Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Hedge Trimming Advice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Taxboy
    Taxboy  12197 forum posts
    17 May 2011 - 9:05 PM

I'm looking for an alternative to my stepladder to trim a hedge which is about 11' from the ground. It is actually planted on top of a 3' retaining wall and is approx 8' high. IMy internet searches have led me to the henchman, but unfortunately for the height I need the model is too wide to fit on the path. Just to complicate matters the path has a slope on it so it might prove tricky for a scaffolding platform.

So any tips or suggestions please for what type of kit I should be looking for

TIA
    Andrew

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 May 2011 - 9:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85856 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    17 May 2011 - 9:13 PM

I personally, would NOT be trimming any hedges until the end of June, at the earliest.

Why?

Nesting birdsGrin

Not sure about the henchman, but what about Sherposcopic steps

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    17 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

what about a mini cherry picker or scissor lift (money no object of course) Smile

Camairish
    Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
    17 May 2011 - 10:48 PM

I get our neighbour (farmer) to use his tractor with trimmer attached to shear ours occaisionally - takes no time at all. If you're city bound then it's not an option obviously.

adrian_w
    adrian_w e2 Member 63279 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
    18 May 2011 - 9:55 AM

Chainsaw at 6' would solve all the problems!

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 103999 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    18 May 2011 - 10:28 AM

have you tried a drone...I hear they're pretty accurate Wink

kaybee
    kaybee  103767 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    18 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

I am with Adrian-W ............... I would be taking it down to a managable height

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    18 May 2011 - 10:37 AM

Me too

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 95987 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    18 May 2011 - 10:50 AM

I can be of absolutely help whatsoever but like Adrian says, would defer the work for a while anyway. The ivy on my garden fences is in dire need of thinning out but I'm 99% sure that a pair of wrens nest in one rather dense area so I shall wait until I'm sure there's no danger of upsetting them Smile

arnieg
    arnieg  10682 forum posts England
    18 May 2011 - 2:11 PM

you can get along handle hedge cutter petrol simlar to a strimmer but with a hedge cutter attachment on the end

roxpix
    roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
    18 May 2011 - 2:15 PM

Quote: I'm looking for an alternative to my stepladder to trim a hedge which is about 11' from the ground

Any device with a scissor or other cross blade action should cut better than your stepladders Wink

Have a look at the 5 way combination ladders in the usual DIY sheds. Abru do one
    Narrow enough for paths and easily reach 11' even when set on the platform varient

arnieg
    arnieg  10682 forum posts England
    18 May 2011 - 2:17 PM

mowersplus on the internet have some

Taxboy
    18 May 2011 - 6:35 PM

Quote: I personally, would NOT be trimming any hedges until the end of June, at the earliest.

Why?

Nesting birdsGrin

Not sure about the henchman, but what about Sherposcopic steps

Oh I totally agree I won't be trimming till late summer just starting to look around at options for how to do it Wink

The sherpascopic steps look pretty good and rather than buy they seem to be reasonably cheap to hire

Last Modified By Taxboy at 18 May 2011 - 6:58 PM
    Taxboy
    18 May 2011 - 6:36 PM

Quote: I am with Adrian-W ............... I would be taking it down to a managable height

Thats the ultimate aim but I don't just want to butcher it so will try to take it down gradually

Bridgelayer
    19 May 2011 - 9:34 PM

Two trestle ladders and a scaffolding plank would do the trick.

Just be careful, unlike this bloke.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.