Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

HDR software

digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
27 Feb 2013 2:11PM

Quote:But how different would have processing just a single exposure been ?

That would depend upon whether a single exposure could have captured the entire dynamic range In the Jag shot the single (optimum) exposure image had less detail in the deep shadows and the highlights near the roof lights were blown.

Gilly I found Photomatix easy to learn, the difficult part is working out the best way to produce natural looking HDR. At least you get instant preview, so you can move a slider to the full extent and see what it does, then fine tune it to your liking.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
27 Feb 2013 8:24PM

Quote:By the way, as far as I can see Lightroom HDR presets are not HDR

I m not sure if you refered to my post Ian LR can process a 32bit file created by photomatix (or cS5/6)- note I'm not referring to it after tone mapping/ exposure fusion.

Export from LR to PM save the resultant 32 bit file- without going to tonemap options then reimport to LR and process as if it was a RAW.

The following was one I processed this way just as a trial- very little PS (with hind site the FG needed a bit of a lift).

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/nick-w-61515/gallery/photo/the-face-of-twistleton-32103212
27 Feb 2013 9:28PM
No it wasn't your post Nick, that's exactly how I use LR with Photomatix. It was the post about using LR presets on (I think) a single image to make an HDR effect.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
27 Feb 2013 9:35PM

Quote:No it wasn't your post Nick, that's exactly how I use LR with Photomatix. It was the post about using LR presets on (I think) a single image to make an HDR effect.

Ok, I forgot that was a phase some of us went through ca 2007, I've seen quite a few heavily tonemap images of late, must be going for the retro look Wink
Chrisjaz 3 14 France
27 Feb 2013 10:38PM
I use Zoner Photo Studio 15 for HDR ( Tone Mapping ) and it works pretty good .
Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2013 1:18PM
Photomatix has some serious problems (reported in other threads) so I now never use it. The best software currently for HDR is Nik Efex HDR Pro or Oloneo and I think that there is little to choose between them but Oloneo is cheaper. As others have indicated, LR4 is also good for processing 32 bit HDR images and you can do nearly as well as Oloneo. However, to produce the 32 bit files you will need some additional software (cannot be done in Elements) such as Photoshop or Oloneo but there may be some free software that will produce 32 bit images from multiple files. While producing 32 bit files and editing in LR4 produces good results and arguably gives you more control, it is much slower than using Oloneo or Nik Efex HDR Pro.

Dave
1 Mar 2013 1:28PM

Quote:Photomatix has some serious problems

I'm using the latest version of Photomatix and the only problems I have seen are that you have to relearn the interface to a certain extent. As I said above I used it to process my recent photo of my car and there is nothing wrong with the result.

Can you put up a link to one of the threads where this discussion is taking place?

Cheers

Ian
Gillygems 3 32 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2013 8:58AM
My software arrived!! Good to actually have some paper instructions as many progs just have instructions on disc. I was using the prog straight away as it's so easy to understand anyway and the results are amazing - will post to gallery later. Thanks all for your replies to this topic!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.