Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Header files missing...help needed please.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chase
    chase Critique Team 81116 forum postschase vcard England235 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2011 - 7:46 PM

A few weeks ago I had a major problem with my computer & it had to go away to the Hospital to be fixed.
    No bugs or nasty viruses reported,something to do with part of the hard drive...which is now fixed.
    My computer man managed to 'save' my images that were located in 'my pictures' & I have them tucked away in a separate file in 'my pictures' ( btw...they were not backed up...yes,yes I know Sad )
    If I open the files I see the blue TIFF logo on each image,the file size is correct...69.9mb but nothing will open them as an actual image.They are 16bit tifs,labelled correctly as XXXX.tif.
    I have tried Photoshop & get the message 'Could not complete your request because of a program error' I have also tried Irfanview which tells me 'Can't read file header ! Unknown file format or file not found'
    If I understand correctly I need a Hex Editor to replace header files but...firstly I'm a girl Wink secondly..I'm certainly no computer expert Sad so I'm a bit stuck.
    Any information or help would be so gratefully accepted,I am suspecting there will be no quick fix but I need to try everything I can before I give up & delete the files from my computer.

I do now have a nice new back up system that does it all for me,straight onto a pretty,new external drive....yep,horse... door...bolted.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Jun 2011 - 7:46 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2011 - 9:35 PM

Not a fault I have encountered, Usually if the saved files have their correct file tag, They work as normal....?

Have you tried using Nikon ViewNX2 ....?

I checked out Hex Editors and your talking some really geeky stuff their, Beyond my remit I'm afraid.

Good luck with the recovery though....Smile

chase
    chase Critique Team 81116 forum postschase vcard England235 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Jun 2011 - 9:57 PM

Hmmm,not tried NX.
    Yep,truely geeky stuff,well beyond me,I seem to think that I will be waving goodbye to my files Sad
    Thanks for having a look though Smile

Jestertheclown
    22 Jun 2011 - 10:09 PM

A long shot, I know but have you tried renaming one of them, spelling "TIF" in caps or perhaps "tiff" or some other permutation.
    I know it's not the same thing but I ask because I once had a malware atack that (amongst other things) changed the suffix on all of my Pdfs. causing them not to open unless I changed it back.
    Just a thought.

chase
    22 Jun 2011 - 10:30 PM

Thanks jester but I have tried that...no joy Sad

Heretic
    Heretic  8 United Kingdom
    23 Jun 2011 - 10:36 AM

Again, it's a long shot, but when I bought Sandisk cards recently I got a file rescue system, that might help, it's not the same problem, but I recovered files on a currupt card (must NOT remove card with camera switched on in future!).

keithh
    keithh  1022782 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jun 2011 - 10:40 AM

I've had a real good luck around on this, Mum, and spoken to a couple of our IT mob but basically as the Header files allow different programmes to reconstruct useable files from the code - missing ones are a bit of a *&^%&^

Sad

chase
    23 Jun 2011 - 7:08 PM

Sandisk won't recover them or make them viewable sadly....the dodgy files are now on my new system in 'my photos' safely tucked away in a neat but useless file Sad

Quote: missing ones are a bit of a *&^%&^

That's the impression I got too whilst trying to find info on the interweb...boohoo,all seems lost Sad

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85862 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Jun 2011 - 8:58 PM

A long shot I know Janet, but try downloading the latest version of ACD 30 day trial and see if it will open them

Last Modified By tomcat at 23 Jun 2011 - 8:59 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.