Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Health and Safety at Weddings !

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  46186 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2013 - 1:41 PM

Quote: Thanks all for the comments and information, though i am left a little unsure how much further forward we are !

No further than halfway down the first page, really. Apply commonsense and be aware that you are (for the most part) in control, with all the pros and cons that brings with it, and Sod's Law is a good reference guide.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Aug 2013 - 1:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
9 Aug 2013 - 3:17 PM

Mostly, a Risk Assessment will attract no more than a cursory glance, but in the event of a serious accident with likely total compensation up in the millions, you can be sure that the RA will be scrutinized very carefully indeed.

Whereas our PL insurer would pay the civil compensation award and legal costs, any fine resulting from an HSE prosecution would come from our own pockets.

A few years back, baby photography in a multiple studio hadn't been properly thought out and a baby fell from desk height onto a hard floor. The studio manager was fined something like a year's pay because the risks hadn't been managed and mitigated. A good RA works better than armour-plated underwear!

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225746 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2013 - 3:22 PM

Quote: Whereas our PL insurer would pay the civil compensation award and legal costs, any fine resulting from an HSE prosecution would come from our own pockets.

Anymore than our car insurers would pay our speeding fines Smile

llareggub
llareggub  3664 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Aug 2013 - 5:35 PM

Quote: A few years back, baby photography in a multiple studio hadn't been properly thought out and a baby fell from desk height onto a hard floor. The studio manager was fined something like a year's pay because the risks hadn't been managed and mitigated. A good RA works better than armour-plated underwear!

When you say a few years back you mean longer than 5, there has not been a single prosecution by the HSE against a photographer in the last 5 years. It is possible to go back longer but I can not be bothered searching!

thewilliam
9 Aug 2013 - 8:19 PM

One of the problems with getting older is that something that we think happened last month did in fact happen last year.

This incident was well publicized at the time and,because the sentence was particularly savage, the MPA sent a circular to all members of the Cherubs scheme . This is how I learned of it.

Snapper
Snapper  93711 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2013 - 8:48 PM

Quote: A few years back, baby photography in a multiple studio hadn't been properly thought out and a baby fell from desk height onto a hard floor. The studio manager was fined something like a year's pay because the risks hadn't been managed and mitigated. A good RA works better than armour-plated underwear!

When you say a few years back you mean longer than 5, there has not been a single prosecution by the HSE against a photographer in the last 5 years. It is possible to go back longer but I can not be bothered searching!

Prosecutions are also brought by Environmental Health officers and their enforcement will not be recorded on the HSE website. It's far more likely that a photo studio will come under Environmental Health than HSE, so I don't know how you could find out about this incident.

llareggub
9 Aug 2013 - 9:30 PM

Prosecutions are also brought by Environmental Health officers and their enforcement will not be recorded on the HSE website. It's far more likely that a photo studio will come under Environmental Health than HSE, so I don't know how you could find out about this incident.

I would love you to try and provide some details as to how that would happen, if you are going to engage in a conversation you should at least make sure you have even the slightest idea what you are talking about.

It's not like you need to try hard to find out where the Environmental Health Department currently sits in terms of the UK authoritative structure, type it into Google and every day of the week you come up with the Food Standards Agency!

llareggub
9 Aug 2013 - 9:50 PM

Local authorities have Environmental health services and the health and safety aspects of those feed directly into the legislative body, which is the HSE and they are the prosecuting body and as such all prosecutions will appear on the HSE database!

The register of convictions is freely available for all http://www.hse.gov.uk/prosecutions/

Snapper
Snapper  93711 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
9 Aug 2013 - 11:15 PM

Quote: Local authorities have Environmental health services and the health and safety aspects of those feed directly into the legislative body, which is the HSE and they are the prosecuting body and as such all prosecutions will appear on the HSE database!

The register of convictions is freely available for all http://www.hse.gov.uk/prosecutions/

That is the list of cases taken by HSE. The LAs take their own cases and their figures can be accessed via the HSE website at the links on this page.

There's more information on the LA role in this book for councillors.

keithh
keithh  1022799 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 1:08 PM

Don't forget that the CRB cert is now gone and you still can't DBS yourself (the replacement) and by law you still don't require one as a wedding photographer.

Only today I read a wedding photographers website (EPZ member) where they advise people not to book a photographer without one.

Shameful use of scare tactics.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014740 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 2:15 PM

....go one, who is it Wink

keithh
24 Oct 2013 - 2:19 PM

Should take a half decent detective about five mintues to track down Wink its there still to see

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 3:00 PM

Theres quite a few wedding photographers on here Wink might take a while !

keithh
24 Oct 2013 - 3:05 PM

Well I did say half decent.Wink I was prompted to look. Isnt hard to work out.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 3:16 PM

Lol thanks Keith. I will put the new career on hold.

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 24 Oct 2013 - 3:17 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.