results are up to much, to be honest though. Far better to use AEB to your taste and shoot in RAW, then process in PS or photomatix, etc. That's my experience so far, anyway.
Gundog 1 624 Scotland
22 Jun 2013 7:56PM

Quote:Hi Fred.

Yes - to get it use jpeg and aperture priority - single shot mode, ADL and it should work. I don't think the results are up to much, to be honest though. Far better to use AEB to your taste and shoot in RAW, then process in PS or photomatix, etc. That's my experience so far, anyway.

Have to agree with Northerner. In-camera HDR is a poor substitute for the real thing (not least because it only works in Jpeg). Even in my D800 it is pure sh*te.

The answer is to shoot bracketed sequences in Raw and blend in a decent proprietary software solution. My favourite is Nik's HDR EfexPro2.
FredDee 1 56 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2013 11:19AM
Thanks for the help and comments guys...
I got it to work in the end, and you are right Gundog..... It's pure sh*te !!!! Wink

I am now bracketing, shooting RAW, converting to DNG, and then HDR processing in PS5.
I couldn't find a Camera Raw update for CS5 that included the D5200, so I
went for the Adobe DNG converter prog. which solved the Camera Raw not seeing
my .NEF files problem.

Fred
26 Jun 2013 1:53PM
Just out of interest, I convert my files using the bundled viewnx software rather than Adobe DNG, just find it quicker and easier plus you can preview them and do some basic processing using it.
lemontart 2 55 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2013 7:02AM
here is a video tutorial for bracketing on d5200

Video

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.