Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Health and Safety at Weddings !

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 3:32 PM

....ah, are we referring to he who shall not be linked to Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Oct 2013 - 3:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 3:47 PM

I dont thinks its Lucian , a quick look at his site actually shows some improvement in his work too. Although shouting out ' I dont do cheap 400 pound weddings ' and offering them for 650 is quite funny Smile

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022910 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 4:23 PM

No,much more currently visible. You have view the RA with a slight lateral thought, although not very.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, any wedding photographer who mentions a CRB needs a slap. All it confirms is that the owner of the certificate has never been caught.

Discuss. Wink

Or not

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93452 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 7:10 PM

I think it's really unfortunate how much text on so many wedding photographers' websites seems to spent talking about why you shouldn't hire the other guy, rather than producing a body of work that makes it very obvious.
In fact I've seen one site this week where it was painfully obvious to me, and probably a lot of EPZ members, just who "the other guy" was.

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2013 - 7:35 PM

Unfortunately it happens to the best of us, someone comes along and tries to wipe us out and all our hard work, steals our ideas, undercuts our prices, copies our websites , in fact i even had one dope send clients around to spy for him and they were so ludicrously bad at acting i couldn't even be bothered to attempt to close them just sent them away with an ancient contract and showed them very little work.

That results in a sort of cyber campaigning and an effort to discredit them and make yourself seem more important, but just as discreetphoton has said when you step back and look it all comes down to your work, and i am all for letting the photos do the talking and not getting dragged into this fighting over clients cr*p, get out there practice try new things improve and eventually it all pays off.

Oh and be man enough to admit when your wrong and put it right ! which i myself did just recently on here. If people want to compete and take MY business then they will need to be better than i am - and if thats the case then i will catch them up Smile

p.s thank you to llareggub , I took your comments on board and changed the pricing as you suggested , time will tell but hopefully its easier now !

Last Modified By pulsar69 at 24 Oct 2013 - 7:39 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 10:26 AM

not having a CRB is a good thing in some instances... I was "cajoled" by a very very persistent and loud business contact into doing some shots of a kiddie's charity event in Bradford. She did it all in public, I was embarrassed into doing it... that kinda thing...

anyway - a few weeks before, she asks for my CRB to which I replied "I don't have one"... at which point she asked if I could get one in time, I said "no"

result was that they wouldn't let me shoot - which was fantastic Wink

negative marketing... hmmm... I never feel favourable to websites/campaigns which have a lot of "don'ts" and "nevers" and other negative words on them...

far rather see a positive campaign, a great portfolio and testimonials....

maybe if you don't have a great portfolio and testimonials, you need to rely on a negative campaign?

who knows ?

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022910 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2013 - 10:49 AM

But by law you didnt need a CRB check and couldn't have got one even given the four weeks. The CRB or DBS as its called now is not designed to be a cover-all "I'm a safe person to be within five miles of your kids" cerrificate. Whicb is how some photographers view it.

Half of them were probably gained via 'not so honest means' anyway, which kind of negates their intended purpose. By that I mean that you cannot self check, so the cert only covers the venue or employ for which it was gained.

ade_mcfade
25 Oct 2013 - 11:07 AM

Yeah - it worked perfectly in my favour! I didn't argue or anything - it got me off the hook beautifully Wink

I've never "got" the whole CRB thing, just "noise" that other people bang on about - and apart from that particular instance, it's never been mentioned in my working life... just on here...

I guess if asked about it, maybe the correct response would be to ask "why?" - see whether they have a genuine reason or they've just read somewhere that it's the "done thing"

I wonder how many would say "Because I think you may be a paedophile" Wink

keithh
25 Oct 2013 - 11:36 AM

LOL...and for all they know, just a clever enough one not to be caught.

There will be a little band of photographers clutching their certificates and declaring to themselves its absolute requirement as they read this thread.

ade_mcfade
25 Oct 2013 - 11:41 AM

It is essential to have a valid, up to date, cycling proficiency certificate to photograph the Isle of Mann TT....

not many people know that Wink

Seriously though - how many times have you, as a paid photographer, been asked by the paying client to produce a CRB, or have on run on you?

779HOB
779HOB  21018 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Oct 2013 - 11:53 AM

Quote: how many times have you, as a paid photographer, been asked by the paying client to produce a CRB

Never, and I've just done some work for a few schools. As far as I understand it unless you are working alone with children or vulnerable adults you don't need one. So in a school the staff there are CRB'd and as long as you are with one of them you don't need your own CRB. I can't see why you would need one for a wedding, do the caterers need CRB checks for weddings?

ade_mcfade
25 Oct 2013 - 12:12 PM

Quote: do the caterers need CRB checks for weddings?

nice one Smile

keithh
25 Oct 2013 - 12:16 PM

They do if they are breast feeding

Evertonian
25 Oct 2013 - 12:40 PM

bergen-1952.jpgbergen-1940.jpgWhen I was in Norway earlier this year, mothers were delighted to have their children photographed (It was a Parade for National day, a wonderful experience) and those that I took were happy, laughing and smiling just like their mothers. Not a police person in sight despite the parades etc, everything was relaxed and went off extremely well. Those happy faces made my day and the pics are there to always remind me of how things should be here.

A parade in Liverpool warrants, Block-n-Mesh barriers everywhere and a police person every 10 yards. Very little opportunities for such candid pictures to be taken even if they were permitted.

Last Modified By Evertonian at 25 Oct 2013 - 12:45 PM
ade_mcfade
25 Oct 2013 - 12:49 PM

same in Austria this september - just fire away and enjoy Smile

and they had an Oktoberfest beer tent - result!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.