Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

HDR Software

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
16 Jul 2010 1:10PM
That sounds pretty cool for the interior photographer type - Steve Kershaw may be interested in that, he strobes living rooms (see the off camera flash thread) so if you've got limited flashes you could just move them around bit by bit and get the coverage you need.

If anyone's got the time, inclination and relevent product keys, it'd be good to see a HDR scene done in each of the above programs and see what differences you get - get an idea of speed of use, ease of use, whether the results look like toytown or the real thing AND how easy it is to get something looking real... e.g. "Details Enhancer" in photomatix is a pig get a decent result with, "Tone Compressor" is a lot easier and "Exposure Fusion" is very easy.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2010 1:10PM
Not seen it before, but I can see it being really useful for interior architectural shots, or complex light painting projects Smile
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
16 Jul 2010 1:21PM
also, if you needed lots of light for something like a car photo, you could bung your flashes togehter to get a stop more light, then move them around the car, taking more shots as you go - then use relight to get full coverage...

that's a mini project for me this weekend sorted Wink

anyone got a decent car for me to shoot?
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
16 Jul 2010 1:23PM

Quote:That sounds pretty cool for the interior photographer type

Yes I'm mentioning this in the review. They could set up a balanced shot and adjust the balance later. I didn't think of the flash aspect though. That could also work really well because you'd just need to take one shot with the flash in one position, then shoot again with it in the second position and repeat for a total of six. And then you can not only adjust the brightness of each flash region but the colour too so the gel process could be don later and varied. Might have to go out tonight with my flash!
chase e2
9 1.1k 242 England
16 Jul 2010 3:20PM
-dsc0843-39-40-41-42-tonemapped-copy.jpg

This one was processed with Photomatix & tonemapped using details enhancer.

epz-copy.jpg

This one done with Oloneo PhotoEngine.

Both taken into P/S & finished with a curves adjustment & minimal sharpening for the web.
I must admit,I prefer the colour & tones in the Oloneo processed image.

I haven't got all the other programs .....else I would have done the lot Wink

A difficult scene to process with all that glass but I think the second one looks more like the shop as I remember it Wink
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
16 Jul 2010 3:39PM
yeah - it does look better

I used to get fed up of things looking really faded and blue with Details Enhancer - look at the colour of the wood on the RHS cabinet in the 2 shots - rich brown in the lower one, blueish hues entering with the top one

that's why many of my shots ended up being processed as monos, or with just yellows showing, or just strange colours - trying to avoid those quirks of Details Enhancer
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
16 Jul 2010 5:16PM
The Picturenaut looks interesting as its opensource. Some of the results look pretty good..
RipleyExile 11 1.6k 17 England
16 Jul 2010 9:25PM
Picturenaut gives some very good results. Very close to Photomatix regarding detial and good colours and what I have been using up to now.
looboss 8 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
16 Jul 2010 11:32PM
Downloaded it and it wont install ?? Sad
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
16 Jul 2010 11:49PM
here's a Oloneo HDR

most of the va va voom of the shot came from Nic Software, but the HDR processing was from Oloneo-mg-1896-hdr2.jpg

Boyd 11 11.2k 11 Wales
17 Jul 2010 12:01AM
So maybe you could post the image without the "va va voom" and just show the HDR processing from Oloneo?
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Jul 2010 12:05AM
.....it doen't exist, I saved the va-va-voom one over the top, but I have others... hang on a sec
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Jul 2010 12:09AM
here's one

just 3 RAW files put through the mill

and here's the result, bunnies and all

-mg-1821-hdr.jpg

Boyd 11 11.2k 11 Wales
17 Jul 2010 12:09AM
And there's a lesson to us all - save your versions, composites, experiments, etc. because someday, someone will ask you for it...and they might even want to pay for it.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
17 Jul 2010 12:22AM
well I've still got the raws.... Wink

I could recreate for Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.