Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Get on1's Perfect Effects 9.5 for FREE! (£48 value)

HDR software

Gillygems 3 32 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2013 7:41PM
Please can anyone suggest the best prog for processing hdr pics. I already have Lightroom and Elements 10.
Thanks all!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

teepee 12 804 England
26 Feb 2013 8:04PM
Hi I use Photomatix Pro, seems ok for what I do...................Good LuckSmile
26 Feb 2013 8:14PM
Thanks, Teepee -
I'd heard of that but couldn't remember the name - you've jogged my memory!
Willpower 4 242 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2013 8:22PM
Also consider the Nik software Suite. Or Just HDR Pro2 (part of the suite) Extremely easy to use and comparable if not even superior to Photomatix.
carper123 Plus
3 194 8 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2013 8:34PM
Hi, Gilly,
Try a free hdr version first, the results can be surprisingly good, in particular , Luminance, i have had some decent results. Well i think i have, others may disagree, all part of the learning process.
Good luck.
Darryl. Smile
26 Feb 2013 8:39PM
Will do, thanks Darryl!
colijohn 3 38 2 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2013 9:13PM
Could also try Machinery HDR you can download a free trail.

Cheers, Colin
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
26 Feb 2013 9:32PM
JJGEE 10 6.5k 18 England
26 Feb 2013 10:17PM

Quote:I already have Lightroom

Is that Lightroom 4 ( currently at v 4.3 ) ?

The basic panel in the develop module has some powerful features that except for extreme dynamic range shots can " rescue " an incredible amount of detail in either or both of the highlights & shadows.

You may not need HDR software Wink
seahawk Plus
7 673 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2013 1:18PM
I agree with JJGEE, you can get some good free HDR presets from Matt Kloskowski at http://lightroomkillertips.com/category/presets/page/3/ (plus lots of others). I find them as good as HDR software in most cases. Try them first before spending anything.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2013 1:31PM
If you are using Lightroom you can install a Photomatix Plugin which allows you to export directly to Photomatix and re-import the result. I have always used Photomatix and had good results. My recent upload of my Jag was processed using it.

Ian
Nick_w 7 4.1k 99 England
27 Feb 2013 1:33PM
Lightroom isn't bad at processing a 32 bit file either Wink

Just export the stack to PM save the resultant file and import back into Lightroom, then process as if its a RAW.
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2013 1:34PM
By the way, as far as I can see Lightroom HDR presets are not HDR, they simply alter the various settings to get as much as possible from a single shot. The whole idea of HDR is to combine multiple exposures so you actually capture the entire dynamic range.
JJGEE 10 6.5k 18 England
27 Feb 2013 1:54PM

Quote:My recent upload of my Jag was processed using it.

But how different would have processing just a single exposure been ?
27 Feb 2013 2:04PM
I'm following this discussion with interest! I really want to stack my images to form a true HDR IOC. I've downloaded Luminance but not impressed with t
My first results (obviously I need practise) but I'm happy to splash out on Photomatrix if necessary. Is Photomatrix reasonably easy to learn? Thanks for all your replies.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.