Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

HDR software

STEVELIN 6 160 3 Ireland
30 Jun 2012 12:49PM
Anyone recommend any free hdr software ? I found Photomatics pro 3 but this adds a water mark to the image any ideas? im new to hdr so something simple to use would be good
thanks.
Steve

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

30 Jun 2012 1:19PM
Best free HDR software

I use Photomatics Pro 4.2 myself but maybe worth checking out the software described in the above link
STEVELIN 6 160 3 Ireland
30 Jun 2012 1:36PM
thanks ill take a look.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
30 Jun 2012 1:46PM
I have Photomatix Pro v4.2.1 and Nik HDR Efex Pro.

Of the two, the Nik one is a lot better than Photomatix but, unfortunately, neither is free.

The Photomatix trial, as you have discovered, puts a watermark on the HDR image. The Nik trial does not do this - but it only lasts for 15 days. That may be enough for your purposes, or, at least, to allow you to evaluate it enough to make a decision on whether to buy.

Also, you can get a 30-day trial of Photoshop CS6 and, although its HDR function is only a small part of the overall program, it would again allow you to evaluate it.

STEVELIN 6 160 3 Ireland
30 Jun 2012 2:00PM
thanks for that
MikeA 10 1.2k England
30 Jun 2012 3:27PM
This is also on 30 day trial and easy and / or powerful depending on the option you select:
http://www.oloneo.com/

Currently on offer.
30 Jun 2012 3:31PM
You could try Photomatix Essentials at $39 (about 25 squids) ... then if you like it you can upgrade to the pro version for just the price difference between the two. I've bunged a pic into my PF so you can see what Photomatix can do Smile
saltireblue e2
4 4.3k 26 Norway
30 Jun 2012 3:52PM

Quote:This is also on 30 day trial and easy and / or powerful depending on the option you select:
http://www.oloneo.com/

Currently on offer.

Very easy to use and the one I prefer.
SueEley 8 271 96 Wales
30 Jun 2012 9:49PM
Not free, but I prefer Nik to Photomatix as you can do local adjustments easily. Course, if you have Photoshop (recent versions) it does hdr for no additional cost beyond the hefty cost of Photoshop (don't know if Elements does..... probably not?) but I don't find it as good/easy as Nik.
Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2012 9:55PM
Oloneo and Nik are probably the best in HDR software but sadly not free. If you can produce 32 bit images Lightroom 4.1. can edit them allowing you to process HDR for no additional cost, if you already use LR 4.1

You need to ask yourself why would so many photographers pay a lot of money to buy HDR software, if there was equivalent software for free.

Dave
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
1 Jul 2012 12:55AM
It's subjective to suggest that one piece of software is better than another

You need to understand what you "need" from the software - I have used Oloneo and Nik and many others, yet use Photomatix professionally as it fits my workflow better than the others.

I'm producing images for property developers and agents, lots of them, so the results from Exposure Fusion/Adjust - via batch processing - are pretty much spot on.

Now if you're doing one or 2 HDR's, every now and then, and are after artistic results, then yes, NIK is a very flexible beast with masses of controls at your disposal.

For best results, work out your need first, then find the right product.

Smile
STEVELIN 6 160 3 Ireland
1 Jul 2012 12:58AM
dont know the answer to that one dave.
STEVELIN 6 160 3 Ireland
1 Jul 2012 1:20AM
only doing a few now and again ade but would like to progress with it and do more
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
1 Jul 2012 1:32AM
are you thinking of going "creative" or "realistic" - some are better than others.

I've tried so many that I forget their names lol

Oloneo is a pretty straight forward one to use - it was free when last used it, in BETA testing, but assume it's paid for now.

can't remember names of the free ones.... errr... someone will.

if you get to the stage where you're taking hundreds of HDR's in a day, then look for one that does batch processing - Photomatix does the trick for me.
Go realistic. Please.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.